Houston

Keenan Henderson

I agree that Houston is an outstanding team, and we will get a lesson in humility this evening. As OT says, not all blowouts are the same at all.  I want to see if a few of our players are for real or are they just the run up the stats guys against bad teams or in garbage time against good teams, 1st is Conner, can he play against the big boys? will he get in the lane and bang or is he going to float around the 3-point line and avoid the dirty work?

2nd is our 6th man that is playing 20 minutes a game, we keep getting told he doesn't play any D because he's a 3-point threat, well so far this year he is 0-8 from the field! I'm not going to list the areas I think he needs to improve before he gets the minutes he's getting, but holy cow if he's not making shots how exactly is he helping us??

The third player I'm watching tonight is Max, he's a very good player that's not playing great so far this year. If he wants to be considered a top guard in the country, he'll have a 1st team All American in Marcus Sasser in his face all night, no time like the present Max, this is an excellent opportunity to show the basketball world (and NBA scouts- who will definitely be in Houston tonight) what Ya got!!

It may be a tough 2 nights, a very difficult road back-to-back, but we'll also get to see which of our players are mentally and physically tough and who are the pretenders. 

Let's see what we've got! Go Eagles!!! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

I have on good account that Patrick will be playing tonight. He will definitely be needed. Hopefully we have a good outing, stay injury free and keep it close.

• Upvote 1

On the front page of ESPN's college basketball page, they have Houston ranked #1 in their power rankings.   

2 hours ago, Old Titan said:

What is even more predictable is the grief we’ll get from The Sunshine Pumpers if ORU makes the final score more respectable late after Houston gets up by 20+ and empties their bench midway through the second half. 

I don't think there's really an incentive for Sampson to do that since the NET takes scoring margin into account.

Houston is playing for a national championship and seeding plays a HUGE part in accomplishing that. I don't fault the Cougars if they keep up the intensity for all 40 minutes.

• Like 1

TheEagleman would be making a seriously large wager on Houston tonight had I not made what appears to be a very silly summer comment about Connor Vanover. Appears now that I totally misread that situation and it seems as if he will be a staple in the starting 5  this season unless something drastic happens.....maybe it's for the best that i am staying off this game....could happen just as OT has remarked above....ORU could be down 25-30 at half and watch it balloon to 30-35 in the 2nd half only to have Sampson empty his bench in the final quarter of the game and ORU comes back to lose by 18.....or maybe we do lose by 30+....all TheEagleman can say is that this game won't be close....Cougars are the real deal.....save it all for tomorrow vs. Texas Southern.....they are good as evidenced by the ASU upset but ORU should compete with the Tigers. 😎

For all my dour prognostications, it will be fascinating to see how ORU matches up with a team that will likely win 30 games this season and be a No. 1 or 2 seed in the NCAA tournament. 

Let’s just hope it’s not fascinating in the same sense that watching a pride of lions rip apart an impala is fascinating. 🤢

Does anyone know how to watch tonight's game if you do not have the ESPN plus subscription?  Checked with Xfinity (internet account) and they do not have the match up listed as a game you can stream.  Maybe someone on Youtube will stream it.

This is the danger when defense is an afterthought.

I could unfortunately see SDSU beating ORU by this much if something doesn't radically change.

• Upvote 1

ORU already getting outrebounded 28-12.

You'd think a team shooting 23% would have a few more offensive boards.

Can live without pretty offense but a little defense and rebounding keeps you in a lot more games. 

The Impala is mounting a comeback tearing itself from the jaws of the Cougar!  ORU leads the half and has cut the deficit to less than 50% of Houston’s total. 

I laughed out loud when one of the Houston announcers suggested ORU go to a zone with Connor in the middle of the zone. As if anyone on the ORU bench was thinking about defense. 

As I type this our 20 minute 6th man gets his third foul. Zeros in all other statistical categories. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Would have been an easy cover tonight for TheEagleman....20 points not nearly enough...and high scoring ORU might not get 50...😬

Can what ORU does while in possession of the ball technically be called an "offense"?

To the senses, perhaps - but that's about it.  #smh

P.S.  I love the way Houston plays.  Typical Kelvin Sampson team:  bunch o' dawwwwgs.

GIF by Giffffr