ORU at NDSU

ORUTerry

There is a video of the ending of the NDSu game on the ORU Espn webpage.  Just watching it, Lufile running across the court and Coach Mills, DJ, etc had to try and stop him.  I am thankful for all Lufile has done this year on the court but that did not look good.  When you are 285 lbs of muscle flying across the court in anger and two or more people have to try and slow you down then something is wrong.  On the video he just looked compeletly out of control.  It could have really gotten ugly.  DJ ended up on the ground with Lufile before things calmed down.

It's never fun to lose your cool like that. Allowing another person to get under your skin to the point you lash out verbally or physically makes you feel powerless and out of control. Nobody wants that. I feel for both coaches because their players followed their lead, and no leader wants to take their team down a negative direction. I especially feel for Coach Mills. The man is extremely hard on his players, but even more so hard on himself. He undoubtedly is sick with how he reacted. We forgive you coach. Forgive yourself, learn the lesson, and keep moving forward. 

Yeah it looks like we made ESPN last night.....agree not the way we want to do it.....a very unfortunate ending to the game....but TheEagleman has to admit that will surely amp up the rivalry if NDSU and ORU meet in Sioux Falls....Congrats to the Bison on their victory...they kicked our butts....:NDSU::shield-logo:

Just my opinion, but the more I think about it, this is somewhat a by product of winning the conference tourney and making the Sweet 16 run.

Now, beating ORU and Max Abmas is a big deal for everyone else, so of course NDSU was going to be pumped.....and it's very likely we'll get round 3 in a couple of weeks....should be fun.

Did I mention I could do with less of the Boden

• Like 1

Bigger concern to TheEagleman is Weaver, Lacis, Thompson, Jurgens, Lufile and Phipps combining for the whopping total of 15 points.....seems like only Mcbride and Max showed up and the latter had a terrible shooting night.....gonna need a lot more balanced scoring in Grand Forks tomorrow night.......but let's see if this post game dust up lights a fire under the Good Guys......something needs to do just that.....🥺

Agreed Eagleman. I don't have a big issue with the dust up. It happens.

Without Max playing like Steph Curry, our prospects aren't great. 

We've got a bunch of really good role players on our team. The kind of guys that don't fill up the stat sheet, but you've got to have if you want to have a good team. Lacis, Jurgens, Kareem, Trey, Weaver, Lufile all come to mind. However, on the offensive side of the ball, nobody has proven themselves capable of stepping up and becoming a consistent 2nd scoring option behind Max. KO obviously filled this role last year - if Max wasn't on, KO was. If KO wasn't on, Max was. Mackey is the closest to being able to fill that role, but he hasn't consistently done it. 

Teams have been saying to our guys all season long "We're going to put all of our resources towards Max and give the other 4 on the court every opportunity to beat us." Nobody is stepping up. I don't know that anybody is CAPABLE of filling that role. I guess we just have to put all of our chips on Max. 

2 hours ago, oruvoice said:

Without Max playing like Steph Curry, our prospects aren't great. 

Max has turned in a lot of Steph-like performances, but even Steph has bad games.

Steph always had Klay. We need a Klay. 

Last night's game was similar to the first game in Fargo a year.  ORU really struggled and only scored 54 and was outplayed most of the game, with K.O. and Max carrying the team.  Then the Eagles came out strong and won the second game vs the Bison.  After that ORU would win at home versus SDSU and that helped prepare the run to the Sweet 16.

14 hours ago, ORUIllini said:

The dunk came SECONDS after the clock expired. That’s my only issue. Enough time to pull up.

ND up next.

Now that our game is over, I can go back to being a casual fan of ORU.  I hope you destroy UND.  I hope the team's anger at the loss, and no doubt annoyance at being stuck in North Dakota with 7 degrees and 50 mph winds, causes your team to hang 100 on UND while holding them to 25.   Go Golden Eagles!

It's always something when ORU plays up there.

Never heard that bit before that a team should try to score with the shot clock off because the other team is pressing but Mills should have left it alone.

The payback, especially for a team you're guaranteed to see twice a year, is an alley-oop or a three goes up in the last seconds next time you beat them.

• Upvote 1

For starters, I hate playing in this league.  I am sick and tired of the lousy officiating we have to endure.  THAT IS NOT THE REASON THAT WE LOST.   However, Max gets sandwiched between two Bison and it is "incidental contact."  Griesal clears the defender with his left arm on EVERY SINGLE DRIVE TO THE  BASKET and there is never a call.  Max gets the benefit of an iffy jump ball call and another official overrules the call because in the Dakota-centric world of mediocre Summit League officiating an iffy call can never go against one of the XDSUs.  They probably used Frank's block at the end of last year's tournament game as a point of emphasis.  "Only the Dakota schools get those calls."  I'm just sick of it.

But that's not why we lost.

Way too many 3 point shots when the game was still a game.  I'm puzzled why when NDSU was one foul away from the bonus in the second half, and it was still a game, we decided to start a 3 point shooting exhibition rather than drive and post to get them in the bonus.   Completely baffled by that approach.  We were 26% from the field and 20% from range in the second half.  Seems to me we should be going to the hole in that situation.  What's the definition of insanity?

Rebounding is also a sore spot.  I'll stop now.  I'm probably more negative than I should be because I'm so angry about so many things.

• Upvote 4

NDSU is a very tough matchup for ORU.  There starting lineup has 11 inches more height then the Eagles and their bench adds even more size.  With that being said, it is very difficult for ORU's six foot guards to drive in on 6'10 or 6'11 Bison players.  NDSU had six blocks and for the most part held Lufile to a quiet night (4 points and 3 rebounds).  

How did you counter NDSU's height advantage?  The only thing that comes to mind is try the press much early in the game and try and make it a track meet/uptempo game.  Playing a half court game agaisnt the Bison is a losing strategy for the Eagles. Coach Mills hopefully will figure that out in March.

1 hour ago, Otis 83 said:

Way too many 3 point shots when the game was still a game.  I'm puzzled why when NDSU was one foul away from the bonus in the second half, and it was still a game, we decided to start a 3 point shooting exhibition rather than drive and post to get them in the bonus.   Completely baffled by that approach.  We were 26% from the field and 20% from range in the second half.  Seems to me we should be going to the hole in that situation.  What's the definition of insanity?

Otis my man! Easy now, you're starting to sound like me! Where's that half full glass you put down earlier!

35 minutes ago, ORU40 said:

Otis my man! Easy now, you're starting to sound like me! Where's that half full glass you put down earlier!

I haven’t been able to find it for about 25 hours 😂

• Haha 1