ORU vs. Tulsa

ORUTerry

Some other positives:

* The students waving light sticks when they were introducing the team.

* The return of mini-basketballs!

* The student who hit a half-court shot to win a prize!

* The quartet that sang the National Anthem--a group that included Saga's chef.

* The plastic/rubber ducks that fans now throw to hit the target and win a prize. Much smarter.

* The cheerleaders' halftime routine. Very nice. 

• Upvote 1

After reading the Tulsa World article and hearing Haith whine about the calls it is even sweeter that we won! They really cannot admit that we have a good team and a good program. I honestly thought the officiating was lopsided against ORU but I readily admit they have a very talented team. Oh well with our athletic program on the rise they better get used to us winning or just keep whining!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, titansforever said:

Some other positives:

* The students waving light sticks when they were introducing the team.

* The return of mini-basketballs!

For all my complaining the last several games about the poor in-game entertainment, it has gotten significantly better the last two games. Great job to whoever is in charge there. 

27 minutes ago, eagle88 said:

After reading the Tulsa World article and hearing Haith whine about the calls it is even sweeter that we won! They really cannot admit that we have a good team and a good program. I honestly thought the officiating was lopsided against ORU but I readily admit they have a very talented team. Oh well with our athletic program on the rise they better get used to us winning or just keep whining!

For the record, EVERY SINGLE TU LOSS IN HISTORY was the fault of bad officiating.

Just ask any of their fans! 🤣

• Upvote 2

TheEagleman has been listening to TU whining/excuses and complaining since 1972....ORU had a great team that year (72-73) our 2nd year at the D-1 level and TU wouldn't schedule us...they didn't want to be embarrassed...I spoke with OR about it in 1974 in my duties for the Oracle and he told me clearly that he had personally asked TU to play  us since 1971 and ORU would play them anywhere and anytime....TU refused....they were finally goaded into a game in 1975 after Ken Trickey left because they were pretty good and our team had leveled off a bit under Jerry Hale....but TU couldn't avoid ORU any longer....and the Golden Hurricane actually won the initial game......but it's been this way for 50 years really....TU doesn't want anything to do with ORU....as I said before....they have ZERO respect for our program and University.....they will justify every loss to ORU with excuses about officiating or whatever.....TheEagleman has no tolerance for it....I respect their players who gave a 100% effort last night...but their staff, administration and fans are what they are.....and I can't use the word on this Board......🤢

Enough said about TU....they will never change when it comes to ORU....not after 50 years......and ORU has bigger fish to fry....let's get after TCU on Thursday night....GO BLUE!  :tb-blue:

47 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

TheEagleman has been listening to TU whining/excuses and complaining since 1972....they were finally goaded into a game in 1975 after Ken Trickey left because they were pretty good and our team had leveled off a bit under Jerry Hale....but TU couldn't avoid ORU any longer....and the Golden Hurricane actually won the initial game....

Oh, eagleman5, I should start by saying something contrite like, "I hate to be the guy who corrects you...", but as you and everyone knows, I LOVE being that guy!! 🤣

Anyway, the first ORU-TU game was actually played in March of 1974, Ken Trickey's final season at ORU and the same season that Sam McCants, Al Boswell, Eddie Woods, Greg McDougald, Duane Fox and a freshman named Anthony Roberts took ORU to within an overtime loss to Kansas of reaching the Final Four.

Yes, the Golden Hurlicane, led by Willie Biles and Ken "Grasshopper" Smith, squeaked out a hard-fought 85-84 victory in the Fairground Pavilion in the inaugural Mayor's Cup game.  Fond memories as a 12-year-old of getting hit in the back of the head by paper cups and ice from the TU faithful while sitting behind the ORU bench.  Here's a link to that historic game:

Sorry, OT....thanks for correcting me....I was one year off....i was at the game, too....sitting on press row probably just a few yards from 12 year old OT.....so my memory at age 67 is fading a bit.....i just remember ORU lost and being totally disappointed....that was my Soph year....I think we played TU twice in 74-75, right?...once at TU and once at Mabee....please correct me if i am wrong my friend.....👍

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

For the record, EVERY SINGLE TU LOSS IN HISTORY was the fault of bad officiating.

Just ask any of their fans! 

🤣 This is so true.

If anyone here is active on Wikipedia, this page needs updating: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oral_Roberts–Tulsa_basketball_rivalry

Apart from that, it's a great resource for the history of the rivalry. And it's very clear, at least to me, that at least the December 2, 1976 (ORU wins 106–62 at Mabee Center) and December 5, 2004 (ORU wins 70-47 at TU, in the Green/Tutt sophomore NIT season) results cannot possibly be blamed on the refs!

Coach you know what’s tough?  ORU holding Horne scoreless in the last four minutes while Max is sealing the win. That’s tough. 

4 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

Sorry, OT....thanks for correcting me....I was one year off....i was at the game, too....sitting on press row probably just a few yards from 12 year old OT.....so my memory at age 67 is fading a bit.....i just remember ORU lost and being totally disappointed....that was my Soph year....I think we played TU twice in 74-75, right?...once at TU and once at Mabee....please correct me if i am wrong my friend.....👍

Nope. just one game the 74-75 season; again in March and again TU won, this time in the Mabee Center.

After that, they did start playing a short-lived home-and-home series in December and March of each season.  ORU finally won their first game in the series as the two teams split in 75-76, then ORU went on an 8-game streak over four seasons that motivated TU to fire favorite-son head coach Jim King and famously give new head coach Nolan Richardson his top order of business (according to him) - "Just beat Oral Roberts".  LOL

My favorite part of the game was being extremely hostile to the refs whenever they made a horrible call, telling Haith to stop whining about missed calls, and yelling defense until I lost my voice late in the second half. We gave our guys so much energy and they needed it to finish strong. Now I'm resting my vocal chords to take the same energy with a small group a of friends down to Fort Worth to give them that same energy on the road. Let me know if you can hear us on the TV broadcast. WAR EAGLES!!!

• Upvote 3

Watched both the OSU and TU games on ORU Sports Network.

Glad to have a way to watch ORU basketball from a far!

• Upvote 1

Went back last night and watched that bump foul on Max as he dribbled the ball out of bounds with about 45 seconds left. Honestly, if I was a TU fan I would be furious about that call - there just is not a whole lot of contact. Really a poor insertion by the official into the outcome of the game. Max for sure got a little bit of All American love on that one, though to be fair, there were about 30 hand-check fouls that could've been called over the course of the game that weren't.

Good assessment Eagle Maniac. I thought the calls in the 1st half and into the 2nd half favored TU and then by the middle of the 2nd half we got some calls, the one you mentioned being one of them. How freeing it is to try to see things from a fair perspective! Maybe our friends at TU will one day experience what it is like to be free but if OT is right he has been on a mission since 1974 and to no avail. We can only hope.