ORU at NDSU

ORUTerry

You want to press and foul until the last second, then I’ll continue to go down hill on you.  You back off, NDSU backs off.   You got nothing to complain about

4 minutes ago, Herd said:

You want to press and foul until the last second, then I’ll continue to go down hill on you.  You back off, NDSU backs off.   You got nothing to complain about. 

what’s pathetic is pressing and fouling, then whining that the other team kept playing.  You control that, and you made your decision.

4 minutes ago, Herd said:

You want to press and foul until the last second, then I’ll continue to go down hill on you.  You back off, NDSU backs off.   You got nothing to complain about

That's not the issue. No problem with the late game scoring.

Richman, Brown, and their players getting in our coaches faces and pushing was garbage behavior.

Several guys in Blue not showing up again tonight....a dead man with as many points as a couple of our starters....as for the NDSU unsportsmanlike behavior at the end....well....Bison better hope they don't see ORU in Sioux Falls...🤬

6 minutes ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

That's not the issue. No problem with the late game scoring.

Richman, Brown, and their players getting in our coaches faces and pushing was garbage behavior.

Down twenty with a minute to play, 30 Sec, 20 Sec, 10 sec, pressing and fouling.  You make your bed.

Discussion Clearly initiated by your coach, responded to by our coaches, get that point straight.

we would have gladly backed off, but you wanted to play it to the buzzer.  Your choice, just don’t whine about it.

Herd, if your comment about pathetic was in reference to my comment above "Absolutely pathetic", I made that comment with about 7 minutes to go in the game and it was referring to how ORU was performing and had nothing to do with NDSU.  

2 minutes ago, ORU82 said:

Herd, if your comment about pathetic was in reference to my comment above "Absolutely pathetic", I made that comment with about 7 minutes to go in the game and it was referring to how ORU was performing and had nothing to do with NDSU.  

My apology.   Yes ORU will have some extra motivation next time out.

Just now, Herd said:

Down twenty with a minute to play, 30 Sec, 20 Sec, 10 sec, pressing and fouling.  You make your bed.

Discussion Clearly initiated by your coach, responded to by our coaches, get that point straight.

we would have gladly backed off, but you wanted to play it to the buzzer.  Your choice, just don’t whine about.

Is that why your coaches were clapping in our players faces in the handshake line? Richman, Brown, and all those players don't know how to act.

I could do with less of the Boden.

I love the passion from Big Maple.

Just need to move on and beat ND.

I certainly think KC is playing well right now and can help us out on Saturday…..

Lufile had a bloody mouth so something happened.

21 Boden Skunberg was definitely instigating something with Coach Mills.  I watched it several times.  Anyone else watch it?  

Very disappointing game all around.

Tough ending to a game, hate to see that kind of thing happen. I gotta lot of respect for the ORU program and their accomplishments. There was a lot of chippy chatter throughout the game and I kind of figured something was going to boil over when Mills chose to full court press down 20 with 25 seconds left. I Especially knew when our walk-on chose to make a lay up instead of run out the clock something was going to be said. I watched Mills go through the handshake line and when he finished made a direct route to Coach Richman instead of going to the lockerrom and proceeded to lay into him about us choosing to score at the end of the game. Then all hell broke loose...

I havent gotten a chance to listen to Coach Mills post game but I know Richman regrets how it all went down and said so in his post game comments.

VERY interesting case of basketball ethics here. Does NDSU have the right to score when being pressed? Should ORU be pressing down 20 with under a minute? 

ORU has pressed and pushed the game for the entire 40 minutes Mills' whole time at ORU. It's the typical "play to the final whistle mentality" and personally, I like it. Obviously, the obligation of "respecting the opponent" and slowing down the game and/or dribbling out the game falls on the team that is winning in a blowout, not the losers. The losers hold no responsibility to change anything. That being said, when you do continue full tilt, you probably do lose the ability to complain when an opponent steals the ball and goes and scores. I would argue that ORU is well within their rights to press no matter how far down they are and that the NDSU walk-on that stole the ball SHOULD have dribbled the ball out, though it's not the end of the world if he doesn't.

Now the second steal and the EMPHATIC dunk as time is expiring with the entire bench erupting is without a doubt uncalled for. Again, if you are pressing to the final whistle, you probably have to expect this scenario as a potential outcome,  but still, I think Mills has a right to complain there. Pretty universally accepted that you don't do what they did.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, HoopsBison said:

Tough ending to a game, hate to see that kind of thing happen. I gotta lot of respect for the ORU program and their accomplishments. There was a lot of chippy chatter throughout the game and I kind of figured something was going to boil over when Mills chose to full court press down 20 with 25 seconds left. I Especially knew when our walk-on chose to make a lay up instead of run out the clock something was going to be said. I watched Mills go through the handshake line and when he finished made a direct route to Coach Richman instead of going to the lockerrom and proceeded to lay into him about us choosing to score at the end of the game. Then all hell broke loose...

I havent gotten a chance to listen to Coach Mills post game but I know Richman regrets how it all went down and said so in his post game comments.

Thanks for the fair analysis. I seem to recall the game in Tulsa being sorta chippy as well. It'll be interesting to see if the league hands down any punishments here and how it affects the potential matchup in the tourney. If that game does take place, I am sure it will be officiated to the extreme. No physical contact without a foul being called. 

The dunk came SECONDS after the clock expired. That’s my only issue. Enough time to pull up.

ND up next.

Max is just not the same player, his thumb/ hand injury is defintely an issue.  Without Max at his best, ORU is going to struggle.  Max takes 25 shots and has zero assists. Good game from McBride, the main bright spot.  

ORU back to its old struggles: defense and rebounding (-9).

Richman addressed it regretfully happening. 

mills tweeted this too I am very saddened about what transpired at the conclusion of our game tonight v NDSU. ORU nor NDSU want to be represented in a negative light. Dave Richman & I have spoken & I have the utmost respect for the Bison program. Congratulations to the Bison on a dominant performance.

Paul Mills tweet.