Houston

Keenan Henderson

It's not every day that ORU gets a shot at a third ranked team.  Houston has maybe the best defense in all of college basketball, they only give up 45 points per game.  What are your thoughts on this tough match up?

1 hour ago, Keenan Henderson said:

It's not every day that ORU gets a shot at a third ranked team.  Houston has maybe the best defense in all of college basketball, they only give up 45 points per game.  What are your thoughts on this tough match up?

Don't get hurt! We have the rest of the season to play.

• Like 1

TheEagleman watched some of the St. Joe's vs. HOUSTON game last night. The Cougars toyed with the Hawks in a 26 point victory and if we don't shoot well they could beat us by 40....and if Max has a bad ankle....well...I don't want to think about it....ORU should just take their lumps....cash the check and rest up for Texas Southern which is a winnable game.....😬

• Like 1

Houston is known for having one of the best guard trios in college basketball but so far their front court has been even better.  Their starting forwards, Roberts and Walker, average 31 points and 19 rebounds combined.  ORU will really need Patrick to be healthy to help contain these guys.  Coach Mills cannot expect Kareem to play the four and slow those guys down.

• Like 1

Vegas line opens at Houston -18.5 and an O/U of 146.5, which equates to a projected final score of 82.5-64.  I think Houston will determine the final point spread by whether they call off the dogs, so I wouldn’t touch the line. That said, I would be intrigued by the OVER, as I think the tempo of the game will be FAST.  

And, Texas Southern upsets Arizona State at home today, giving TSU a huge confidence boost prior to the Tuesday night matchup with ORU.  

If our guys can’t get up and excited for this game, then season is done. What a great opportunity our guys have tomorrow night. I don’t need to see a win to be satisfied, but need to see some competitive fire and aggression, and some A level ball again from Max. And, can we play Cam and Demari for some quality minutes in the 2nd half if we are in a double digit deficit?

Houston is 2-0 on the season with wins over Northern Colorado (83-36) and Saint Joseph’s (81-55). They are holding opposing teams to 28.0% fg% (22.2% from 3pt/33.3% from 2pt). 

Opponents are averaging 21.5 free throw attempts per game and only 4 assists. Houston is forcing 19.5 turnovers per game and they are out rebounding opponents by 6.5 (15.5 offensive rebounds per game). They are obviously an elite defensive team. 

On offense they are shooting 47.4% (29.1% from 3pt/59.8% from 2pt). 

The Vegas line is around 17-18 points in Houston’s favor. 

Feels low; and while I have a sneaky suspicion Paul Mills will try everything to keep it respectable in front of friends and family, I fear this could be a blowout of epic proportions.

I just don’t think the diminutive guards for the Golden Eagles will be able to convert at the rim or dish to Vanover on the opposite block after getting run off the 3-point line by the Cougars perimeter length. 

And without Obanor, Lacis and Lufile, there’s not a frontline rebounder in the bunch this year.  Thirteen offensive rebounds surrendered vs. John Brown tells the story:  everyone but Max (9 boards vs JBU) is expecting Conner to get the defensive carom, and that simply is not his game.  In fact, he may end the year with as many 3-point attempts per game as rebounds (around 5 or 6).

Look, don’t get me wrong:  ORU will end up up with 20 wins this year with their favorable schedule, and may have some gaudy offensive numbers overall. But games like Houston, Saint Mary’s, Utah State and the Dakota schools will be painful reminders of the lack of physicality on this roster.

It is what it is:  80-50 Houston.  #TrustTheProcess

The line has already jumped to ORU +20 on ESPN.com and TheEagleman oh so wishes he could place a wager but i have promised to abstain for the rest of 2022 and will honor that ....but if I could I would be tempted to drop a bundle on the Cougars because I have to concur with Old Titan....this should be a big time blowout....I could only watch a few minutes of Houston vs. St. Josephs on Friday night but what I saw was jaw dropping.....this Cougar team is VERY good and will play tight D against Max...I was hoping for a breakout game for our All American but he will struggle to reach 20 tonight unless he hits a bunch of very long range bombs.....hopefully my alma mater is getting a nice big check for this game because it won't likely be pretty.....no way ORU comes closer than 20 unless Houston clears the bench in the final 10 minutes which they just might.....Houston 93 ORU 65....ouch.....😬

Who knows....maybe ORU will shock the world?.....A win tonight would sure stun TheEagleman......:circle-logoi:

• Like 1

Kelvin Sampson is a good coach and he has really turned the Houston program around and made them an elite team.  Two years ago they were in the final four and last year the Cougars were an elite 8 team.  It is a good opportunity for the Eagles and gives ORU a chance to test their offense versus Houston's tough defense.  Of course Coach Mills is always recuriting the Houston area, so a good showing the next couple of days would defintely help in the future.

ORU needs to get Patrick and Sir Isaac back to help give the Eagles some rebounding and defensive presence in the front court.

Kelvin Sampson is an excellent defensive coach and he has been consistently at several different stops throughout his career.  While he may try to recruit defensive stoppers, I think a lot of his success comes down to scheme and coaching.  I believe our team with its’ existing talent could greatly improve their defensive effort with the appropriate lineups and coaching.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, ORUalum said:

"We know how good Oral Roberts is and they have our full attention." Darn. 😆

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

…I have to concur with Old Titan....this should be a big time blowout...Houston 93 ORU 65....ouch.....😬

What is even more predictable is the grief we’ll get from The Sunshine Pumpers if ORU makes the final score more respectable late after Houston gets up by 20+ and empties their bench midway through the second half. 

Not all blowout losses are the same: hanging close for most of the game before the dam breaks near the end is much more laudable than getting buried right out of the gate only to sneak in with a back door cover late.

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Not all blowout losses are the same: hanging close for most of the game before the dam breaks near the end is much more laudable than getting buried right out of the gate only to sneak in with a back door cover late.

Unless you're @theeagleman5laying a wager; which he is NOT doing. In that case they're the same... 🤣

• Haha 1