21-22 Schedule

Keenan Henderson

Old Titan, I hope you are right about the golden age of Summit League basketball.  If that happens, the teams that left for the Horizon (Oakland, Valpo, IPFW, etc.) might end up regretting their decisions.  IMHO I don’t think the current Horizon league has a competitive advantage over the Summit league at this point (although the geographic footprint simplifies and decreases their travel expenses).

Oakland is a scheduling unicorn in the Horizon; Greg Kampe coaching there for 37 YEARS has earned him the relationships and respect that results in neutral-site games in Detroit with the likes of Michigan State. 

But, to your point, Valpo - a former Sweet Sixteen team and a multi-year NCAA participant - is never going to get a Power 5 team to play in their little gym.  Can you imagine Indiana or Purdue ever agreeing to a game at "The ARC"?

In comparison, ORU has fared FAR better by bringing in the comparable likes of Oklahoma State. Oklahoma, and Tulsa over the years.

56 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

It's going to take sustained excellence, from more than one program and over several seasons, for schools in the Summit League to raise their scheduling profile, and that includes ORU.  The encouraging thing is that ORU, NDSU and SDSU appear poised to possibly do just that very thing, IF their current coaches stay put (instead of jumping for the first decent job that comes along, as typically occurs) and the XDSU's don't elevate to D1 football status and jump to another league. 

All things considered, we could be entering a "Golden Age" of Summit League basketball, with the ultimate payoff being multiple bids for the NCAA tournament (as women's basketball has earned the past couple of seasons).  THAT is the sort of development that will ultimately improve ORU's chances for a better home non-conference schedule.

Good points, OT.  The SL has an opportunity to get to the next level of mid-major by hiring the right Commissioner that can lead the institutions in the league with vision and mission to build quality athletic programs that can heighten the schools' stature by investing in academics, facilities, and quality opponents that bring TV attention.  Our schools are not in major media markets to attract the attention needed to get the big contracts, but if the schools build and invest their programs, the rising tide will lift all ships.

1 minute ago, Bogus Smith said:

Good points, OT.  The SL has an opportunity to get to the next level of mid-major by hiring the right Commissioner that can lead the institutions in the league with vision and mission to build quality athletic programs that can heighten the schools' stature by investing in academics, facilities, and quality opponents that bring TV attention.  Our schools are not in major media markets to attract the attention needed to get the big contracts, but if the schools build and invest their programs, the rising tide will lift all ships.

Oh, the Summit has some decent markets in the likes of Denver, Kansas City, Tulsa, Omaha/Council Bluffs, and now Minneapolis/St. Paul; they're just lacking large numbers of alumni in those towns.

But, nothing like some NCAA success to draw some local bandwagon eyeballs, as ORU enjoyed this past March...

GoldenEagleFan asked a good question regarding the cost and distances of the two Division II teams in Texas that I mentioned.  I'm originally from Wichita Falls, where Midwestern State is located.  It is 244 miles to Tulsa from there, which is 3.5 hours.  I taught at West Texas A&M in Canyon, which is 364 miles from Tulsa, or just over 5 hours.  Also, I researched Division I basketball programs in Texas, and there are 24.  At any rate, I don't think ORU would be out of a lot of money to bring such teams in.  Currently, there are 350 division 1 basketball programs in the U.S., with 7 more transitioning.  There are also 300 division II teams in the U.S.  As we have been discussing, there are 3 teams on our schedule that are suspect, but Haskell is the obvious one that should be jettisoned, as it is a NAIA school.  Out of 600+ prospects to replace this team on the schedule, surely ONE could have been found.

On another note, with the Summit League Commissioner retiring, what do you think the ramifications might be?

TheEagleman thinks you could find 8-10 guys in the regular student body in the Men's Dorms who could beat Haskell.....sorry but scheduling them is a joke.....starting five won't likely even suit up.....🙄

• Haha 1

That was a good one Eagleman, nice laugh for the day!  How about we get you, me, OT, Dr. C, and ORU 40 and will take on Haskell! We would just pass the ball to ORU 40 and we would blow them out!  Last year ORU played Bacone and they did not have a player over 6'2 and even the manager scored!

The bottom line is: very few Division 1 teams will come to the Mabee Center and Coach does not want to travel much.  So what other option does ORU have but to schedule Haskel/non D1 teams?  At some point Mills may have to travel to some of those early season tournaments and get three quality games in a mostly neutral site. 

Geez, enough with the Haskell-bashing:  please recall that the school's official name is Haskell Indian Nations University.  Located in Lawrence, KS, it was founded in 1884 as a boarding school for indigenous children run by the U.S. Bureau of Indian Affairs.  It has grown from that dubious "assimilation" doctrine into a more well-rounded institution that celebrates Native American culture while providing a broader range of educational opportunities.

The last time ORU hosted Haskell, it was in recognition of Native American Heritage Day, and the Golden Eagles were decked out in these awesome Nike N7 uniforms:

34658524_RJNikeNuni.jpg.cc0ed49f813a9bfeb71c47e3a8735d0a.jpg

I'm hoping/guessing that this year's contest is part of a similar promotion.

A Native American school, playing the "Golden Eagles", in Oklahoma, on a day dedicated to celebrating their rich heritage - does anyone truly have a problem with that??  I didn't think so! 🙂

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Geez, enough with the Haskell-bashing:  please recall that the school's official name is Haskell Indian Nations University.  Located in Lawrence, KS, it was founded in 1884 as a boarding school for indigenous children run by the U.S. Bureau of Indian Affairs.  It has grown from that dubious "assimilation" doctrine into a more well-rounded institution that celebrates Native American culture while providing a broader range of educational opportunities.

The last time ORU hosted Haskell, it was in recognition of Native American Heritage Day, and the Golden Eagles were decked out in these awesome Nike N7 uniforms:

A Native American school, playing the "Golden Eagles", in Oklahoma, on a day dedicated to celebrating their rich heritage - does anyone truly have a problem with that??  I didn't think so! 🙂

Considering that our founder was part-Cherokee, this seems like a right and fitting game to play.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Keenan Henderson said:

That was a good one Eagleman, nice laugh for the day!  How about we get you, me, OT, Dr. C, and ORU 40 and will take on Haskell! We would just pass the ball to ORU 40 and we would blow them out!  Last year ORU played Bacone and they did not have a player over 6'2 and even the manager scored!

The bottom line is: very few Division 1 teams will come to the Mabee Center and Coach does not want to travel much.  So what other option does ORU have but to schedule Haskel/non D1 teams?  At some point Mills may have to travel to some of those early season tournaments and get three quality games in a mostly neutral site. 

Sign me up!!🏀😆

ABSOLUTELY ZERO OFFENSE intended to our Native American brothers and sisters.....but playing this game is still absurd....does it pay them respect to whip them 115-50????....sorry, TheEagleman will leave it alone.....🥴

2 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

ABSOLUTELY ZERO OFFENSE intended to our Native American brothers and sisters.....but playing this game is still absurd....does it pay them respect to whip them 115-50????....sorry, TheEagleman will leave it alone.....🥴

Perhaps they and their families get as big a kick out of playing in the Mabee Center as that suggested "Bizarro Dream Team" of you me, Keenan, Dr. C and ORU40 would, regardless of the final score.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Not related to Haskell but this YouTube documentary on 2015 Winnebago (Nebraska) state champion basketball team is worth watching and learning about Rezball.

This team starred Memphis signee and current SDSU forward David Wingett along with his brothers.

• Upvote 1

Just reading through this post and I’m appreciative of OT doing his homework on HINU.  First of all, NO, you fat, out of shape alums couldn’t hang at the local YMCA let alone beat any NAIA squad.  Second, I attended there in the mid 90’s and the guys playing in the intramural league would have beaten the university team.  Now those intramural games was where the excitement was!  For those not familiar with Rez ball, I encourage you to research it.   It is an exciting style of ball.  Here’s your interesting HINU fact of the day.  Former Haskell and KU runner Billy Mills is the only American to win the Olympic gold medal in the 10,000 meter race.  Looking forward to Mayors Cup in November!

You are right TU Pond, I was just acting silly about the alums beating Haskell.  Never was trying to make Haskell look bad and if it came across that way then I apologize.  Sometimes it is challenging on any forum, when we are not talking face to face, to convey what you really mean in a post.  The jokes (bad ones) do not always come out as you hope.

No offense taken.  That program has been down for awhile which amazes me considering the talent that is available to them in the areas they recruit.  Believe it or not I am planning on catching a few ORU games and checking out the upgrades.  One of those being the TU game of course. In spite of the new landscape for college hoops I still get amped up for it, can’t wait!

• Upvote 1

Looking at this completed schedule, I think ORU has a good chance to go 20-9 in the regular season.  They may be 7-4 in nonconference (lose to OSU, TCU, Colorado State, and Missouri State) and 13-5 in conference play.  It would be nice to win 20 games because it has been about ten years since the Golden Eagles accomplished that (12-13 season).  Then they would just need to peak in March and make another sweet 16 run!