Publicity (March Madness 2021)

ORUTerry

Of course what is different about ORU is the strong Christian faith.  Let's face it a lot of young people what to party, drink, and chase women/men or both these days and ORU just does not fit that profile.  ORU will draw a lot of interest with this Sweet 16 run but in the end they still mainly get interest from young people of faith.  Unless their parents just make them go and hope ORU will be a good influence on them.

11 minutes ago, ORUTerry said:

Hopefully the administration understands this and the opportunity that we have been given. 

Agreed - hoping the president and the board understand the opportunity. But it takes $$$ to make things happen. 

ORUTerry, with my upcoming $25 donation and your upcoming $1,000,000, we'll be in a good spot to keep this ride rolling. 

Good article! I think we can all envision this happening at ORU especially as the staff and administrators continue to honor the Lord like they are! Such an amazing time to be an ORU Alum and fan! So proud of what the coaching staff and players are doing and representing the school in such a classy fashion!

Abilene Christian ran a nice commercial for the University last night during their game....wonder if ORU will think about buying a nice 30 sec. commercial or two on Saturday night in prime time during our game vs. Arkansas on TBS....millions will be watching.....would make a lot of sense.....:tb-blue:

• Upvote 1

They played a ORU commercial inside Mackey on Friday, not sureif that was on TV or just for the 1300 in attendance 

Just now, ORUPucks said:

They played a ORU commercial inside Mackey on Friday, not sureif that was on TV or just for the 1300 in attendance 

That was great. It was a nice commercial, but I noticed that nothing was played on Sunday (unless I just missed it). Hopefully they'll play something of ours on Saturday. 

Anyone going on Saturday, I’m planning on it just waiting to hear if I have tickets 

CBS puts Max and KO on the all-first weekend 1st team:

CBS: 2021 NCAA Tournament: Honoring the standout players from the first two rounds of a wild March Madness

The first two rounds of the 2021 NCAA Tournament featured everything a college basketball fan could have hoped for as the event returned following last year's pandemic-related hiatus. There were stunning upsets, dramatic finishes and breakout stars with a handful of players standing out above the rest for their heroic efforts on the big stage.

This weekend's Sweet 16 will offer a chance for many of those stars to build their legacies, but with the field winnowing rapidly, it's time to take a moment and appreciate what's been accomplished so far. Basketball is the ultimate team sport, but there is no question that individual greatness is often a key ingredient to success this time of year.

Take Oral Roberts, for example. The No. 15 seed Eagles' one-two punch of Max Abmas and Kevin Obanor have carried the program to an unlikely appearance in the Sweet 16, and they may not be done yet. But they are just two of the individuals who emerged as heroes during the opening weekend of action... (FULL STORY)

That is incredible and well deserved.  They said right now Obanor would be the MVP of the tournament and it sounds like Arkansas’ Smith would not be far behind.  I guess that is why the ORU vs Arkansas game has received the Saturday night prime-time slot.  This is very surreal.

1 hour ago, ORUPucks said:

Anyone going on Saturday, I’m planning on it just waiting to hear if I have tickets 

We're going up. Not sure yet about tickets. I've heard the Alumni Association is planning to have a watch party for alumni that are in Indianapolis but don't have tickets to the game, so we may be watching there.

• Like 1

ORU ran 2 ads during one of the games (I think it was the Ohio State game).  I am sure it was probably a local ad buy not a national ad buy.  Also I really like the commercial.  It was very well produced.

1 hour ago, ORUPucks said:

I am going - really looking forward to this experience.  I still remember the 1974 game.  I was a senior in HS planning on attending ORU in the fall.  One of my father's close friends was the father of KU's Dale Greenlee.  I remember watching the game with my Dad on TV, being really torn between friendship and school allegiance.  If I would have known then what I know today, I would have been all in for ORU.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I was watching the Blackhawks and Panthers hockey game tonight and the announcers mentioned ORU 

9 hours ago, ORUTerry said:

Glasper’s injury appeared to be a set back with the loss of our point guard and his experience. Mills made the right decision to bring Jurgens into the lineup instead of other options. It shows the adaptability and resilience of the team. Who knew that Jurgens would be the spark? I like to think of it as Providence. 😀

I agree that Carlos Jurgens has played a significant X-Factor role in our late-season resurgence, especially defensively.  But, I also remember that he was a complete mess at the FT line during his freshman year, and a turnover machine in the first stages of this season.  And, in both cases, he has improved dramatically.

By the numbers:

Free Throws - 

2018-19 season 6-18 .333

2020-21 season 39-50 .780

Turnovers per minute played:

First ten games this season - 11/151 for 2.91 per 40 minutes

Last ten games (since RJ injury) - 12/340 for 1.41 per 40 minutes (less than half the rate!)

Improvement in these two areas has allowed Carlos to spend more time on the court, showcase his defensive prowess, and become a key role player in the team's success.  Well done!

Finally, I just noticed (again) Carlos' stat line for the Ohio State game: 42 minutes, 6 assists, 5 steals, ZERO turnovers.  WOW...