ORU-UTA

eagle88

1 hour ago, EagleManiac said:

Oops. I must've been watching a different game. I have no recollection of him doing anything negative. His hair looked great on the program, though. 

LOL - from my seat, he was having a pretty rough night; just not making good decisions with the ball.  

As mentioned before, I think his confidence has been really affected by his reduced and sporadic playing time.  I think he, Elijah, and Issac McBride could all benefit from knowing they were guaranteed certain minutes and game parts, the way Trey Phipps has been afforded.

57 minutes ago, EagleManiac said:

Oops. I must've been watching a different game. I have no recollection of him doing anything negative. His hair looked great on the program, though. 

I don't understand our rotation at all, Kareem played 12 minutes last night and still had 4 rebounds. Coach sent Phipps to the scorers table to sub in for Kareem 38 seconds into the game, he didn't get in for 2 minutes because there wasn't a stoppage in play, but 38 seconds into the game... and we wonder why he can't get into a rhythm...really??  For whatever reason, coach is playing Trey over veteran leaders, he got more minutes then 2 starters last night- Weaver (which is crazy) and Kareem who is our 2nd leading rebounder and a very good defender who has been through the wars for us!!

My perception is coach for whatever reason, is handing what is now essentially a starting spot- definitely starter minutes to Phipps. Which worked last night, but we cant count on Lacis & Weaver to go 11-15 from the 3 point line every night. McBride played 6 minutes for the 2nd straight game, in my opinion he has earned that first back up guard spot, it was just a few games ago he carried us with 25 on the road at Central Ark! Lufile was a real inside presence last night, 2 off stick backs and only got 17 minutes?? The minutes Herron is getting (or not getting) baffles me, he looks like our programs future to me and at this point I'm just hoping he doesn't start listening to what I'm sure he's hearing from outside sources about how he's not being used correctly!!

I just hope that by handing a player minutes over veteran's and what appear to be better players our team chemistry isn't damaged, every player on the team  sees how the minutes are being distributed so I don't think I'm bringing up something that isn't already a very hot topic!!

Hopefully, we shoot our 3's well because it appears we are putting all our eggs in that basket. On to the Conference schedule.

Go Eagles!!   

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

As mentioned before, I think his confidence has been really affected by his reduced and sporadic playing time.  I think he, Elijah, and Issac McBride could all benefit from knowing they were guaranteed certain minutes and game parts, the way Trey Phipps has been afforded.

And Sir Isaac. He was put into a tough situation last night and immediately missed a defensive assignment. 2 easy points for UTA and was immediately pulled. It's really hard to come into a game cold without screwing up somewhere. Got to put him in there with some room for error and allow the guy to go earn more minutes. Always living in fear of the bench is a tough way to play the game.

To both of the above points from Old Titan and ORU40, I have noticed that Coach has become quicker in pulling "role player" types when they make mistakes, which he had more tolerance for a few seasons ago. He would yell and scream and pull guys for lack of effort, but he rarely pulled guys after the first mental breakdown. 

To be fair to Trey, I thought he played a great game last night. I do find it unusual that he's playing over Kareem (I missed his poor decisions last night), but I haven't ever seen much from McBride that indicated he should be getting minutes over Trey.

Maybe Coach Mills is watching too much Hoosiers?....he has become Norman Dale......but then again....Coach Dale did win the State Championship.....plus I have heard that this is Coach's favorite movie....:hc_mills:

Just my opinion, but I think the reason Trey is getting so many minutes has a lot to do with his basketball IQ and his work in practice.  He and McBride have some D1 experience.  Herron has great upside so I hope he will be patient.  It'd be nice to spread the playing time around, but who goes out?

• Like 1

Wow....Mrs. Smith probably hits the nail on the head.....👍

46 minutes ago, MrsSmith said:

Just my opinion, but I think the reason Trey is getting so many minutes has a lot to do with his basketball IQ and his work in practice.  He and McBride have some D1 experience.  Herron has great upside so I hope he will be patient.  It'd be nice to spread the playing time around, but who goes out?

Trey does truly know his way around out there, and you can tell he knows what he should do in certain situations, but knowing what to do and being able to do it are two different things.

For example, he squared to shoot a three from the wing at a critical point in crunch time, and when the defender came flying out on him, he read it and made a slick move right past him, but then found himself face-to-face with that #0 jumping jack for UTA in the lane.  Rather than pivot or pass (or a half-doxen other things), he threw up a weak runner from six feet out that #0 spiked like a volleyball.  Fortunately, another Mav got called for a hip check at the moment, which bailed him out (but then, he's gotta hit those free throws after the call!)

Frankly, Trey played better than Kareem last night, so I really didn't have that much of an issue with his 28 minutes of playing time as long as he continues to improve on defense.  He still got schooled a couple of times by the little guard Hoiberg (wonder if he's related to Fred?).  But the unintended consequences is having an upperclassman like Kareem or Carlos sitting on the bench for extended times, thinking to themselves that they need to do something spectacular when they get their chance, which leads to "trying to do too much" as the cliche goes.

And, as far as the 400-pound gorilla in the room, I'll say it:  there were sections of the game last night where MAX was terrible on both ends of the floor, as well.  Losing his man on defense, ill-advised drives and cross-over dribbles while closely defended, bad passes, forced shots, and for the third or fourth time this year, not paying attention on the inbounds pass in the back court following an opposition basket, leading to really bad turnovers.  I'm not convinced he's not getting that same toe re-injured every game; it's just a matter of when it happens each night, and how badly it affects him.  Typically, when a rainbow shooter like him is suddenly flat and long on his outside shot, it's because he's having issues with his legs and only using his upper body.  A toe injury really messes with your jump shot in that regard; it hurts to bend your knees and push off your feet like usual. Here's hoping he can get healthy during the routine of the conference schedule.

Suck it up, Max.....we need you, buddy!.....gotta admire the kid if he's playing through pain...now lets go beat......:southdakota:

20 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

He still got schooled a couple of times by the little guard Hoiberg (wonder if he's related to Fred?).  

Fred’s son.  Adam mentioned it on the broadcast. 

2 hours ago, ORU40 said:

I don't understand our rotation at all, Kareem played 12 minutes last night and still had 4 rebounds. Coach sent Phipps to the scorers table to sub in for Kareem 38 seconds into the game, he didn't get in for 2 minutes because there wasn't a stoppage in play, but 38 seconds into the game... and we wonder why he can't get into a rhythm...really??  For whatever reason, coach is playing Trey over veteran leaders, he got more minutes then 2 starters last night- Weaver (which is crazy) and Kareem who is our 2nd leading rebounder and a very good defender who has been through the wars for us!!

My perception is coach for whatever reason, is handing what is now essentially a starting spot- definitely starter minutes to Phipps. Which worked last night, but we cant count on Lacis & Weaver to go 11-15 from the 3 point line every night. McBride played 6 minutes for the 2nd straight game, in my opinion he has earned that first back up guard spot, it was just a few games ago he carried us with 25 on the road at Central Ark! Lufile was a real inside presence last night, 2 off stick backs and only got 17 minutes?? The minutes Herron is getting (or not getting) baffles me, he looks like our programs future to me and at this point I'm just hoping he doesn't start listening to what I'm sure he's hearing from outside sources about how he's not being used correctly!!

I just hope that by handing a player minutes over veteran's and what appear to be better players our team chemistry isn't damaged, every player on the team  sees how the minutes are being distributed so I don't think I'm bringing up something that isn't already a very hot topic!!

Hopefully, we shoot our 3's well because it appears we are putting all our eggs in that basket. On to the Conference schedule.

Go Eagles!!   

Interesting take, and I respectfully disagree on every point. If you look at the box score tweeted out by UTA:

Kareem was a -10 in his 12 minutes on the court. In fact, he was the only ORU player who wasn’t positive. If he had played the entire 40 mins, we would have lost of 33 points. Sometimes you see that Kareem had 4 rebounds and you think he should play more, when in reality he was giving up almost 1 point per minute he was on the court. Thank goodness he only played 12 mins 😂

Looking at Carlos. His defensive effort really shows in the fact that even though he was 0-5 from 3, he was a +16. He did a great job and we need him to start making shots!

Your point about Trey playing more minutes than DJ doesn’t make much sense to me because Trey doesn’t sub for DJ. DJ’s minutes were lessened due to Eli playing 17 minutes. They essentially sub for each other, so if you want Eli to play more, youre going to have to be ok with DJ and Francis playing less. We will need all 3 of them in conference play!

In terms of your opinion on McBride should be the first guard off the bench instead of Trey, I just have to agree to disagree. I don’t think Isaac has had a great game besides Central Arkansas. Which if you remember, Max only played around 20 minutes that game. I think Trey has been much more consistent. No doubt we need Isaac McBride to play more than 6 minutes, but I don’t agree with you that he needs to be coming in the game before Trey. At least not from what I’ve seen in games so far this season. 

And to your last point about putting all of our eggs in the basket of making 3ptrs. I believe we lead the country in 3ptrs made per game. I think that’s a pretty good basket to put our eggs with the makeup of our roster. If we had a bunch of post players I would hope we would put our eggs in the basket of posting up. If we had a bunch of drivers I hope we would put our eggs in the basket of driving the ball. Our team is made up of a bunch of excellent shooters. So let’s keep getting them shots and praying we keep making them! 

If Max is playing injured less than 75-80% then maybe he should sit for a couple weeks....would rather him miss the first 4 games and be close to 100% for the last 15 or so.....just sayin'......TheEagleman thinks ORU can still be competitive if he sits until early January.....:tb-blue:

Herron may not get much playing time until next year.  Lufile and Lacis are seniors, so SLIM may have to wait until 22-23 to show off his talents. 

I remember when Carlos came in as a freshman and won the three point contest at the Mabee madness event.  So it looked like he would be a good three point shooter from the start.  He was ok his first two years, averaging about 32 percent but this year he needs to drive the ball instead of shooting the three.

Phipps plays really hard and is the 2nd or 3rd best shooter on the team.  Not the most skilled guy but seems to be in the right place at the right time.  He brings a little more energy and hustle to the game then McBride.  

Lufile will get his 10-15 minutes a game and provide a different look to teams.  He may be the best offensive rebounder in the Summit League.  Unless Lacis and Weaver are in foul trouble then Lufile, won't see big minutes.

6 hours ago, ORU40 said:

Hopefully, we shoot our 3's well because it appears we are putting all our eggs in that basket.

We could easily delete the tens of thousand of words that we've all posted the past few months, and just plaster this one comment from ORU40 on a big ol' banner across the website, and it would effectively communicate to anyone who visits exactly what ORU Basketball is all about this season... 🤣