Publicity (March Madness 2021)

ORUTerry

Good to hear from Carlos and Francis on the Paul Mills Show.  We get to see March Madness from an international flavor!  Guessing those guys will be healdine news in their own countries in the next few days.  When they go back home for the summer they will be like rock stars!  Girls/ladies will be chasing them down the street.

Snuck a quick peek at chapel (on-line) today (Wednesday) and all of the worship team members have ORU basketball jerseys on  

Sorry if this has already been posted, but this video is awesome 

3 minutes ago, ORUTerry said:

We have never had a coach that so fits the mission of the church. Simply incredible.

Barry Hinson?

I quoted this from the article elsewhere today, and I think it bears repeating here:

Last summer, you graduated from Dallas Theological Seminary with a master’s in biblical and theological studies. But you aren’t going into vocational ministry. So why does a basketball coach need a theology degree?

The kinds of questions you get from players after practice aren’t “How do I shoot a free throw better?” or “What do I do on this pick-and-roll?” It’s “Coach, my dad hit my mom last night, and I’m going to see him later tonight. What should I do?”

Regardless of job title, you’re always ministering to somebody. And the more you know Scripture, the better equipped you’re going to be for whatever is needed. Basically, the more I invested in myself, the more I could help the players I was around.

Coach Mills seems to have tremendous depth and insight. He is representing the name of Christ in such an honoring way! The prosperity gospel is not based on sound biblical principles and the world at large sees right thru it. The principles that Coach Mills talks about are time tested and true! I am so proud in every way right now to be an alum and fan!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, eagle88 said:

The prosperity gospel is not based on sound biblical principles and the world at large sees right thru it. 

BINGO! 1,000%.

1 hour ago, ORUTerry said:

Great interview of Coach Mills by the Gospel Coalition:

Link:   https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/article/coaching-cinderella/

We have never had a coach that so fits the mission of the church. Simply incredible.

I signed on to re-post this from a friend who sent it to me.  I’m glad to see you already posted it. I agree!  Great article. Worth the read. 

• Upvote 1

Love and basketball: College hoops power couple competing in both men's, women's NCAA tournaments

lacis_dreimane.jpg

As the Texas A&M women’s basketball team waited to receive results of their COVID-19 tests on Saturday, senior center Anna Dreimane and her teammates watched the end of the first-round matchup between Oral Roberts and Ohio State in the men's tournament.

Dreimane and the others yelled as the Buckeyes tried to send the game to overtime, but when the buzzer sounded and Oral Roberts became the ninth 15-seed to make it to the round of 32, Dreimane got up to hug and kiss — with mask on — the TV.

The hug and kiss were for her boyfriend, Oral Roberts starting forward Francis Lacis. The Texas A&M women’s basketball Twitter account posted Dreimane’s reaction, which Lacis said was the best thing he saw following the win. 

“The emotions after winning the game was cool, but then you'll see that video and that's something that you can just rewatch the next day and it still warms your heart,” Lacis told USA TODAY Sports.

Both players are from Latvia and played for the same club basketball team there. They weren’t friends, but that changed on New Year’s Eve in 2016 at a party organized by one of Dreimane’s teammates. Three months later, they were a couple. Now they are in their respective bubbles of Indianapolis and San Antonio, rooting for each other to win a national championship. 

“We're definitely each other's biggest cheerleaders,” Dreimane said. (FULL STORY)

Here is a link to Wednesday’s chapel service. Forward to the 21 minute mark to where Dr. Wilson begins speaking about the basketball team and speaks to Coach Mills and the team 

7 hours ago, ORUTerry said:

Great interview of Coach Mills by the Gospel Coalition:

Link:   https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/article/coaching-cinderella/

What do we have to do to keep this guy?

I'm already re-working my budget to to show financial support for the program. 

• Upvote 1

A coach with a Theology degree?

I would have liked to have a coach like that!