Well, now what?

Old Titan

I didn't see any of this nonsense as I turned off the game when the NDSU player got hurt near the end.  The game was over and I was disgusted (will post more about that in the game thread).

First of, agreed its a bad look and not my proudest day as an ORU alum.  BUT no laws or NCAA rules were broken.  Emotions got out of hand and that is very unfortunate.  Not good but its not like this has never happened in sports....or even at ORU.  Remember that great story Eagleman told about Eddie Woods and Oral coming on the floor?  I also remember some chippy baseball games with Oklahoma State in the 80's.

But I do want to go on the record that I don't like NDSU.  Period.  They were petty and chippy the entire game.  Hanging on the rim.  Blocking our player from getting to the baseline for the inbounds pass after their made bucket.  Crap like that the whole game.  I was further aggravated during the halftime interview when, in a show of false humility, their coach refers to himself in the third person.  He's a 3rd tier coach for a program few people even know exists let alone care about.  Spare me.

So they've got some attitude because their mad they lost to us in the Summit League tournament last year.  I got no problem with that.  But in my extremely biased view, they took more than heightened emotion into the game. For them it was more personal than it should have been.

I get it.  Coach Whoever had to hear the boys at the gas n sip and the John Deere dealership talk all off season about how they never should have lost to ORU in the Summit League tournament.  "That should have been us making that NCAA tournament run."  So in his little world its been eating at him since last March.  The fish rots from the head down friends and that nonsense from their players at the end of and after the game didn't just come out of nowhere.  Especially that fool that was jumping in the air taunting Coach Mills.

Having said that, they have a good team.  They hit a number of very contested shots last night.  They have good ball movement and play well together.

To be fair, our behavior is on Coach Mills and I hope I am right that he will own it and address it.  I don't have as high of expectations for  a classless program in the Dakotas.

Otis out.

Edited by Otis 83
I thought of one positive thing to say about NDSU
  • Upvote 2

After getting more details no question NDSU were the instigators and demonstrated classless behavior.  In my opinion where we went wrong was by engaging in it once provoked. With that said it is easy for me to say that being a fan and not being out their on the floor. Eli got punched by 2 Bison players and then went to try and defend Coach Mills. As always the lame stream media NEVER reports the whole story! By DJ tackling Eli he definitely saved him from  a potentially more severe penalty.  I like your analysis Otis and agree with what you said. From what I heard the guys are more united and ready to fight harder together! Go Eagles!

2 hours ago, eagle88 said:

After getting more details no question NDSU were the instigators and demonstrated classless behavior.  In my opinion where we went wrong was by engaging in it once provoked. With that said it is easy for me to say that being a fan and not being out their on the floor. Eli got punched by 2 Bison players and then went to try and defend Coach Mills. As always the lame stream media NEVER reports the whole story! By DJ tackling Eli he definitely saved him from  a potentially more severe penalty.  I like your analysis Otis and agree with what you said. From what I heard the guys are more united and ready to fight harder together! Go Eagles!

It’s always a bad idea to retaliate against a perceived “dirty” or “unsportsmanlike” play. 9 times out of 10, the person who retaliates is the one who gets punished most. There are times to fight, and times to let it go. It seems last night that we should have fought a lot more during the game, not after. 

I agree with those saying that Coach Mills needs to be the adult. Don’t be a sore loser or a bad sport. Especially right after a game. It literally never helps anything. Keep the big picture in mind, and hope the team learns something from the loss.

Overall, I think we should remember that all the team goals for the season are still in play. Maybe this incident will be a spark of sorts that gets the team refocused. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ManiacAlum said:

Well at least there haven't been any sensational news headlines:

6-foot-7 behemoth tackled by own teammate as college basketball game breaks into fight

LOL - suddenly, "Big Maple" seems not at all apt as Eli's moniker.

Should probably start immediately on a "moment merch" NIL t-shirt design featuring "The Big Behemoth". 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Old Titan said:

I don't think many of us realize what a big night this was for NDSU; battle for 2nd Place and all that entails, several seniors plus junior Sam Griesel playing their last home games this weekend, big push all week leading up to pack the house, then playing what they themselves are calling their most complete game of the year. 

Having their bench players get a taste late was icing on the cake.  Emotions running a little too high there at the end.

OT, why would Sam Griesel be playing his last game? He graduating early?

50 minutes ago, Eaglefan 21 said:

OT, why would Sam Griesel be playing his last game? He graduating early?

All their fans are convinced he's leaving after this year; not sure if that means he's going pro, transferring, or just getting on with life ala RJ Fuqua. 

He's a fourth-year junior; seems like a really sharp guy.  Probably has a ton of options.

NOTE:  While there've been some excellent posts already on the "ORU vs. NDSU" thread re: the Michigan-Wisconsin fiasco, I'm continuning that conversation here as well, since this thread is intended to address fallout from what happened in Fargo, of which there is plenty...

So, nice seeing ORU mentioned along with the Big Ten boys all over the sports channels on Sunday night and no doubt all day today on local and national sports talk radio & TV shows.

Friday night even saw a high school dust-up that evoked references to the ORU-NDSU incident.  Here's Bill Haisten's Sunday morning column in the Tulsa World:

After back-to-back incidents, is it time to eliminate the postgame handshake line_ _ ORU Sports Extra _ tulsaworld.com-01.jpg

Memo to the Summit League office:  here's how the big boys handle a PR crisis.  This was announced within an hour of the Michigan-Wisconsin game.  Now, THAT is "getting out in front of the narrative".

Did the Summit League ever release ANYTHING official about the ORU-NDSU incident and punishments?  All I've seen is second-hand responses from apparently-leaked info re: the suspensions & fines Friday evening.  There are no mentions at all of the incident on the conference website or their official basketball Twitter account (@SummitHoops).

This is from the Tulsa World on Saturday, an excellent bit of reporting from young Bryce McKinnis, which references a "release" from the Summit League office re: the penalties, and a "joint statement" from ORU and NDSU, trying to put the matter to bed.  Guessing that was the commissioner's version of "You two shake hands and make-up".

Thing is, I can find neither of these pronouncements on either school's athletic or university websites, or on the Summit League website. 

Nor can I find them on social media, or mentioned in any Google searches.

Which leads me to believe this information was only provided to league media outlets and was not intended for public consumption.  

Hey, that's OK - no need to get these statements directly from the horse's mouth, we can trust the media to act as de facto mouthpieces for the league and the two schools, right?

EDITOR'S NOTE:  that's a rhetorical question to emphasize the league's mishandling of this situation, NOT an invitation to go on generalized diatribes about the so-called fake news media.  Resist the tempation! (lol)

Conference imposes equitable penalties to ORU, NDSU after conflict _ ORU Sports Extra _ tulsaworld.com 1.jpg

Conference imposes equitable penalties to ORU, NDSU after conflict _ ORU Sports Extra _ tulsaworld.com.jpg

Maybe time to do away with the aftergame handshakes? Never was a big fan of those overall. 

I can't imagine Howard not getting suspended for the rest of the year. This is not the first incident for him. 

13 minutes ago, darrenj said:

Maybe time to do away with the aftergame handshakes? Never was a big fan of those overall. 

I can't imagine Howard not getting suspended for the rest of the year. This is not the first incident for him. 

Respectfully disagree. Time for adults to act like adults and teach young adults to respect others, even if they are not happy with the outcome. It is time to learn what Jesus meant when He taught, "Blessed are the meek...." In the Greek understanding of the word, "meek" had to do with the breaking in of horses. Training and containing the passion, spirit and energy of a wild animal. Aristotle taught that the meek person "is the one who feels anger on the right grounds, against the right person, in the right manner, at the right moment, for the right amount of time."

Handshake line is a practical way for men to act like men. Do battle on the court, and leave the aggression on the floor, where it belongs.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Getting rid of post game displays of respect is not a good idea, IMO, though many have suggested it. Athletics is a teaching/mentorship tool more than anything else(or at least it's supposed to be). The sportsmanship aspect of athletics is huge, and when coaches slip up and fail (starting a fight in this case), it's a good opportunity for learning/growth not just by the coaches but by the players. 

Getting rid of the postgame handshake line would indicate a full-on acceptance that college athletics no longer has anything to do with teaching/mentoring/growing. Not sure how much of that is left, but it's worth attempting to preserve what is left. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dave said:

Respectfully disagree. Time for adults to act like adults and teach young adults to respect others, even if they are not happy with the outcome. It is time to learn what Jesus meant when He taught, "Blessed are the meek...." In the Greek understanding of the word, "meek" had to do with the breaking in of horses. Training and containing the passion, spirit and energy of a wild animal. Aristotle taught that the meek person "is the one who feels anger on the right grounds, against the right person, in the right manner, at the right moment, for the right amount of time."

Handshake line is a practical way for men to act like men. Do battle on the court, and leave the aggression on the floor, where it belongs.

I don't mind at all. Wish it wasn't the case where these things come up more and more. 

• Like 1

Here's a column from Guering Emig of the Tulsa World that will run on Tuesday morning on the front page of the Sports section.

He makes a point of the fact the COACHES instigated these two incidents, not the players, and they are the ones who need to modify their behavior.

Simply embarrassing - no other way to describe it.

Emig1.jpg

Emig2.jpg

Emig3.jpg

Emig4.jpg

I was watching the Michgan game yesterday on CBS and it seemed odd that Coach Howard was running a full court press when his team was down around 20 with a minute to go and Wisconsin had basically put in their walk-ons and other guys who never play.  Then the press caused a few turnovers and made it a 14 point game with 15 seconds left and Michigan is fouling Wisconsin.  Sure you want to win but the game is over.  It just seemed out of place.

Teams want to fight to the buzzer but if the game is over with a minute to go then let it end.  Stop the press, the fouling, etc.  It just feels like the opposing team is dragging out the outcome for really no reason.  Plus it can make the other team angry and lead to post game problems.  Hopefully teams that are behind by 20 with a minute to go will just let it end gracefully.