Bright future for ORU!

Keenan Henderson

This run to the dance should really help with recuriting!  Thoughts?

Who ya gonna run off?

Isn't everyone on the roster entitled to return next year, due to COVID grace year for eligibility?

3 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Who ya gonna run off?

Isn't everyone on the roster entitled to return next year, due to COVID grace year for eligibility?

Are they not expanding the number of scholarships slots for the year? Surely they have to, right? 

2 minutes ago, EagleManiac said:

Are they not expanding the number of scholarships slots for the year? Surely they have to, right? 

I don't know...and stop calling me Shirley.

Awkward Leslie Nielsen GIF by filmeditor

• Haha 1

Not just this year but in the future, this should give ORU an advantage in recuriting.  Players want to play for a winner!  Not trying to run anyone off but maybe Jones would not come back next year.  He has been with the team for three years and basically only plays 2-3 minutes a game.  Still think the freshmen: Clover, Plet, and Bergmens have a bright future with ORU.

As a Razorback fan, I know Arkansas is not bringing back any of their three seniors.  So the Power 5 schools may let them go but yeah probaly most mid majors will want to keep their seniors. I saw the interview with NDSU last night and Rocky Kreuser said he is still deciding on whether or not to return next year.

10 minutes ago, MrsSmith said:

I feel bad for any high school senior athlete in a winter sport.  Where do they have to go?

If there isn't an increase in the scholarship positions that could cause a big problem.

Wondering if Coach Mills and his agent will be checking around to get a better deal?....especially if ORU has a good showing in the Tournament....plus Coach showed a personality in ESPN interviews the past couple nights.....:hc_mills:

22 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

Wondering if Coach Mills and his agent will be checking around to get a better deal?....especially if ORU has a good showing in the Tournament....plus Coach showed a personality in ESPN interviews the past couple nights.....

He's 55-65 at ORU in 4 years. I'm sure the big boys will be beating down his door...

Interestingly, that's exactly how many games Bill Self won at ORU before TU poached him. He did have "only" 54 losses, and I'm not in any way comparing their coaching acumen or marketability. But I think everyone knows to discount the first year or two completely rebuilding a roster.

1 hour ago, theeagleman5 said:

Wondering if Coach Mills and his agent will be checking around to get a better deal?....especially if ORU has a good showing in the Tournament....plus Coach showed a personality in ESPN interviews the past couple nights.....:hc_mills:

Coach Mills entered this season (I think) in the fourth year of a five-year deal that (allegedly) does not pay very much, even for a low-major school.

That would technically qualify him as poachable, but does anyone know whether might have already received a contract extension with ORU?

And, if he has, is/was it enough to keep potential suitors at bay that were interested in talking to him?

Plus, what type of schools might peak his interest at this stage of his life?  He seems very comfortable with the ORU mission and limited external demands on personal time that ORU affords, and that most larger schools would consume.

1 hour ago, EagleManiac said:

He's 55-65 at ORU in 4 years. I'm sure the big boys will be beating down his door...

Considering how bad the program was when Mills came in the record is understandable... but you're right, an AD isn't going to be able to sell that (unless we win a game or two).

Aftet this run to the tournament, ORU should give Mills an extension and a raise.  Very well deserved!

Agreed...unless there are other factors we are unaware of....Coach Mills deserves an extension and a nice boost in pay....💵

4 hours ago, ORUTex said:

Interestingly, that's exactly how many games Bill Self won at ORU before TU poached him. He did have "only" 54 losses, and I'm not in any way comparing their coaching acumen or marketability. But I think everyone knows to discount the first year or two completely rebuilding a roster.

Very interesting stat. Thanks for pointing that out. I feel like my point stands though - he's done a decent job in a low major - nothing more. Even throwing out the first couple of years, it hasn't been overwhelming.

Not saying I don't hope he gets a pay bump and contract extension, just that I doubt he'll have a ton of big money knocking on his door.... yet. 

I am THRILLED for the kids and the alumni. But, let's pump the breaks for a minute. I mean, we finished 4th in the conference standings and barely over .500 in the regular season. 

To give a big extension/raise at this point would be a mistake. A small raise and extension is ok. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2