Publicity (March Madness 2021)

ORUTerry

49 minutes ago, darrenj said:

OT, Does he remind you of Luke Spencer-Gardner a little bit? Just a really tough guard that is solid and does a lot for his team. 

Luke was more of a quarterback and a creator, but I can see the resemblance in his toughness and even temperament.

The guy he really reminds me of is Lawson Korita, a 6'5" swing man for TU the last couple of seasons before this one.  A glue guy with some length who can guard a variety of players (Korita did a great job on Max last season at the Reynolds Center), who can handle the ball, get some rebounds, and knock down shots when the opportunity presents itself.  I never felt like Frank Haith at TU ever really got all out of Korita that he could have, and they sure as heck missed him this year.

And, who knows:  RJ doesn't get hurt, and Carlos doesn't get the opportunity to be an "everyday guy", ORU's defense and lower turnovers doesn't materialize late in the year like it did, and maybe none of this Cinderalla story ever happens?

Don't get me wrong:  I still love RJ, and I hope there's a way he can return next year, but I think every successful team needs a multi-tool grinder like Carlos.  Call him "The Estonian Army Knife".

knife tools GIF by Kaho Yoshida

You make your own luck.... and you have to recognize and seize the opportunities presented.

• Upvote 1

The encouraging thing is that we have also watched these players develop over the last 1-2 years. 

Abmas has developed his game.  Same with Obanor and Jurgens.  And there is clearly even more development potential for DJ Weaver, RJ Glasper, Bergens, Stevens, Clover, Plet, Lufile, and others.

So Coach Mills and his staff, while being originally considered as really good recruiters, are now also showing their player development skills and recently the development in their in-game coaching skills as well.

8 minutes ago, ORUJason said:

So Coach Mills and his staff, while being originally considered as really good recruiters, are now also showing their player development skills and recently the development in their in-game coaching skills as well.

I wish I could find my post from after the Summit tournament where I said recruiting is the only piece of the puzzle he's succeeded at and that his player development is suspect. How silly was I?

12 minutes ago, ORUTerry said:

You make your own luck.... and you have to recognize and seize the opportunities presented.

So, the injury that forced the lineup change, that resulted in better defense and winning these tight games wasn't dumb luck? 

6 minutes ago, EagleManiac said:

I wish I could find my post from after the Summit tournament where I said recruiting is the only piece of the puzzle he's succeeded at and that his player development is suspect. How silly was I?

Hold my beer.  😳

18 minutes ago, ORUTerry said:

As I heard Howard Cosell say years ago on a televised baseball game, when Hal McRae had a triple on a bloop hit over third base....

"luck is the residue of desire"

17 minutes ago, oruvoice said:

So, the injury that forced the lineup change, that resulted in better defense and winning these tight games wasn't dumb luck? 

Glasper’s injury appeared to be a set back with the loss of our point guard and his experience. Mills made the right decision to bring Jurgens into the lineup instead of other options. It shows the adaptability and resilience of the team. Who knew that Jurgens would be the spark? I like to think of it as Providence. 😀

13 minutes ago, ORUTerry said:

Glasper’s injury appeared to be a set back with the loss of our point guard and his experience. Mills made the right decision to bring Jurgens into the lineup instead of other options. It shows the adaptability and resilience of the team. Who knew that Jurgens would be the spark? I like to think of it as Providence. 😀

Fair enough. I'll take it. Even with my recent "situation", I gotta say that I've thoroughly enjoyed the last couple of weeks. I almost started tearing up during the end of the Ohio State and Florida games. I love ORU basketball, despite a couple of knuckleheads on staff. 

Been a minute since I've been on the message board...loved reading this thread and spending way too much company time the last two days listening to interviews and hot takes from the national media. It's been so refreshing as an alumnus who has gotten a million, "Why did you go there?!" since I graduated 17 years ago to see the university not only recognized and discussed on a national level, but in a very positive light.

I so want to buy new ORU gear and join up with some buddies to watch the game this Saturday, but I watched the first two games in the quiet of my office and I'm not typically superstitious but I just can't risk the jinx of breaking the routine...

...but after this is all over I look forward to buying a new ORU cap and hoping people asking me if I went to school there!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

I’m tempted to go to Indy or the Mabee Center.... but I will not upset the routine either. It’s been successful so far 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, brandon_howard said:

I so want to buy new ORU gear and join up with some buddies to watch the game this Saturday, but I watched the first two games in the quiet of my office and I'm not typically superstitious but I just can't risk the jinx of breaking the routine...

...but after this is all over I look forward to buying a new ORU cap and hoping people asking me if I went to school there!

Welcome back! The Athletic Department site put this up today. There are some pretty nice Sweet 16 shirts.

spacer.png

• Like 1

I know Doc posted the full interview, but this short clip of Scott Drew describing Coach Mills is hilarious 

4 hours ago, 92EagleFan Matt B said:

IIRC, I read/heard something years ago that a big upset win in March Madness causes an increase in applications for enrollment by something like 40% the following year. It would be interesting to see what the actual impact to applications will be at ORU.

Enrollment, endowment soar with Gonzaga hoops success - Spokesman Review (2017)