ORU-UTA

eagle88

There was a really good student crowd at the OK State game which was the Friday after Thanksgiving. I'm hoping a lot of those students are local kids that will attend tonight. 

21 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

ORU has not played bad this year, but they just have not lived up to the hype of returning 5 out of their top 6 players from a Sweet 16 team.  This is a big home game in that, if the Eagles win, they would finish 6-5 in nonconference play.  After this, they go on the road for the first 5 of 7 in conference play.  ORU needs to finish strong at home tomorrow night.

Yep, But the one guy they lost is a 1rst team all conference 6'8" power forward.:) That is one heck of a loss. He really took a lot of pressure off of Abmas as well. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, darrenj said:

Yep, But the one guy they lost is a 1rst team all conference 6'8" power forward.:) That is one heck of a loss. He really took a lot of pressure off of Abmas as well. 

Exactly, we played basically 6 guys last year, 5 are back and are now the starting unit, we lost our 6'8" all conference power forward who made Max and everyone else on the floor better with his shooting, rebounding, picks, inside D/presence, toughness and replaced him in the 6 man rotation with Phipps. It doesn't make any sense to me with Herron, Lufile and McBride, but that seems to be the choice coach has made!

With the 6 man rotation as it is with the starters and Phipps, we are a one trick pony and will live by the 3 and die by the 3!! This current rotation is definitely not an improvement on last years team, but we'll see how things go in the conference schedule and tourney!

Go Eagles!

TheEagleman has been disappointed in our 2021 performances on the road this season....not very encouraging....but this game is at Mabee Center where ORU has looked like a different team....As of the moment, ORU is -7 and the O/U is 144....both kind of tough but I will make a teaser bet combining ORU with the Over giving me 6 point cushions on both....i am fairly certain we will win this game and it will go Over unless we shoot terribly.....TheEagleman is thinking something like ORU 81  UTA 71.....the Good Guys need a nice victory before heading to South Dakota and need to look good doing it....no sloppiness...cut down on the turnovers and good shooting....hoping Coach Mills dusts off our Bigs and give them some minutes tonight.....wish i could be there....GO BLUE!!! :tb-white:

What is also surprising is that out of those 5 guys that returned from the core group, only DJ seems to have improved.  The rest have been up and down.  Carlos is shooting 15 percent from threes.  Max has not looked like an all-American that we thought he might be in the preseason.  Kareem was really struggling early in the season and just seemed to disappear in most games.  Francis does the dirty work: rebound, defense, and hit an open three.  These five guys are your leaders: they have experience and maturity.  They will need to continue to improve as conference play begins.

I am not in Tulsa and have not been at practices so anything I may say is pure speculation.  I do watch our games however possible.  I am in the camp that I do not know why Phipps is getting all the plying time while in my humble opinion we should be using Lufile, McBride and Herron a lot more.  I also agree with what OT stated about being disappointed in the first six weeks of the season.  If we had been working our bigs into the rotation more and trying to develop them I could tolerate the losses a lot easier knowing that the coaching staff is experimenting and working to come up with different rotations and players.  I do feel we have more talent on this team then we have had going well back into the Sutton years.  I also feel that we have way more talent than what is basically a six man rotation.  I realize it takes time to put the pieces together, I just do not feel that so far we have been doing that.  

1 hour ago, theeagleman5 said:

TheEagleman has been disappointed in our 2021 performances on the road this season....not very encouraging....but this game is at Mabee Center where ORU has looked like a different team....As of the moment, ORU is -7 and the O/U is 144....both kind of tough but I will make a teaser bet combining ORU with the Over giving me 6 point cushions on both....i am fairly certain we will win this game and it will go Over unless we shoot terribly.....TheEagleman is thinking something like ORU 81  UTA 71.....the Good Guys need a nice victory before heading to South Dakota and need to look good doing it....no sloppiness...cut down on the turnovers and good shooting....hoping Coach Mills dusts off our Bigs and give them some minutes tonight.....wish i could be there....GO BLUE!!! :tb-white:

It opened at ORU (-9) and 139.5; now the spread has dropped to (-7) while the total is up to 144, which seems to suggest (at least to those who invest their money on such things) that it's gonna be closer than suspected.

So, of course, I'm going with the Mavs and the over...    #TrustTheProcess

• Upvote 1

Good Guys win 71-62....not pristine but we will take it...TheEagleman only saw a small sample but Max (11) didn't do much but Lacis and Weaver got the job done with 21 and 18....nice to win when your best player has an off night.....6-5 heading to SD on Monday Night.....ORU needs to steal  one of those games.....can't start off the Summit League schedule at 0-2...😬....:shield-logo:

TheEagleman broke even tonight....lost my teaser bet because of the low scoring....but won on taking ORU -7 for the same amount....so the night is a wash.....🙄

FRANCIS LACIS MVP! MVP! MVP!  He had the best game of his career (close to 95-100 games).  Coach finally listened to OT, Eagleman, and others who said put Lufile in the game.  He made a big difference in the second half, when UTA went on their run.  ORU lead the whole game and DJ hit some big threes in the second half.

Listening to Lacis interview after the game and he said now the real season starts conference play on Monday night.  Go Eagles

• Upvote 1

Great win for the Eagles! Lufile looked really good and had some good productive minutes. He had 2 put backs and was fouled both times. Francis played lights out as did Weaver. Trey Phipps hit some big 3's too. Carlos played good defense. Really nice that Max didn't have to have a great night.  He was guarded well and often double teamed. There was a decent crowd tonight and a lot of energy! Go Eagles as you begin conference play!

Great W. Had to win this one.  I still feel like there's a lot of untapped potential here. We haven't played GOOD basketball yet. 

Solid game from Trey. Moved the ball well. Penetrated well without trying to force up shots. Any idea why Kareem only played 12 minutes?

Felt like I had gone back 12 years and was watching Western Illinois tonight… Most of the evening (especially in the first half) UTA didn’t look to score until 10 seconds were left on the shot clock. It is difficult to stay focused on defense against that style of offense. 

Max showed some maturity when the shots were not falling, and he found his teammates (six assists tonight).  Kareem just seemed to disappear tonight.  He never really got into the flow where he could hit his mid-range jumpers.  The only concern was the Eagles getting outrebounded by nine but then UTA had a lot of length.  The Mavs reminded me of OK State Jr.  They had good length, rebounders, and some guys who could hit the mid-range shots but struggled from three.

49 minutes ago, EagleManiac said:

Any idea why Kareem only played 12 minutes?

Maybe because he was awful tonight?

I mean, it’s just a thought…but, yeah: pretty sure that might be why. 🤔 😉

9 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Maybe because he was awful tonight?

I mean, it’s just a thought…but, yeah: pretty sure that might be why. 🤔 😉

Oops. I must've been watching a different game. I have no recollection of him doing anything negative. His hair looked great on the program, though.