Schedule 22-23

Keenan Henderson

Looking ahead to the first game on November 7th.  St. Mary's website has the ORU game listed as a 7 pm tip off time (9 PM Central/Tulsa time) on opening night.  Remember the Gaels made the NCAA tournament last year and beat Indiana in the first round.  They have been to 14 straight post season tournaments (7 NCAA's and 7 NIT's).  Gonzaga gets all the press, but St. Mary's has become one of the best mid majors in college basketball.  We used to say ORU was striving to be the next Gonzaga but maybe we should have said the next St. Mary's!

Missouri State has announced the final version of their schedule, confirming the Bears will visit the Mabee Center Friday, Dec. 16th. 

Here's hoping this time we can keep the squirrels out of the transformers nearby... (Google it)

1 hour ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Looking ahead to the first game on November 7th.  St. Mary's website has the ORU game listed as a 7 pm tip off time (9 PM Central/Tulsa time) on opening night.  Remember the Gaels made the NCAA tournament last year and beat Indiana in the first round.  They have been to 14 straight post season tournaments (7 NCAA's and 7 NIT's).  Gonzaga gets all the press, but St. Mary's has become one of the best mid majors in college basketball.  We used to say ORU was striving to be the next Gonzaga but maybe we should have said the next St. Mary's!

St Mary's is an excellent program that is extremely well coached. Coach Bennett is an outstanding coach that has been there for a long time and built a top-notch program. They don't get the five-star guys, but they will not beat themselves. They will execute their offense, they will not turn the ball over, and will make the extra pass for good high percentage shoots. They will play very solid team defense; they will box out and rebound well as a team.  They will play fundamentally sound TEAM basketball and if we don't play tough D or commit too many TO's and shoot bad low percentage shots they will send us home from Moraga with a bad loss.

We will need to play our very best for 40 minutes to stay in the game and give ourselves a chance to win at their place.  If we have stretches, where we play poorly, they will take full advantage of it.  Other than Houston we will not play a better team this year and Keenan is absolutely right that as a program and fan base we would be thrilled to be consistently reaching the level of success the Gaels program is enjoying!!!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Missouri State has announced the final version of their schedule, confirming the Bears will visit the Mabee Center Friday, Dec. 16th. 

Here's hoping this time we can keep the squirrels out of the transformers nearby... (Google it)

Looks like the Bears have St. Mary's one month after the game with ORU (12/7).  It will be a good gauge of where the Bears are playing wise before our game with them on the 16th.

It's September 16th.....and still waiting....Image result for kramer seinfeld photos

John Brown....OK Baptist....Bacone and Rogers State?......ugh.....not exactly what TheEagleman was hoping for.....but it is what it is......Image result for george costanza photos

23 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

John Brown....OK Baptist....Bacone and Rogers State?......ugh.....not exactly what TheEagleman was hoping for.....but it is what it is......Image result for george costanza photos

I agree that our OOC schedule is a little disappointing with 4 dogs, but it is what it is. What will be interesting to me is how coach uses his starters; particularly Max, in those games. How many minutes do you play Max against John Brown between a very tough west coast game and a trip down to TX for a back-to-back that includes Houston who is pre-season ranked in the top 10?  Or against OK Baptist before heading out to play a good Utah St. team.

The balancing act for coach is do you play Max 25-30 minutes against teams we will beat by 60 so he can remain among the nation's top scorers (we get a lot of media having one of the nation's leading scorers!). Do you risk an injury to Max in the 2nd half against Rodgers St when you're up 50 that could linger all season?  Do you just sit him out completely to let him rest and not hurt his scoring average? When you have 4 of these glorified scrimmages it raises some questions, how do you use Max in these games?

• Upvote 1

Between the Nov. 22nd game at Utah State and the Dec. 29th game at Omaha, ORU does not have to leave the city of Tulsa.   So, for the most part, the travel schedule favors the Golden Eagles.

In all they play 30 games and 16 at home.  Not saying they will win them all but besides the Houston game, they should have a reasonable shot to pull off the victory in the other non-conference games. I would probably say that ORU will go 9-3 in non-conference games.

The four non D1 games give coach a chance to see if the young guys like Cam and Herron are ready to contribute this year.

NOVEMBER

Nov 7 (Mon) -- at St. Mary's

NOV 11 (FRI) -- JOHN BROWN (Homecoming) 

Nov 14 (Mon) -- at Houston

Nov 15 (Tue) -- at Texas Southern

NOV 19 (SAT) -- OKLAHOMA BAPTIST

Nov. 22 (Tue) -- at Utah State

NOV 27 (SUN) -- ROGERS STATE

NOV 29 (TUE) -- BACONE

DECEMBER

Dec 3 (Sat) -- at Tulsa

DEC 10 (SAT) -- CENTRAL ARKANSAS

DEC. 12 (MON) -- LIBERTY

DEC 16 (FRI) -- MISSOURI STATE

DEC 19 (MON) -- SOUTH DAKOTA STATE*

DEC 21 (WED) -- SOUTH DAKOTA*

Dec 29 (Thu) -- at Omaha*

Dec 31 (Sat) -- at Denver*

* Summit League game

This is one of the most unusual - and potentially historic - November and December schedules I've ever seen for ORU Basketball:

• Sixteen games - more than half the schedule - played by Jan. 1.
  • One of the earliest starts to the season ever (Nov. 7)
  • One of the earliest starts to conference play ever (Dec. 19)
  • Four conference games played before New Year's Day.
  • Eight straight games in the city limits (unprecedented for ORU in Nov-Dec)
  • More than a month between true road trips (also unheard of for ORU in Nov-Dec)

Guessing that Vegas will have ORU as an underdog for every single road game during this stretch, except Omaha.

And ORU will be favored in all their home games, except possibly Liberty and/or SDSU.

Which conceivably puts the record in this 16-game stretch somewhere in the 8-8 to 10-6 range overall, and 3-1 or 2-2 in conference play.

But, if they can manage to sweep those Summit League games AND beat TU in the Reynolds Center to be standing something like 12-4 headed into 2023? 

Then, it truly has been been a "preseason to remember".

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Going back to the beginning of the thread for this topic, Eagle 88 said way back on page 1 that he talked to Tim Johnson, and no one wanted to schedule ORU.  So, that statement was true, and no Power 5 teams would schedule ORU.  The Eagles get one shot at knocking off a big-name school in Houston.  If they could pull it off, then that would be like the win at Kansas about 15 years ago.  

Looks like ORU traded OSU and UTA for John Brown and Oklahoma Baptist.  What do the local fans (Tulsa area) who go to the home games think of the home schedule?

If I was a local fan I would have very little interest in coming to the MC for preseason action, with exception of Liberty and Missouri State. If I was a student I would feel deprived of seeing top level basketball on our home court. Even the games that are decent draws are during times the students are on break. I would love to know if this is the schedule Coach Mills wants or is it truly due to OSU and UTA (cowards) pulling out. 

• Upvote 2

While I’m on a rant (excuse me), I can’t believe we are recruiting quality players to come and play OBU, Bacone, Roger’s State and John Brown. One game, maybe two. I know what TJ said about scheduling, but he  needs to start living by the phrase on the baseline, “Expect a Miracle” and get a few more worthwhile home games. I’m done now. 

• Upvote 2

Our home schedule is not ideal but I can tell you with certainty the staff did all they could to schedule better competition. It seems that there are a lot of coaches out there that are CYA(cover your assets)! In my opinion we need to get some big road wins and become known as a team that can play consistently with the big boys. We used to be the team the bigs wanted to play because we were a guaranteed win. Currently we are a dangerous team because we are not a guaranteed win. Next stop is we become a blue chip program where the bigs will schedule us. This is not an easy task but there are mid majors that have done it! One positive about playing Bacone, Oklahoma Baptist etc is we should get to see most if all of our players on the court. If OT has any eligibility left maybe he will get some playing time! Go Eagles!