ORU-UTA

eagle88

This is a winnable game for the Eagles and one we need to win to give us confidence as we open 2 conference games on the road in the Dakotas. UTA has had 2 blowout losses to OK State and North Texas . They also lost to Utah State by 21 pts. From what I have heard David Azore a 6'4 guard is a good shooter and can be dangerous. If Mills plays a small guard line up it should work against this team as long as we are shooting well but it sure would be nice to involve the Bigs as we ARE GOING TO NEED THEM as we move forward. I put that in bold so hopefully the powers to be will see it! ORU 85-74

Hard to believe this is the end of the non-conference schedule.  UTA wins with defense and wants a game in the 60s.  Their five losses are all to teams from March's NCAA tournament.  ORU is at home, so they should be able to play up-tempo and get the Mavs out of their slow it down style.  Max needs to catch fire and put up those all-star numbers that we know he is capable of.  As Max goes, so goes ORU.

• Like 1

Coach Mills said on his radio show Monday night that these guys are really athletic, with some guys who really can get up.  Said it requires a different sort of defensive and rebounding approach.

In light of that OT will he be putting in our Bigs for defense and rebounding? Not sure our smaller lineup will get that done.

Image   Old Titan holding court at the ORU-UTA Game this Thursday Night???😜

• Haha 1

LOL. OT might definitely distract the opposing team! Might need to bring the show on the road as well!

UTA appears to be sort of a grinder. They score 63.1 ppg on 42.5% FG% and only shoot 27.0% from three point (17.1 attempts per game). They hold opponents to 38.1% (34.0% from 3pt). They average 5.4 blocks per game along with 13.6 assists and 17.4 turnovers. 

At the end of the day boys and girls, we need to step up and start winning these games.  If we are an improved team we need to start showing it on the court by winning games.  We can always find excuses for not winning but those are starting to get old.

• Like 2

ORU has not played bad this year, but they just have not lived up to the hype of returning 5 out of their top 6 players from a Sweet 16 team.  This is a big home game in that, if the Eagles win, they would finish 6-5 in nonconference play.  After this, they go on the road for the first 5 of 7 in conference play.  ORU needs to finish strong at home tomorrow night.

I still think this team is talented enough to compete for a conference championship, but (in my mind) the past six weeks have been all but wasted by not developing the players and substitution pattern needed to achieve that goal.

That being said, there's still time to mold the parts into a greater sum.  Would be nice to see it sooner than later...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Let’s face it - this team has regressed without KO, which is not too surprising in its own right. Although it is impossible to know, I project that ORU’s record at this point would have been 7-3 or 8-2 if KO had stayed (I think the Eagles would have still lost to CSU, and at least one or both of TCU/Mo State).  

But, as OT said, this team still has contender status potential as they begin the Summit season next week - and we will see how the rest of the season unfolds.  One BIG positive is that the team seems to be relatively healthy as conference play begins, with no known major or season-ending injuries.  👍

1 hour ago, eagle88 said:

SD State lost to MO State by 12 tonight.  Makes our loss a little better.

I’m stunned; I predicted SDSU by double-digits after ORU’s lackluster performance in Springfield on Saturday. 

Still not convinced MSU is any good. This outcome may say more about SDSU currently; maybe just too much travel this past couple of weeks?

9 hours ago, Old Titan said:

I’m stunned; I predicted SDSU by double-digits after ORU’s lackluster performance in Springfield on Saturday. 

Still not convinced MSU is any good. This outcome may say more about SDSU currently; maybe just too much travel this past couple of weeks?

I think you're wrong about MSU. I think the quality of our play on defense (outside of a few gaffes) made them look like a poor team. Come March, I don't think we'll look back on that loss as a "bad" one. 

I am still optimistic about this team. We need a win tonight and I think we'll get it. 

Tonight’s game could be a bit interesting. I expect the crowd to be a bit light with students gone and people distracted with the holidays. Our players could be a bit distracted too. UTA does not appear to be  an offensive juggernaut but is a defensive minded team. I assume they will try to slow us down, ‘ugly’ up the game and pound the boards. UTA has several long, athletic players who can block shots, so drives to the basket will be challenging. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, ORUTerry said:

Tonight’s game could be a bit interesting. I expect the crowd to be a bit light with students gone and people distracted with the holidays. Our players could be a bit distracted too. UTA does not appear to be  an offensive juggernaut but is a defensive minded team. I assume they will try to slow us down, ‘ugly’ up the game and pound the boards. UTA has several long, athletic players who can block shots, so drives to the basket will be challenging. 

Very good scouting report ORU Terry.  Tonight, would be a good night to hit some three's, which ORU usually does at home.  UTA struggled early in the season with turnovers but has cleaned that up in their last two wins.  ORU forcing turnovers would go a long way towards having a W in the Win Column tonight!

I want to see us reduce our turnovers, play tough defense and maybe see extended minutes from Lufile/Herron/Clover. 

Not sure there is a team in our league like UTA that protects the rim like they do.