Schedule 22-23

Keenan Henderson

21 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

The schedule may not be super exciting but still should be competitive for the Eagles.

Is this the general consensus on the schedule this year? I think it's one of our best schedules ever and is VERY "exciting".

Honestly, I get the complaints about the 4 non-D1 games - I don't want to have to watch those games either. But outside of those games, I feel the schedule is really strong. a couple of great challenges on the road against historically powerful programs (St. Mary's and Houston). A couple of challenging road matchups that are very winnable (Texas Southern and Utah). And some great, D-1 home games in December (UCA, Mo. State, Liberty). Those are the 3 things we always ask for on this board. Props to the coaching staff on a great schedule this year. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Just one man's opinion but TheEagleman feels that because of the FOUR non D-1 games this schedule is good but not great....that is 2 non D-1 games too many.....somehow we had to figure a way to schedule a couple more D-1 teams either at home or on the road....i do understand that it appears OSU and UTA may have finked out on us at the last minute....and if that is true then i can't blame ORU for what happened.....still those four home games against patsies are very disappointing.....at this point all the Good Guys can do is play the games that are on the schedule.....Go Blue!! :shield-logo:

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

....that is 2 non D-1 games too many.....

I would agree with this. 

Scheduling 4 non D-1 games points to the financial health of the University? 

In that case, let's schedule Jenks, Union, Broken Arrow, and Owasso to home games!

40 minutes ago, oruvoice said:

In that case, let's schedule Jenks, Union, Broken Arrow, and Owasso to home games!

I can't think of another time when ORU has paid for a buy game. Maybe it has happened before but I am unaware of it.

Wonder what ORU is paying those four Non D-1 schools?....or do they just do it for a chance to play in Mabee Center?? 😎

10 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

Wonder what ORU is paying those four Non D-1 schools?....or do they just do it for a chance to play in Mabee Center?? 😎

I don't know the exact amount, but historically we've paid a small amount for games like these. I'm out of that loop, but maybe $10,000? 

3 hours ago, oruvoice said:

The financial health comment refers to the fact that in prior years, ORU needed several big "buy" games each season in order to balance the budget, and couldn't afford to have more home than away games.  Now, it appears that we have some additional flexibility, and can determine whether a "buy" game is a worthwhile endeavor.  I'm guessing that the "no one will play us" quote was really meaning that "no one will PAY us an acceptable amount", so ORU scheduled additional home games instead.  As I explained in my post, I don't like the four non D-1 games, but I definitely like the December schedule.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

16 hours ago, TrueBlue82 said:

The financial health comment refers to the fact that in prior years, ORU needed several big "buy" games each season in order to balance the budget, and couldn't afford to have more home than away games.  Now, it appears that we have some additional flexibility, and can determine whether a "buy" game is a worthwhile endeavor.  I'm guessing that the "no one will play us" quote was really meaning that "no one will PAY us an acceptable amount", so ORU scheduled additional home games instead.  As I explained in my post, I don't like the four non D-1 games, but I definitely like the December schedule.

Fair enough. Thanks for clarifying and that makes sense. Although personally, if the funds are in order, I'd prefer us "buy" one really awesome home game as opposed to having four NAIA/D-2 games, even if that means we have to take another buy game on the road at a P5 and have a couple fewer home games against John Brown & Rogers State. 

• Upvote 3

It is a shame we could not schedule a home/away with Liberty.  First, I think it would be good for both schools to start scheduling each other not only in MBB but other sports as well.  If we wanted to pay for our trip to Lynchburg next year, try calling either UVa or VaTech both of whom are within a very short drive from Lynchburg.  Or if we wanted to schedule home/aways with other good Mid-Majors, JMU and Richmond are just down the road.  I have said it before, schedule a home/away series with a good Mid-Major and then find a nearby P-5 to pay for the trip.  Case in point, schedule a home/away with Duquesne University and then take a taxi 2 nights later to the Petersen Events Center and play Pitt.  Total travel distance between the 2 universities is less than the drive we take to play Tulsa.  If you want another pay game while in the area go an hour south to Morgantown and play WVU or go an hour northeast to Happy Valley and play Penn State.  This is not rocket science.  Also, we have a nice fan base in the east/northeast portion of the country.  I was at PSU when we played there several years ago and we had probably 300 - 400 fans show up.  A couple years before that we filled an entire section of Mountaineer Fieldhouse when we played WVU.  In Ohio, schedule a home/away with Ohio University and then 2 nights later go an hour up US 33 and play OSU, or travel into Cincinnati and play either XU or Cincy and then schedule a home/away with Miami and/or Dayton or go south an hour and play Kentucky or Louisville.  You get the idea.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, ORU82 said:

It is a shame we could not schedule a home/away with Liberty.  First, I think it would be good for both schools to start scheduling each other not only in MBB but other sports as well.

Unfortunately Liberty wouldn’t play us without a paycheck. 

A series would have been better. 

4 hours ago, oruvoice said:

Fair enough. Thanks for clarifying and that makes sense. Although personally, if the funds are in order, I'd prefer us "buy" one really awesome home game as opposed to having four NAIA/D-2 games, even if that means we have to take another buy game on the road at a P5 and have a couple fewer home games against John Brown & Rogers State. 

Agree with this

Coming from someone who did the scheduling, it can be extremely difficult. Scheduling with a recent historic NCAA run + the return of Max, I couldn’t even imagine. The big dogs don’t want to play you. No one wants the potential of a bad loss. The mid-majors/low-majors expect to get a check.

Personally, I’ve never seen 4 non-D1s, but I get it. If no one will play you, you have to finish the schedule. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Right on Mr Two Five!! I shared basically what you said months ago but it seems many are not convinced. I have seen texts and emails and without saying more you are 100% correct. We can continue to talk about this subject but facts are facts and the AD and coaches wanted to  and attempted to play more difficult competition.