10 Ripples From "Sampson to Indiana"

Guest EagleBackr

Guest Blevins

OK, I'll bite...

What is it that makes Indiana a better job than those mentioned in the above posts? Is it really THAT much better right now than the OU job?

I'm not sure it is, but one thing I'm pretty certain of... Indiana, while it may be one of the 5 most STORIED programs in the country, it's clearly not what it used to be. Realistically, isn't Indiana only the third-best program in the Big 10 (11)?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ORUTerry

• vcboy2000

• GoldenEagleAg

• praetorfenix86

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest EagleBackr
OK, I'll bite...

What is it that makes Indiana a better job than those mentioned in the above posts? Is it really THAT much better right now than the OU job?

I'm not sure it is, but one thing I'm pretty certain of... Indiana, while it may be one of the 5 most STORIED programs in the country, it's clearly not what it used to be.

Thank you... :wink:

If you're going to say Indiana deserves to be up there because it is storied how can you leave out UCLA. UCLA doesn't even hang final four banners in Pauley Pavillion, the only banners they hang up are National Championship banners, and they have a lot of them.

I thought it was generally accepted that UCLA, North Carolina, Duke, and Kentucky were basketball schools.

Yeah, No doubt. Duke is def a lacrosse school.

EagleBackr, in terms of money, there isn't a school in the country that can match Texas. So their facilities are top of the line all the way across the board. And it's painful to admit that they are on an incredible roll. But when I hear top 5 job, I think in terms of prestige, and Indiana still has that over Texas, at least for now. Of course, I don't think any coach would willingly leave Austin - for any job in any sport. They've got it too good - it's like living in a country club. So I don't know, maybe I've just convinced myself it is a top job.

Illinois is off the table though. :wink:

Guest Rob Marshall
Long-time lurker, first-time poster...

Let me break it to you gently... the Indiana job stopped being a Top 5 job about five years ago, right after Bob Knight left. You ain't North Carolina, or Kentucky or UCLA or Duke or Texas or even Illinois (ooooo, that one hurts, don't it?). All of those schools have either won a National Championship or been to the Final Four since the the Lose-iers last went.

Go lurk some more pal, and while you're lurking, check your facts before you post again. Kentucky last appeared in the Final Four in 1998 when they cut down the nets in San Antonio. Indiana appeared last in the 2002 Final Four in the ATL where IU lost in the NCAA men's basketball championship game to Maryland.

MEN'S BASKETBALL NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS ...

Illinois ZERO

Texas ZERO

UCLA 11

Kentucky 7

Indiana 5

Duke 3

North Carolina 3

UCONN 2

Kansas 2

Guest Rob Marshall
OK, I'll bite...

I'm not sure it is, but one thing I'm pretty certain of... Indiana, while it may be one of the 5 most STORIED programs in the country, it's clearly not what it used to be. Realistically, isn't Indiana only the third-best program in the Big 10 (11)?

CB, please don't bite. Check for banners hanging in the respective arenas first:

UCLA (11)

Kentucky 7)

Indiana (5)

Duke (3)

North Carolina (3)

UCONN (2)

Kansas (2)

Third best in the Big Ten? Really? There are ONLY TWO (2) BASKETBALL schools in the Big Ten ... Indiana and Illinois. Hoosiers have FIVE (5) National Championships and Illinois has ZERO (0).

Rob is really not mean-spirited. What he meant to say was that it's great that you lurk and finally decided to post, but just make sure what you're saying is fact is actually fact before you say it. :)

Wheew. ...and who says I can't work in crisis management?

Rob, I'm in agreement with you here, but wouldn't you call Michigan State a basketball school?

Guest Rob Marshall
Rob is really not mean-spirited. What he meant to say was that it's great that you lurk and finally decided to post, but just make sure what you're saying is fact is actually fact before you say it. :)

Wheew. ...and who says I can't work in crisis management?

VCBoy, you're absolutely right ... I am NOT mean-spirited. However, when an insecure person throws a veiled punch at me, I'm going to stand up and take a step closer.

Guest Rob Marshall
Rob, I'm in agreement with you here, but wouldn't you call Michigan State a basketball school?

Appreciate your agreement, Ag. Actually, MSU is a definitely a football school. The state of Michigan, like Ohio, is a football state and Spartan fans long to be like Notre Dame and Michigan (in football) far more than like (IU, KU, Duke, etc.) in basketball.

So where does Mike Davis end up? It seems that UAB would be a logical choice..... isn't Davis from Alabama?

Rob, what is your take on Sampson going to Indiana? How do you think his style of play and temperment will go over at IU? I guess if he recruits good players and wins it doesn't matter.

Guest Rob Marshall
So where does Mike Davis end up? It seems that UAB would be a logical choice..... isn't Davis from Alabama?

Rob, what is your take on Sampson going to Indiana? How do you think his style of play and temperment will go over at IU? I guess if he recruits good players and wins it doesn't matter.

Yes, Mike Davis is an Alabama guy (played for the Tide back in his day). Davis may end up as an assistant somewhere (perhaps even in the NBA), IF he doesn't land the UAB job which is clearly the best fit for him (considering jobs that are open and available).

Actually, I'm not surprised by the Sampson hire in Indiana. I think it will be a divided camp until he wins a Big Ten title and/or advances to the round of eight or better in the NCAA tournament. IU Admin clearly made a statement that the Bob Knight era of influence is OVER in Bloomington, and while many are pleased with this hire many more are disappointed at best as well as quite angry. This was an "in your face" type hire to Knight and his army of faithful Koolaid-drinking supporters.

Personally, I've never really cared much for Sampson, so I'm not too thrilled about the decision. That said, I believe Sampson will win and gain an increasingly favorable following from the Hoosier nation. When he wins, and he will win there, IU basketball tickets will be the hottest seat on the street once again. Look for plans for a new arena / basketball complex to be announced in the near future in Bloomington.

C'mon, guys. You're acting like Rob is the "guru of all things college basketball". Don't pump his head up bigger than it allready is. Remember, he works for TU! :lol:

Before you try and punch me...it was a joke man! :wink:

No, I'm the guru.... and moderator. (Well, some of the time.)

Just wanted to see what a Hoosier thought of the changes going on at Indiana.

Guest Rob Marshall

Let me clarify something from the previous post ... "I'm not surprised by the Sampson hire."

I had this discussion right after Davis resigned with several people that I thought IF OU wasn't in hot water over NCAA stuff, that Sampson would be the leading "non-IU" candidate mentioned for the Indiana job. I really thought he wouldn't get a serious look because of the the NCAA issues. However, it bodes well for OU that they may not be in THAT much trouble since Indiana went ahead and hired Sampson.

Sampson has been the hot name mentioned for MANY jobs over the last ten years, and everyone knew he was NOT happy being the head coach of OU's 4th most popular sport (FB, Spring FB, Women's BKB, then Men's BKB). Sampson wanted to be THE guy and at Indiana he is DEFINITELY THE guy not only in Bloomington but for the entire state.