ORU vs. Tulsa

ORUTerry

ORU battles Tulsa for the Mayor’s Cup Monday evening in the Mabee Center. The Golden Hurricane are 4-2 on the season with the following team stats:

Points per game:  69.3

FG%:  44.5%
3-pt%:  32.8%. (20.3 attempts per game)

FT%:  79.5%

Reb Margin:  -2.1

Assists:  12.0

Steals:   6.8

Turnovers:  10.7

TU sucks as always....time to kick the crap out of them and send them home whining to 11th and Harvard.....TheEagleman is sick of them and their fans....we need to beat them soundly by double digits and right the ship....yeah, a brutal loss yesterday but let's move on.....BEAT TU!!!....:shield-logo:

• Like 1

ORU will likely not face a more talented team than OSU all season, but they may not face a more physical team than Tulsa. 

What the Golden Hurricane lacks in skill they try to make up for with strength and grit. 

This may not be a very pretty game; whichever team can muster the most easy baskets will carry the day. 

I expect one of the major keys will be how the referees call the game - and how the teams adjust. I assume that they will be AAC refs. 

Stats for TU and their roster:

link:  https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/tulsa/2022.html

Griffin (6’3” So): 17.3 ppg; 44.3% FG, 35.0% 3-pt (6.7 attempts); 2.2 assists and 1.3 turnovers 

Horne (6’7” Sr): 17.3 ppg; 50.0% FG, 43.3% 3-pt (5.0 attempts), 7.5 rebs, 1.3 assists and 1.7 turnovers 

Jackson (6’3” Sr): 8.8 ppg; 57.1% FG, 28.6% 3-pt, 2.8 rebs, 1.5 assists and 1.2 turnovers 

Idowu (6’9” Sr): 56.8% FG, 5.3 rebs, 0.8 turnovers 

Dalger (6’7” So): 40.6% FG, 40.0% 3-pt (0.8 attempts),4.7 assists with 1.7 turnovers 

Other significant players:

Emberly-Simpson: (6’3” So) 3.8 ppg, 2.8 rebs, 2.0 assists 

Haywood: (6’5” Sr) 2.7 ppg, 1.8 rebs, 1.2 assists 

Pritchard:  (6’3” Fr) 3.8 ppg, 2.7 rebs, 2.0 assists 

TU does not appear to have tremendous height but their guards are tall and all of them are physical. They have 6’10” and 6’7” players who do not play much.

TU and their fans don't like us and don't respect us....never have and never will....time for ORU to kick their butts and then listen to them whine.....sure was a brutal loss to OSU but as Coach Mills says...Press On!!!...crush TU!!😎

ORU is due for a win over Tulsa.  They last time the Eagles won was 2015 when Obi hit the last second shot to beat TU in the Reynolds Center.  It may come down to another last second shot.

Looking for Jurgens and Thompson to get going.  It will be someone different every night that steps up and they are both due.

Is anyone else annoyed that this game is the Monday night after Thanksgiving? Like they couldn't have squeezed us in for a little bit better game time? Ridiculous. 

• Upvote 1

I’m surprised the game is not during Christmas break. It has been a number of years since our students have been able to view an ORU team battle the Golden Hurricane 

1 hour ago, EagleManiac said:

Is anyone else annoyed that this game is the Monday night after Thanksgiving? Like they couldn't have squeezed us in for a little bit better game time? Ridiculous. 

At least they're playing it; last season was the second time in recent years they ducked out of the game (how COVID-ient:  they were healthy enough to host conference-foe Wichita State just 3 days after backing out of the ORU date at the Mabee Center last year).

Is that respect for our team that is winless against D1 teams, or lack of respect for a TU team? 

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

Early Vegas line:  ORU -1 (142.5)

Frankly a little surprised TU is not favored... 🤔

58 minutes ago, Ting said:

Is that respect for our team that is winless against D1 teams, or lack of respect for a TU team? 

Yes.  😉

Do you think we will see ORU trap on Monday night?  Since TU is big and strong that could be a good strategy.  Also mixing in a zone would be helpful to keep Weaver and Lacis out of foul trouble.  Coach Mills cannot just let the Hurricane play bully ball against the smaller Eagles.  

It seems to come down to which team can enforce its style of play: ORU wants to play fast and shoot  threes but TU wants to pound the ball inside and take over the boards.  Max will need another big game but then again, we could say that all season.

ORU may very well be the best division 1 team that has yet to beat a division 1 team so I predict tomorrow night will be our 1st D1 win for the year. The good guys will be focused and energized and pull of the win.

ORU 74-TU 70

TheEagleman says lay the point...it's time to expose the Golden Hurricane for the frauds that they are.....this is a double digit win for ORU....😎

If DJ plays like he did against the Cowboys, I don't think we can lose this game. We'll see. I'm cautiously optimistic. ORU 82 TU 76. 

Well, I had a bad feeling about OSU, and it turned out to be a one-possession game - twice (regulation and overtime).

I actually have a better feeling about this game, so I'll just go with TU by one.

(You didn't really think I was going to pick ORU, did you?)

Season 9 Lol GIF by The Office

• Upvote 1