Schedule 22-23

Keenan Henderson

38 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

ORU vs. St. Peter's would be a fantastic match up.....maybe we could work out a home and home deal?  Probably too much to ask at this point....but what a great idea!.....😎

It looks like they haven't finalized their non-conference schedule yet ....

1 minute ago, titansforever said:

It looks like they haven't finalized their non-conference schedule yet ....

I saw that too.  Eagleman should go talk to the SPU athletic director and pitch the possibilities. 😍

Just now, Bogus Smith said:

I saw that too.  Eagleman should go talk to the SPU athletic director and pitch the possibilities. 😍

Can you imagine the publicity that this would generate? Two Cinderella teams facing each other for the ultimate bragging rights? "Who will come away with the glass slipper?" "Best match-up this side of the pearly gates!"

Catholics vs. the Pentacostals......1500 miles is a long way to travel but that would have ESPN written all over it......Coach Mills needs to make the call.....:hc_mills:

There are about 50 schools St. Peters could play within an hour or so drive from their home in Jersey City, and a couple dozen of them are also Catholic.

I realize the idea is somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but explain to me why ANY school in that area might choose to play a private, evangelical low-major from Oklahoma, here or there?

Here's the basic map that schools like St. Peters use in planning their schedule:

357-777x1024.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Old Titan said:

There are about 50 schools St. Peters could play within an hour or so drive, and a couple dozen of them are also Catholic.

Explain to me why they would choose to play a school from Oklahoma, here or there?

Here's the basic map that schools like St. Peters use in planning their schedule:

357-777x1024.jpg

It's that whole "Make no little plans here" thing that we've been taught.... We're just crazy dreamers!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, theeagleman5 said:

Catholics vs. the Pentacostals......1500 miles is a long way to travel but that would have ESPN written all over it......Coach Mills needs to make the call.....:hc_mills:

We can bill it as the Super Bowl of questionable theology! 

• Like 1

I think St. Peter’s also lost most of their players as their coach left and the starters spread to the wind. The incoming coach has a big rebuilding project on his hands.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, ORUTerry said:

I think St. Peter’s also lost most of their players as their coach left and the starters spread to the wind. The incoming coach has a big rebuilding project on his hands.

I wonder how many low-to-mid majors that advanced to the Sweet Sixteen and beyond were able to keep their coach following their Cinderella runs?

Davidson with Bob McKillop is one I can think of; he stayed after making a splash with Steph Curry.  But he was already in his sixties and wasn't interested in starting over somewhere new.

Homer Drew at Valpo is another example, but similar to McKillop he was an older fixture and had no interest in leaving.

There aren't many who stay; most cash in for the bigger money as the coach at St. Peter's did.

Paul Mills is certainly an exception with his increase in pay and length of new contract.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Interesting fact is that I’ve heard Homer contacted ORU twice about the head coaching position: when Self left and a couple of years later when Hinson left. 

The St. Peter's head coach went to his alma mater at Seton Hall.....so no shame in that.....but agree that ORU keeping coach Mills and upgrading his deal was a great move.....this will pay off over the rest of the decade as ORU becomes the Gonzaga of the Midwest.....😉

• Like 1

23 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

1500 miles may be a long way to travel, but we are doing it going to Moraga, CA (St. Mary's) and more so to Pullman, WA (Washington St.).  We have a ton of alums on the east coast that would make their way to Philly on Amtrak from DC and NY, too.  It would be good for the university, even if it wasn't a home-and-home.  We need to continue our presence on the east coast.

2 minutes ago, Bogus Smith said:

1500 miles may be a long way to travel, but we are doing it going to Moraga, CA (St. Mary's) and more so to Pullman, WA (Washington St.).  We have a ton of alums on the east coast that would make their way to Philly on Amtrak from DC and NY, too.  It would be good for the university, even if it wasn't a home-and-home.  We need to continue our presence on the east coast.

A marketer's dream. David and Goliath bobbleheads! 

Maybe the coaches already thought of this and made a call and were turned down. Who knows?

7 hours ago, titansforever said:

A marketer's dream. David and Goliath bobbleheads!

Actually, while WE might think it would "must-see TV", I question whether ESPN would be very interested in this matchup.  They like Goliath vs. Goliath (of course), and a few David vs. Goliath matchups for variety (and the chance of an upset), but there's not much hype about David vs. David!  And, as mentioned before, I can imagine that St. Peter's wants nothing to do with ORU right now, since ORU was able to keep their coach and most of the roster - and St. Peter's was decimated.  It would not be a very favorable comparison for the most recent Cinderella. 

This entire line of debate is starting to remind me of an old (and inappropriate) Saturday Night Live skit...

Maybe we should be posing the question "Captain America or Thor: who would you pick to replace Francis in the starting line-up this season?"

It's been a long hot summer....what else do we have to talk about? Mar-A- Lago?? 🤪

• Haha 1