Well, now what?

Old Titan

On 2/19/2022 at 12:28 PM, Old Titan said:

All their fans are convinced he's leaving after this year; not sure if that means he's going pro, transferring, or just getting on with life ala RJ Fuqua. 

He's a fourth-year junior; seems like a really sharp guy.  Probably has a ton of options.

I thought it was because his left arm is worn out from clearing out the defender on EVERY SINGLE DRIVE that he just can't go on.  Maybe I'm wrong.

• Haha 1

Whether you feel that Juwan Howard should have been fired or not, I gotta say this is the appropriate response from his standpoint:  an earnest apology, to everyone associated with the university that he embarrassed with his actions.

Just sayin'... 🙄

Finally found a copy of the mysterious Summit League press release that was at minimum provided to media outlets that cover the conference.  Thanks to KTUL's TJ Eckert for posting it.

It includes the "joint statement" from ORU and NDSU; wonder if anyone from the two schools had any input on the wording, or if they just signed-off on it from the league. 

The last line in the release says it all in terms of how this deal was handled:  "The League office will have no further comment on this incident".  #weaksauce

91596046_Untitled3.thumb.jpeg.c1984eea6ba40d43731c7a6f03781252.jpeg

I'm sorry, but did I miss his apology to ORU alumni and fans who were/are left to explain/defend his actions to family and friends?

Not Coach Mills' finest hour, in so many ways...#smh

I don't think any ORU Alum or fan is happy this incident happened but speaking for myself it is not a major issue to me. I am guessing most other ORU fans feel the same way although I could be wrong. We now live in a world where the media controls the narrative and they want to control the optics based on a politically correct outcome.  The media loves to portray Christians as passive and non aggressive and when we Christian men( who are not perfect) show some testosterone we are villified.  In my opinion if the media would simply just report the news and not set the narrative most people wouldn't  be as concerned with incidents like this. A  good test of what I am saying is this:  Let the free enterprise system decide. If what happened last Thursday in Fargo is a huge issue to ORU fans then ORU will be hit financially. I for one will most likely give as much or more next year because I love ORU and the  product it produces! Keep up the great work Coach Mills and company!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Thanks for that, 88....TheEagleman pretty much concurs with your thoughts.....I am not upset with the incident....stuff happens....nobody got hurt and the coaches and players on both sides hopefully learn from this....Coach Mills handled it like a Christian man and apologized....besides it wasn't near as bad as Michigan vs. Wisconsin......Press on!!  👍

Total non-incident in my opinion. No apology necessary from Mills to the ORU base, in fact, I'm thankful he didn't. Apologies probably necessary to NDSU and his own players, which I assume were done in private. What Mills did and what Juwan Howard did are not in the same category. 

Sorry guys, I couldn't disagree more.

It was a PR black eye and not what I want to see from my coach as an alum and a season ticket holder.

ORU daily shouts from the mountaintop on all manner of public forums that "We are different; we answer to a higher calling".

Act like it, please.

And, when you fall short (as we all do), apologize to your staunchest supporters.

• Upvote 1

So good to have different opinions! Lets continue to fight for the freedom we dearly cherish( 1st amendment) in our nation. A difference in viewpoints can make us all better!

On 2/24/2022 at 8:45 AM, Old Titan said:

91596046_Untitled3.thumb.jpeg.c1984eea6ba40d43731c7a6f03781252.jpeg

I'm sorry, but did I miss his apology to ORU alumni and fans who were/are left to explain/defend his actions to family and friends?

Not Coach Mills' finest hour, in so many ways...#smh

I will never understand this kind of behavior policing. I’m not explaining anything about Paul to anyone. He’s a grown adult. Get over it. 

2 hours ago, WingMaaaan said:

I will never understand this kind of behavior policing. I’m not explaining anything about Paul to anyone. He’s a grown adult. Get over it. 

And I will never understand why it's now chic to blithely excuse unacceptable conduct to avoid "behavior policing", or "cancel culture", or "being woke", or whatever clever misnomer is the popular talk radio tripe-de-jour.

It's simple:  ORU is a brand.  He represents the brand.  He's (as of last spring) the highest-paid employee on campus to promote the brand.  And, he (potentially? definitely?) embarrassed the brand, locally, nationally, and (dare I say) throughout the basketball world.

Many in his relative position in corporate America would lose their jobs for such "behavior".  You want to excuse it, fine WAIT, WAIT, NOT MAKING THIS UP - 9:34PM FRIDAY NIGHT, I JUST GOT A TEXT OUT OF THE BLUE FROM A FORMER ORU BASKETBALL PLAYER SAYING WORD-FOR-WORD:  "Lol i saw in paper (Paul Mills) apologized to those he should. Ges (sic) i missed it?" 

Not the first such missive I have received since last Thursday.

So, I suppose I should text this letter-winning ORU alum back and tell him, "Get over it."??  #smh

20 hours ago, Old Titan said:

And I will never understand why it's now chic to blithely excuse unacceptable conduct to avoid "behavior policing", or "cancel culture", or "being woke", or whatever clever misnomer is the popular talk radio tripe-de-jour.

It's simple:  ORU is a brand.  He represents the brand.  He's (as of last spring) the highest-paid employee on campus to promote the brand.  And, he (potentially? definitely?) embarrassed the brand, locally, nationally, and (dare I say) throughout the basketball world.

Many in his relative position in corporate America would lose their jobs for such "behavior".  You want to excuse it, fine WAIT, WAIT, NOT MAKING THIS UP - 9:34PM FRIDAY NIGHT, I JUST GOT A TEXT OUT OF THE BLUE FROM A FORMER ORU BASKETBALL PLAYER SAYING WORD-FOR-WORD:  "Lol i saw in paper (Paul Mills) apologized to those he should. Ges (sic) i missed it?" 

Not the first such missive I have received since last Thursday.

So, I suppose I should text this letter-winning ORU alum back and tell him, "Get over it."??  #smh

Mistakes happen—most people forgive these kind of mistakes and move on. 

“I blew it. I own it,” Mills said. “I’ve apologized to all of the appropriate parties.”

If Paul was contesting the fine, that would be one thing. Your obsessive need to have him prove how sorry he is endemic of a culture in the church that is a major contributor to our churches shrinking. Let it go. Relax. 

And to answer your question, yes you and ANY of your complaining brethren should spare yourself the high blood pressure and get over it. 🙂 

• Upvote 1

• ORUTerry locked this topic