ORU vs. Tulsa

ORUTerry

15 minutes ago, titansforever said:

Today is my birthday, and winning this game was all I wanted!!!

Thanks for sharing your gift with the rest of us!

22 minutes ago, TrueBlue82 said:

I thought Coach Mills and Max nailed it on the head in the post game show.  This team showed heart and RESILIENCE tonight.  Tough game, tough win!

I also need to give props to the officiating crew.  Although they missed some calls tonight, the late block by DJ was key - and they made the right call.  He made an incredibly athletic play, and refs will often take the easy road out and blow the whistle, because... well, there's no way someone should be able to physically make that block cleanly and before the ball hits the backboard.  I guarantee you that a large majority of Summit League officials would have blown their whistle on that play. 

I absolutely LOVE beating Tulsa!

Where can we listen to a replay of the post-game interview?

2 minutes ago, vcboy2000 said:

Where can we listen to a replay of the post-game interview?

It was at the end of the video stream on the ORU SN website. I'm guessing it will be on the replay version once it is availabe "on demand".

53 minutes ago, ORob1 said:

How in the world do we get pushed around on the inside and completely dominated in the paint and not give Lufile, Clover, Plet or Herron ANY playing time?  I'm puzzled by not giving ANY one of those guys a chance to defend TU's length.

I am surprised those guys didn't more run when Lacis got into foul trouble but Mills must be saving them for conference season.

I don't think we saw too much of the PNR/PNP until the end of the conference season last year. May be a similar situation here?

I love how the guys battled tonight. We got some home cooking from the refs towards the end, but they were just make-up calls for some of the other blatantly missed calls that went against us earlier. 

ORU played really small tonight with oftentimes 4 guards and Lacis on the court.  When they did that, TU also went small to match it.  When ORU goes really small it seems to force the other team to go small, too.  Bigs cannot guard Jurgens or Lacis on the perimeter.  Not saying that it will work all season or they will even try it but when the Eagles go small they can hit a lot of threes and cause the other team mis match problems.  It goes both ways.

You guys whine to much about the small stuff.....OK....the win wasn't perfect.....but damn.... ORU BEAT TULSA....ENJOY THE VICTORY...TU fans can do the crying tonight(which they surely will).......GO BLUE!!!....:circle-logoi:

• Upvote 2

OK, the tweet with Max-and-the-babies is funny.

The other two are embarrassing.

As is the students chanting "TU SUCKS". 

Let's try to act like we've all been here before folks, shall we?

If Mike Carter was still in charge, he would have run down there and put a stop to that but quick!  LOL

Other observations:

• Amazing to play poorly in spots defensively and go through so many long stretches without the best players on the floor, and still look the part of the better team most of the game.  A case of better basketball players & coaches beating better (maybe?) athletes.
  • TU's lack of running a decent offense caught up with them in the final minutes.  The resorted late to drives and dumps into the paint, and then hoping for the best at the rim, which did not work out well for them.
  • Max Abmas is one tough little dude.  Stepped on a defender's foot and injured his own early in the first half, then came back to score 20+ in the second stanza.  Let's hope he's OK by Thursday night at TCU.
  • I can not for the life of me understand why Sir Issac is not playing more, or Lufile.  Would have loved to see them cause match-up problems for TU's smallish line-up.  And what happened to McBride in the second half after looking so good in the first 20 minutes?  Kinda weird...
  • Like 2

Great environment in the Mabee Center tonight. Just watched the replay broadcast and the arena looks AMAZING on TV, especially with the crowd! Hopeful that we can continue to make the Mabee Center a tough place to play for opposing teams.

1 hour ago, TrueBlue82 said:

Thanks for sharing your gift with the rest of us!

You’re very welcome! 

What a great win for ORU! We got the proverbial monkey off of our back. Hopefully we dominate TU for years to come! I'm a little perplexed by not playing Sir Isaac, Eli and Clover but in the end we won so I will lay my head on the pillow and dream about this great victory and believe we will be victorious at TCU on Thursday!

Fun game to watch. The crowd size was as big (except for the OSU game) as we have had in a long time. I would think that a lot of the will be back to watch this team - especially Max.

Although we went small for a good part of the night, we actually tied TU in rebounds at 32 each. 

Horne for TU is a very good player. I’m surprised they didn’t run the offense more through him. Especially late. Not sure what kind of offense TU was running. They kind of passed it around the perimeter until someone had an open shot or drove to the basket. TU did try to isolate their taller players on McBride/Phipps/Abmas when they could - or at did sometimes. Should have probably kept doing that. 

Tulsa shot the ball much better than they have in earlier games. Without that shooting touch, it would have been a blow out. 

Nice win against TU. 

Another thing… great student section! It was full and even spilled out into other sections. They were a factor in the win. 

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

As is the students chanting "TU SUCKS". 

Let's try to act like we've all been here before folks, shall we?

If Mike Carter was still in charge, he would have run down there and put a stop to it  

I was surprised the first time I heard it but I missed the lead in. It was actually sort of clever. The second time I realized they were singing the ABC song during free throws and replaced the letter “V” with “sucks”. 

For about 6 minutes in the middle of the second half, we could not stop TU. It begged for a timeout or substitution that did not happen until the next media timeout. After that we adjusted and stopped the bleeding. I thought that could have happened sooner. The 2 timeouts left at the end don’t roll over. 

Coach Haithe quoted in Tulsa World,

“We didn’t get any breaks and there were some tough ones, some really tough ones,” Haith said. “I’m going to be kind when I say that, but there were some tough plays.”

C’mon Coach. You gotta be bigger than that. Sounds like what my high school teammates and I said after losing 20 out of 22 games my senior year. You got beat. Deal with it. Games like this and the OSU game shows that ORU is a tough team. Just what OOC games are for. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Old Titan said:

I don't have a problem with the team celebrating with the trophy. TU needs to recruit better players or work on development instead of whining.

The Haith quote above is fantastic. Love it. 

I also LOVE the "TU Sucks" chant. We did it when I was a student and I'm glad they're keeping that one alive. Not the classiest display from our students, but it's a pretty mild chant to use against a cross-town rival, honestly. And it upsets the old folks at 11th and Harvard, what more could you want?