Bright future for ORU!

Keenan Henderson

1 hour ago, ORUTerry said:

That was the third championship game (Oakland, Chicago State, then Oakland again). Yemi shut down Kangas and Shawn King blocked/altered every shot near the basket in the second half. We overcame an 11 point first half deficit. 

Note OT says of the 3 CHAMPIONSHIPS at the UMAC ie the ones ORU won

Yeah, I said “championships”, not “championship games”.

Sadly in contrast, I can remember every stinking second down the stretch of that first championship GAME vs. Oakland.

Paul Mills said in that radio interview from Waco posted elsewhere that “coaches remember the losses more than they do the wins”.

Same goes for die-hard fans, Coach...trust us.  #PierreFreakingDukes

• Like 1

I was sitting on the baseline. Rawl Marshall had the ball and made a move the basket, but Tutt cut him off. (One of the only good defensive move he made in the game.) Marshall’s only alternative was to pass the ball to Dukes - who made a three. In retrospect, Tutt should have let Marshall drive. 

Kampe came over and spoke with us before and through out the game (during timeouts). Late in the second half, he asked us what he should do. The guy next to me said “take Rawl Marshall out - he’s tired”. Kampe said he thought he would keep him in. Right after the game, after momentarily celebrating with his team, Kampe came over and told us “best team didn’t win”.

14 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Yeah, I said “championships”, not “championship games”.

Sadly in contrast, I can remember every stinking second down the stretch of that first championship GAME vs. Oakland.

Paul Mills said in that radio interview from Waco posted elsewhere that “coaches remember the losses more than they do the wins”.

Same goes for die-hard fans, Coach...trust us.  #PierreFreakingDukes

I didnt even see the play was going down the stairs to storm court with son got there it was dead silent🥺🥺

13 hours ago, ORUTerry said:

I was sitting on the baseline. Rawl Marshall had the ball and made a move the basket, but Tutt cut him off. (One of the only good defensive move he made in the game.) Marshall’s only alternative was to pass the ball to Dukes - who made a three. In retrospect, Tutt should have let Marshall drive. 

Kampe came over and spoke with us before and through out the game (during timeouts). Late in the second half, he asked us what he should do. The guy next to me said “take Rawl Marshall out - he’s tired”. Kampe said he thought he would keep him in. Right after the game, after momentarily celebrating with his team, Kampe came over and told us “best team didn’t win”.

Greg was great even if he got hyper on the sidelines sometimes😃😃

• 2 weeks later...

Hahah, this thread aged well, didn't it? 

After reading through this thread, the conversation has become much different!! I would consider Mills to now be a legitimate prospect for the "big boys" as EagleManiac put it. I personally hope the athletic dept. is prepared to give him the raise he deserves! 

It doesn't matter the raise we offer. If he wants to leave, he will. If a "big boy" comes calling, there is no number that will keep him here. Heck, even if an AAC level team offers him, he's gone. 

And honestly, that's fine. Go find the next young, hungry assistant. 

I actually think it would take a pretty good job offer to get him to leave. I don’t think an AAC level team would do it. If Max and KO leave unexpectedly, then that would change things, but right now Coach Mills has a really good team returning that will have a great chance to repeat as conference champs and maybe make another deep NCAA run. With as good as this team is right now, and the improvement they’ve shown throughout the season, I would argue that he won’t be able to find a job that’s as ready made to contend as ORU is next year. Basically, unless Indiana comes calling, or maybe Baylor unexpectedly opens up if Scott Drew leaves, then I think coach Mills will wait at least another season before jumping to a big job. Porter Moser did that after Loyola’s run last season and it looks like it’s working out well for him. 

I think Mills is a Texas/Oklahoma or Midwest guy. Not sure he would want to go East coast, West coast or far North. He is from Houston and spent 14 years in Waco. I don’t see any obvious destinations for him in the current open positions. 

I just listened to the Rich Eisen show segment with Coach Mills. The fill-in host asked him about other opportunities and Coach didn’t sound like anyone who is looking to move on. 

Personally I don't believe success means that Mills will automatically leave. Perhaps those that say this know Mills personally, which i admittedly don't. From what I can tell, many on this board have misjudged Mills ability, why the certainty about his intentions? Not only does he embody the perfect ambassador for the University, but he seems to appreciate those aspects about the University. Seems to me if the only thing he was worried about was his paycheck, he wouldn't have taken this job.

• Upvote 1

He has a couple young kids as well. The older they get, and and the longer he is here, I imagine would have an impact.

Guys, I think we enjoy this run and let the chips fall where they may. If coach Mills get's an awesome opportunity, I wouldn't fault him for leaving while the going is good. It's not every year you get the nation's leading scoring combo on your team. I think one of Scott Sutton's biggest mistakes was not leaving for Wichita State when he had the chance. If the right opportunity comes along, Coach Mills won't make the same mistake. 

• Upvote 1

I get why this may be seen as a stepping stone job, but I also believe in the mission of the University, and believe we have the potential to be a greater program than we are right now. He's a coach worth fighting for! When/(if) he ever leaves in the future, I will be immensely grateful. Otherwise, I can't wait to see what he is able to accomplish during his time here, and the things he will inspire at our university. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Idig32 said:

I actually think it would take a pretty good job offer to get him to leave. I don’t think an AAC level team would do it. If Max and KO leave unexpectedly, then that would change things, but right now Coach Mills has a really good team returning that will have a great chance to repeat as conference champs and maybe make another deep NCAA run. With as good as this team is right now, and the improvement they’ve shown throughout the season, I would argue that he won’t be able to find a job that’s as ready made to contend as ORU is next year. Basically, unless Indiana comes calling, or maybe Baylor unexpectedly opens up if Scott Drew leaves, then I think coach Mills will wait at least another season before jumping to a big job. Porter Moser did that after Loyola’s run last season and it looks like it’s working out well for him. 

I wonder what job Porter Moser is waiting on? Now he does make $1.4 million a year at Loyola and lives in a $2 million dollar home that Loyola helps with so maybe he is just happy there.:) I don't think he will take the Indiana job. 

I understand that if a "big boy" comes calling and offers big money, that it'd be hard for Mills to turn down, but I still hope/expect the AD to make the effort to at least put forth their best extension and raise.