Publicity (March Madness 2021)

ORUTerry

11 hours ago, ORUJason said:

Stephen A. Smith was talking about an ORU graduate named Galen Gordon who is now a Senior VP at ABC and was previously a coordinating producer at ESPN, and how Galen was touting ORU's basketball success to him.  I remember Galen Gordon, he was on my wing on Covenant on EMR 4 North during my senior year.

Shout out to Galen for the tremendous career success he has had and for representing ORU proudly to Stephen A. Smith. 👍

Hopefully Galen Gordon can teach Screamin A Smith how to pronounce Abmas and Obanor. I’m happy to hear ORU, and Gordon, get all the shout outs but do your homework man!

8 hours ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

dd_show.jpg

Your browser does not support the audio element.

I can’t get this to play - anyone else?

38 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

I can’t get this to play - anyone else?

Try it now OT

The Slipper Fits Perfectly For Oral Roberts

max.jpg

On a court plastered with “MARCH MADNESS,” about 90 seconds into his first NCAA men’s tournament game, Max Abmas pulled up from the logo without hesitation. Oral Roberts’s star entered Friday as the nation’s leading scorer at 24.2 points per game. Surely, Ohio State knew to smother him at any opportunity. Abmas’s answer was to shoot from farther back. He drilled that deep 3-pointer, pushing his team’s lead to 7-0 in a game the 15th-seeded Golden Eagles would go on to win in overtime, 75-72.

As always, it would be foolish to look back on Oral Roberts’s implausible run to the Sweet 16 and say it was easy to see it coming. FiveThirtyEight’s March Madness model estimated the Golden Eagles’ chances at 6 percent in the first round against Ohio State. Peter Keating and Jordan Brenner’s Slingshot model, which rewards teams that have a propensity to take and make 3-pointers, set the underdog’s chances at 9 percent. And when the No. 15 seed trailed by 8 in the first half Friday, Ken Pomeroy had its win probability at 2.3 percent. By any stretch, the upset was far-fetched, just as the eight previous 15-versus-2 upsets were.

But Oral Roberts’s reliance on individual star power harks back to another victorious No. 15 seed — Lehigh, led by CJ McCollum in 2012. McCollum exploded onto the scene with 30 points in a first-round upset of Duke, then parlayed that performance into a first-round draft pick the following year. Abmas is a sophomore who had only five scholarship offers in high school: from Oral Roberts, Marist, Air Force, Army and Navy. All season, he piled up points in McCollum-esque obscurity. He had already dropped 28 points against Wichita State, 33 against Oklahoma State and 20 against Oklahoma earlier in the season. (FULL STORY)

• Upvote 1

The article on Abmas by Fivethirtyeight is insightful and gives a lot of perspective on Mills’ approach to basketball. 

An ESPN article this morning by Myron Medcalf attempts to reseed the 16 remaining teams in the Sweet 16.  I was very surprised at ORU’s seed.  I assumed we would be seeded 16th or maybe 15th.  Instead the author seeded ORU 11th, right behind Arkansas and ahead of USC, Oregon, Oregon State, UCLA, and Creighton.  

Wow!

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

From this little snippet (and some of the other interviews he's done), it sounds like Mills could be interested in building something here.  

Can we do what it takes financially to demonstrate OUR commitment to building something as well?

22 minutes ago, EagleManiac said:

Can we do what it takes financially to demonstrate OUR commitment to building something as well?

I sure hope so!

This is a very rare opportunity we need to capitalize on! I grew up in Spokane Washington watching Gonzaga go from an NAIA school to what they are today. What is happening this March could be the catalyst for ORU to move to a much higher level! 

• Upvote 1

IIRC, I read/heard something years ago that a big upset win in March Madness causes an increase in applications for enrollment by something like 40% the following year. It would be interesting to see what the actual impact to applications will be at ORU.

The whole interview is worth watching but I have the video starting at (23:38) with the story of how Mills got the ORU job...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Success in the NCAA tournament can have a significant impact on enrollment. I think that has been well documented. Not entirely rational, but it happens. 

46 minutes ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

The whole interview is worth watching but I have the video starting at (23:38) with the story of how Mills got the ORU job...

That is really good stuff!  It makes you realize the strong bonds those guys have and why Baylor will always be special to Coach Mills.

51 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Carlos Jurgens making headlines in his native country of Estonia:

224552908_CarlosJurgensarticle.thumb.jpeg.dcc1f4c182302e42085db0314a8ff615.jpeg

Here's a link to the article:  https://news.err.ee/1608150970/carlos-jurgens-and-oral-roberts-advance-to-march-madness-sweet-16

OT, Does he remind you of Luke Spencer-Gardner a little bit? Just a really tough guard that is solid and does a lot for his team.