Bright future for ORU!

Keenan Henderson

Must be settlement figure of some sort for Scott Sutton; pretty sure he was making between $400K-to-$500K when he was dismissed.

As for a salary bump for Paul Mills (and presumably his staff), must factor in current economic climate amidst the pandemic.  Budgets have been slashed; schools are wiping out entire sports programs, including the coaches.

Win or lose, maybe it's just nice to keep your job right now in college athletics.

Goodness. Less than $200K total comp? Maybe he deserves a bigger pay raise than I thought.

1 hour ago, SpaceManSpiff said:

From the latest Form 990 I can find (2018 tax year):

image.png.2d8e9c65dc4b91b1e7d61ca5636738b2.png

Exhibit A as to why you don't give Mills (or any coach) a big time pay hike and extension, based on getting hot for one week. 

Now, if he comes back next year and wins the regular season and conference tourney, getting a 12 or 13 seed, then perhaps.

Rats Spaceman beat me to the form 990 post 😡  It was filed exactly a year ago today so the 2020 salary information could be available soon. 

if you go back to the 2016 990 Scott was making around $455k

Edited by Otis 83

Come on, Voice...it's not YOUR money....:hc_mills:

6 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

Come on, Voice...it's not YOUR money....:hc_mills:

One possession from us talking about the biggest meltdown in the history of college basketball. How soon we forget that NDSU cut it from 25 to 1 and had the ball with 14 seconds left and a chance to win the game.

But sure...back up the Brinks trucks. 

• Like 1

But we didn't lose....we won....they lost.....75-72 baby and that's all that counts...20 yrs from now nobody will remember the 2nd half meltdown.....well, I might....I still remember all too well the 1974 meltdown with 3 min left in the Regional final vs. Kansas.....lol   :tb-white:

3 minutes ago, oruvoice said:

One possession from us talking about the biggest meltdown in the history of college basketball. How soon we forget that NDSU cut it from 25 to 1 and had the ball with 14 seconds left and a chance to win the game.

But sure...back up the Brinks trucks. 

😄 Valid points but...

Al Davis Nfl GIF by Las Vegas Raiders

I love that....Voice has become a hater.....i understand he was mistreated and none of us agree with that....but this is ORU's finest hour...let's not rain on the parade....unfortunately letting Voice go was not ORU's finest hour along with the Sutton Debacle.....but a few years later and we have risen from the ashes....hey Voice...what ya gonna do when we beat Michigan, OSU or Houston.....lol😉

Real quick, longtime fans:  give me a quick breakdown of the final minutes of the three championships at the UMAC. 

Little Rascals Waiting GIF

Exactly.

I’m not even sure who ORU beat in the middle one; I know it was a Cinderella Chicago State team the first time and a George Hill-led IUPUI team in the third one. 

But, whether ORU had or blew big leads in any of them?  Can’t recall.

I just remember the court being stormed in all three. 😎

• Upvote 1

We got behind to underdog Chicago State by double digits but came back to win comfortably in the second half. Everyone was holding their breath because it looked like we were going to let another underdog beat a Green/Tutt led squad. 

You guys are missing my point. 

I am thrilled for the kids and for ORU alumni/fans, of which I am both. All I was saying is that let's hold off a minute before we give Mills a 5 year extension and hefty raise. As the ever-wise ORUTerry would say...things are never as good or as bad as they seem. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Old Titan said:

I’m not even sure who ORU beat in the middle one; I know it was a Cinderella Chicago State team the first time and a George Hill-led IUPUI team in the third one. 

Honestly the only thing I remember from the UMAC days is that Pierre Dukes corner 3. 

22 minutes ago, oruvoice said:

You guys are missing my point. 

I am thrilled for the kids and for ORU alumni/fans, of which I am both. All I was saying is that let's hold off a minute before we give Mills a 5 year extension and hefty raise. As the ever-wise ORUTerry would say...things are never as good or as bad as they seem. 

Totally agree. We've had a good run at the end of the season, and we have obviously come a long ways from where we were at when Mills took over which is GREAT. But we're still a ways off from becoming a powerhouse in the Summit - what happens if we lose Max or Obanor this spring? Give him a 2 year extension and a nice bonus for making the post-season and let's see how next year goes. 

• Like 1

Based on the last 2 posts i have a few thoughts. The future is looking brighter for ORU basketball thank goodness! I see glaring similarities between the Sutton era and the Mills era. Both have proven themselves to be very mediocre coaches but both men had/have really good recruiting coaches ie. Cory Williams and Solomon Bozeman. Williams helped to recruit Green/ Tutt/ Owens and Bozeman Obanor/ Max.  As the late John Wooden once said I would never have had the success i did without the right talented players. Unless ORU stumbles into a Mark Few we will always have to recruit good players who we either develop or they fly under the radar for some reason. In my opinion what we have this year are 2 guys that work incredibly hard and have inspired the other players to step up their game. So just like the Sutton era went down hill quickly  when Green/ Tutt/ Owens graduated the same may hold true in the Mills era unless he recruits similar players to Max/ KO who are hard workers and leaders. The wild card is can Mills become a better coach? from what i have seen during his tenure at ORU and especially how he got out coached against NDSU i wouldn't count on it. Let's enjoy this time because ORU basketball seems to produce really good teams every 10-12 years.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Another thing that stands out about Coach Mills is his able to keep players.  In a college basketball world where over 1,000 players transfer every year (about 3 per team), ORU has had zero transfers in the last two years.  That means guys are buying into his system/culture, which means they have time to develop and then we see it all come together at this year's Summit League Tournament.  

The Sutton era was still relevant for a while after Corey and his players left. When was it that we almost got an at-large bid with Domo? 2012? Weren't we the first out in most projections that year? 

I agree with most of what you said, Eagle88. The one thing that makes me optimistic about Mills' abilities as a coach and not just a recruiter is that this year's team appeared to get better as the season progressed, particularly defensively, which indicates player development. That remains to be seen though, as this year could just be a fluke or a product of a couple of really good players (Obanor, Max) willing the team to success in spite of a mediocre coach. I still haven't seen much to indicate he's a great X's and O's coach. 

4 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Another thing that stands out about Coach Mills is his able to keep players.  In a college basketball world where over 1,000 players transfer every year (about 3 per team), ORU has had zero transfers in the last two years.  That means guys are buying into his system/culture, which means they have time to develop and then we see it all come together at this year's Summit League Tournament.  

That's a fair point. As much as I have been critical, that is a bright spot and he deserves credit.