Houston

Keenan Henderson

Just now, Old Titan said:

P.S.  I love the way Houston plays.  Typical Kelvin Sampson team:  bunch o' dawwwwgs.

His teams ALWAYS play hard for him. 

14 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

Would have been an easy cover tonight for TheEagleman....20 points not nearly enough...and high scoring ORU might not get 50...😬

As far as I’m concerned, give all of Phipps minutes to Amboree or Williams….

I figured we would lose but that was sickening. 

• Upvote 3

"Sunshine Pumper" Highlights of the Game:

ORU comes alive in the second half to narrowly avoid getting doubled on the scoreboard.

Freshman Cam Amboree took a nice charge soon after taking the court.

And... that's about it! 

On to Texas Southern...

Abmas...1-13....enough said....😲

I don’t like to talk down on the coaching much, as I generally think they have a system and approach that they stick with and I am used to it. I even like the style we play with. However, I don’t understand Phipps getting playing time on this team. He doesn’t even fit in the system. He doesn’t shoot well and makes questionable decisions on offense. While his effort on defense is admirable, his size makes him a liability on defense. 

• Upvote 5

17 minutes ago, TrueBlue82 said:

"Sunshine Pumper" Highlights of the Game:

ORU comes alive in the second half to narrowly avoid getting doubled on the scoreboard.

Freshman Cam Amboree took a nice charge soon after taking the court.

And... that's about it! 

On to Texas Southern...

TB82, you are about as far removed from a Sunshine Pumper as you can be.  You actually use observations to draw your conclusions, as opposed to only drinking the proverbial Kool-Aid.

Aong those lines, anyone who might think I'm somehow enjoying this current predicament because I'm so quick to criticize could not be more mistaken.

I hate it.  But, I gotta call it like I see it:  this team is horribly flawed right now, and it's a combination of poor execution and even poorer planning.  I don't think this roster is near as talented as some do, but they should be performing much better than this as a whole.

But, hey - it's only November, right??

14 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Can what ORU does while in possession of the ball technically be called an "offense"?

ORU's offense appears to be:

1) Try to crossover the on-ball defender.

2) If that doesn't work (and it usually doesn't), kick it to somebody else for a 25-ft fadeaway.

Feel bad for Max. This was his big night and he probably had the worst game in his four years with the Eagles. The only positive was the Houston guys got to play some and DJ had 12 points and 5 rebounds. Not sure where ORU goes from here. Hopefully they can improve as the season goes on.

TheEagleman might have to slide in a wager on Texas Southern tomorrow night....😉

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Not sure where ORU goes from here. Hopefully they can improve as the season goes on.

I'll tell you exactly where they go:  right down the street to Texas Southern's place where, if they don't figure something out but quick, they're gonna get run out of the gym for the second night in 24 hours.

Nowhere to go but up in terms of play, though - right?

• Upvote 1

Hey, one final note before turning in - and a somewhat positive one at that:  I thought Conner did a nice job, all things considered.

He got a little three-happy in the second half, but that's to be expected when everyone else around you is jacking it up with no regard to time and situation.

All in all, he was big-time early on, and was missed when he was out of the line-up.  He's frankly a better player than I thought he was from his video at Cal and Arkansas.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Listening to Coach on the post game show and he said that the only good thing about this game is that they have another one tomorrow and can hopefully put this loss behind them quickly.  They do not have time to think about it, like most nights when you might have four or five days in between games.

"The bench players came in and defended exceptionally. You have to if you are to earn any minutes on a Sampson-coached basketball team."

That is the absolute best quote in a very good article! I know its old-fashioned and the game has passed me by, but Defense is how you earn playing time (on a good team) ... always has been and always will be!!!

• Like 3

Last night hurt and instead of typing a tirade, I decided to sleep on it and add a few thoughts.

Pros-

Weaver played a solid game. He was probably the only player going after offensive boards but he was outmatched by Houston bigs. If he can score 10-15 a game off the bench and grab 5 to 7 boards, it will help tremendously during the conference season when our opponents are playing their young bigs off the bench.

Cam Amboree- I think we have something here. I like his game. The shot wasn't falling and a couple of his passes weren't very crisp but he's very quick and long. Will be nice to have a tall PG in the future.

Demari Williams- Looks like he belongs on a P-5 Roster. Very strong. I'm not really sure yet what his offensive game looks like  but his wingspan on defense is enormous. Will be a great defender even if his offense takes some time to come along.

Mwamba- He has a role on this team and it might be in the starting lineup sooner rather then later. I haven't seen the elite defense yet that mills was touting but i know he is recovering from an injury. He has some skills no one else has namely a pump fake and then a mid range jumper. His three pointer looked good too. Not sure he is a rebounder though, had 0 last night.

Cons-

Connor Vannover- His offensive game is a plus and his shot blocking something we haven't had in a while. However, his rebounding is a problem. Even if the ball is directly above him coming off the rim, he struggles to box out his opponents enough to grab the ball. I love that he CAN shoot three pointers but when you are that tall, your elite skill is how close you are to the rim so maybe spending more time there would be a good idea.

Max, Isaac, Kareem- too many threes. I realize we will have a game, probably in January against omaha or western illinois where we make 25 three pointers and the coaching staff tells us all how well the offense works but we do not have the horses to offensive rebound and literally no one follows their shot.... so maybe lets find another way. I've had this same thought every year- we work a great pick and roll but the other 3 players just don't move. Connor is going to draw a ton of attention, lets find some other open guys cutting.

Nate Clover- I actually really like Nate. I'm not sure what the issue is, not sure if it is him or our coaching staff but he looks constantly lost and passive. I don't know what needs to be done to unlock his offense but his defensive timing on blocks is great and has been since he was a freshman. If he can develop an edge and a desire to be a stopper and rebounder then he will carve out a nice role. He is physically imposing.

Phipps- nothing new, refer to last night's comment. He did only play 14 mins last night and the majority of it was in the final 10 mins when the bench players came in.

Houston was elite in every sense of the word. They were bigger, stronger, and faster. It made me sick when the announcers were suggesting tweaks ORU should do to stop the bleeding but our coaching staff just kept doing the same thing expecting different results. I don't think it was crazy to try a zone. Their guard Mark #12 made 4 or 5 baskets just coming off a screen and pulling up from the free throw line before connor could step up. In short, they ate our lunch and we let them do it.

A little bright spot- I think this team can still make noise. This team is better then last years team talent-wise sans an elite level rebounder but we can take a committee approach to help with that. Max started slow last year and didn't have his first "max" level game until we played OK State 5 games in. His 2nd worst game, after last night, was at Central Arkansas when we went 3 for 22 and we lost the game. He will adjust and wow us again. I had forgotten this but our Sweet 16 team didn't win against a D1 opponent until January 2nd 2021. All is not lost and adjustments will be made. Go Eagles!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Houston ranked #1 for the first time since 1983 and Five Slamma Jamma.  What a team that was with: Drexler, Hakeem, and company.  Maybe the best college basketball team that never won an NCAA championship.  Hakeem went to three final fours in three years but no championship.