10 Ripples From "Sampson to Indiana"

Guest EagleBackr

Guest EagleBackr

10. With eight years under his belt at ORU, and assuming Eddie Sutton does not return to OSU, Scott Sutton is now the most tenured head basketball coach of the Big 5 schools. From now on, we simply call him "THE DEAN."

9. Did Kelvin wait until today for this announcement out of respect to Sherri Coale and the women's program, not wanting to steal the show while their season was still in play...

8. ...or is one of the reasons he left because the women were outdrawing the men and their long-term prospects are brighter?

7. Kelvin has always been good about playing us when he was at OU. Think we can get a home-and-home or a 2-for-1 with Indiana now?

6. ATTENTION DAVID GODBOLD!! ATTENTION DAVID GODBOLD!! All is forgiven - transfer now to ORU and take the mantle from Caleb in 2007.

5. If I hear one more person say, "Joe Castiglione will get the best guy possible", I'm gonna hurl. HE TRIED TO HIRE GENE STEPHENSON FOR BASEBALL, THEN SETTLED FOR SUNNY GOLLOWAY!!" Seriously mishandled. Hiring a coach when you're a one-man search committee is a risky proposition - hope he does a little better this time than he did with the basebal hire.

4. THE GUY THEY OUGHT TO BREAK THE BANK TRYING TO GET: Tubby Smith at Kentucky. Hey, they say he's tired of dealing with all the cr@p with Wildcat Nation - he would be a HERO at OU!! He almost took the OU job last time it was open, but went to Gerogia instead.

3. THE GUYS OU THINKS THEY CAN GET, BUT WILL NEVER COME: Few at Gonzaga, Calipari at Memphis, Romar at Washington.

2. THE GUYS WHO THINK THEY HAVE A CHANCE, BUT DON'T: Turgeon at Wichita State, Penders at Houston, Hinson at Missouri State, Altman at Creighton.

1. THE GUY WHO WILL PROBABLY GET THE GIG: Crean at Marquette.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ORUTerry

• vcboy2000

• GoldenEagleAg

• praetorfenix86

Top Posters In This Topic

Crean makes too much $$$ for Oklahoma.... besides, he probably doesn't even know where Oklahoma is.

Being from Indiana and a Indiana State Alum as well as ORU, I would think this is a win win for both Indiana and OU. Samson was on his way out and seemed burned out at OU. This will give him new life at IU. He will do OK and most likely recruit instate better than Mike Davis. Too many good players were leaving the state. With Samson's extra phone calls he can keep them in state! That said, I agree the only way we lose our coach in this deal is if they hire Turgeon or a coach out of the Valley.

We will have to wait and see but my guess is that Sutton would like to spend one more year at ORU to have a bigger season than this year. He however does not owe us anything. He has paid his dues and is a much better coach now and has our program in great shape. 8)

If Indiana couldn't even get Few or Calipari, there's no way in the world that either of those two would go to Oklahoma.

Crean was always mentioned with the job, but he's making around $1.5 million a year at Marquette. I guess Crean's wife is the daughter of the Marquette athletic director. That adds a twist into things as well doesn't it?

Guest EagleBackr
If Indiana couldn't even get Few or Calipari, there's no way in the world that either of those two would go to Oklahoma.

Crean was always mentioned with the job, but he's making around $1.5 million a year at Marquette. I guess Crean's wife is the daughter of the Marquette athletic director. That adds a twist into things as well doesn't it?

Typical Hoosier arrogance. YOUR JOB AIN'T WHAT IT USED TO BE!! And if there's one thing OU has, it's money. If Crean or anyone else has an asking price, OU can match it. The reason Few and Calipari won't come to OU has nothing to do with cash and everything to do with cache - Norman, OK just isn't cool enough. And neither, my Hoosier friend, was Bloomington, IN....

Guest Rob Marshall

Typical Hoosier arrogance. YOUR JOB AIN'T WHAT IT USED TO BE!! And if there's one thing OU has, it's money. If Crean or anyone else has an asking price, OU can match it. The reason Few and Calipari won't come to OU has nothing to do with cash and everything to do with cache - Norman, OK just isn't cool enough. And neither, my Hoosier friend, was Bloomington, IN....

RB, you don't expect me to stand on the sidelines when you're aimlessly poppin' off like this now do you? You actually had some funny takes in your lil' "top ten" list (you truly made me chuckle a couple of times). Indiana IS one (1) of the top five (5) BASKETBALL jobs in men's NCAA Division-I coaching ... along with (in no particular order) Kansas, Duke, North Carolina, and Kentucky. Like Indiana, NONE of those are football schools (UCLA is as much of a football school as basketball and frankly they are in LA where college sports mean little or nothing compared to all other options for the Hollywood types). The Indiana job IS still and will always be one of the top five BASKETBALL jobs in college coaching, candidly because it is THE job in arguably THE basketball state.

For reference, Kelvin wasn't even THE basketball coach in the (football) state of Oklahoma (Eddie Sutton's THE BB coach in our state), let alone the fact that OU is without question one (1) of THE top five (5) football schools. No wonder Kelvin wanted out; can you blame him?

As a Hoosier fan am I happy about the KS hiring in Bloomington, heck no. I've never been a Kelvin fan for a lot of good reasons. But you're WAY wrong if you think Indiana is not among the top five BASKETBALL jobs in college coaching.

Now RB, go get to work on those "expect a miracle" t-shirts for next season and we'll talk about this further over a beverage of choice next fall at a TU football game tailgate party. :wink:

Guest Rob Marshall
3. THE GUYS OU THINKS THEY CAN GET, BUT WILL NEVER COME: Few at Gonzaga, Calipari at Memphis, Romar at Washington.

2. THE GUYS WHO THINK THEY HAVE A CHANCE, BUT DON'T: Turgeon at Wichita State, Penders at Houston, Hinson at Missouri State, Altman at Creighton.

1. THE GUY WHO WILL PROBABLY GET THE GIG: Crean at Marquette.

Calipari might very well take this gig if offered enough BLING. Few's scared to take a job where he'd have to produce more than the guy he's replacing (note Indiana). Turgeon will be a player in Norman and Hinson could get the job if the NCAA stuff turns enough people off during the next four - six weeks and forces OU has to hire a squeaky clean, ethical guy to be the face of their program change the cheatin' image.

RB, you don't expect me to stand on the sidelines when you're aimlessly poppin' off like this now do you? You actually had some funny takes in your lil' "top ten" list (you truly made me chuckle a couple of times). Indiana IS one (1) of the top five (5) BASKETBALL jobs in men's NCAA Division-I coaching ... along with (in no particular order) Kansas, Duke, North Carolina, and Kentucky. Like Indiana, NONE of those are football schools (UCLA is as much of a football school as basketball and frankly they are in LA where college sports mean little or nothing compared to all other options for the Hollywood types). The Indiana job IS still and will always be one of the top five BASKETBALL jobs in college coaching, candidly because it is THE job in arguably THE basketball state.

For reference, Kelvin wasn't even THE basketball coach in the (football) state of Oklahoma (Eddie Sutton's THE BB coach in our state), let alone the fact that OU is without question one (1) of THE top five (5) football schools. No wonder Kelvin wanted out; can you blame him?

As a Hoosier fan am I happy about the KS hiring in Bloomington, heck no. I've never been a Kelvin fan for a lot of good reasons. But you're WAY wrong if you think Indiana is not among the top five BASKETBALL jobs in college coaching.

Now RB, go get to work on those "expect a miracle" t-shirts for next season and we'll talk about this further over a beverage of choice next fall at a TU football game tailgate party. :wink:

I am not so sure about IU being in the top 5 of basketball jobs. If anything Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina, and Kansas are in a group above all the other teams of top coaching jobs. Then in a second group I would put the Indiana job with teams like Arizona, UCLA, UConn, and maybe Michigan State.

UCLA would have been in the top group back in the 60's and 70's and maybe into the 80's, but time has taken its toll and they are no longer in the top group. This is what happened to the Indiana job after Bob Knight left they have slide downhill into the second group. Nothing wrong with being in the second group its still highly sought after.

Maybe if they come out with Hoosiers 2 they can make a comeback, but they have some work to do if they want to get back into the elite group.

Guest EagleBackr
But you're WAY wrong if you think Indiana is not among the top five BASKETBALL jobs in college coaching.

Timeless Truth #1 - THE ONLY PEOPLE IN THE WORLD WHO THINK THE INDIANA JOB IS ONE OF THE BEST IN THE COUNTRY ARE FROM INDIANA.

Timeless Truth #2 - YOU WOULDN'T BE CAUGHT DEAD IN AN "EXPECT A MIRACLE" T-SHIRT MUCH LESS PAY FOR ONE, AND NEITHER WOULD MOST PEOPLE.

Timeless Truth #3 - THE BEER AT TU FOOTBALL GAMES IS A LOT COLDER AND CHEAPER AT THAT BAR SOUTH OF THE STADIUM THAN FROM THE TENTS WEST OF THE STADIUM.

Timeless Truth #4 - MY INITIALS ARE "EB" NOT "RB" - LOOK ONE KEY TO THE LEFT ON YOUR KEYBOARD.

Guest Rob Marshall
I am not so sure about IU being in the top 5 of basketball jobs. If anything Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina, and Kansas are in a group above all the other teams of top coaching jobs. Then in a second group I would put the Indiana job with teams like Arizona, UCLA, UConn, and maybe Michigan State.

UCLA would have been in the top group back in the 60's and 70's and maybe into the 80's, but time has taken its toll and they are no longer in the top group. This is what happened to the Indiana job after Bob Knight left they have slide downhill into the second group. Nothing wrong with being in the second group its still highly sought after.

Maybe if they come out with Hoosiers 2 they can make a comeback, but they have some work to do if they want to get back into the elite group.

Again, UCLA is NOT a BASKETBALL school ... they have a solid basketball tradition, and so does the University of Houston. Unfortunately, UCLA basketball is a "lost" commodity in Tinseltown. Lakers, Clippers, and 1,001 other entertainment options come before Bruin basketball. Michigan State and Arizona are football schools in football conferences, even though their basketball teams have been tremendously successful, it's still more hip to see and be seen at the football stadium on those two respective campuses.

Okay, I'll give you UCONN as being an elite "basketball" school too. Jim Calhoun has done an amazing job in his twenty-years at UCONN and is well deserving of his "hall of fame" status (72% winning percentage and two national championships), but unfortunately during his twenty years of tremendous success, UCONN remains a WOMEN'S basketball school ... Gino Auriemma has won FIVE national championships and has an 84% winning percentage during this same twenty year period.

At Indiana, while other programs clearly experience success (soccer, swimming & diving, track & field, etc.), men's basketball is THE program as it is at Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, and North Carolina. With five (5) national championship banners and an unbelievable cult following, Hoosier basketball is THE college sport in the state of Indiana, even over Notre Dame football!

Guest Rob Marshall

Please turn down the volume, my ears feel like they are bleeding. :lol:

So are Texas, OU, and LSU football schools? All have won big, then not won big, then won big once again ... the constants are though, they represent THE college game in their respective states and whoever is the head football coach at that school is THE face of college sports for the state. Like the state of Texas is rich in football tradition, states like Kentucky, Kansas and Indiana are known for basketball. When you're the head men's basketball coach at Indiana University, you are THE king of arguably THE most passionate BASKETBALL state.

I would have definitely bought a novelty "got a miracle?" NCAA t-shirt and so would the 2500 other ORU fans who regularly attend games at the Mabee Center, and had ORU actually pulled off the miracle and defeated the #1 seed lots more people would have wanted one too. :idea:

Long-time lurker, first-time poster...

I'm stunned! The all-knowing Rob Marshall didn't see this one coming?!? How can that be? Rob knows everything (and if you don't hink he does, just ask him; even if you don't ask him, he'll tell you anyway).

Robbie boy, how did your almighty "sources" in Hoosier-land let you down? Or could it be that you're not as smart as you think?

Let me break it to you gently... the Indiana job stopped being a Top 5 job about five years ago, right after Bob Knight left. You ain't North Carolina, or Kentucky or UCLA or Duke or Texas or even Illinois (ooooo, that one hurts, don't it?). All of those schools have either won a National Championship or been to the Final Four since the the Lose-iers last went.

OU should be happy Sampson's gone and IU fans should be begging Mike Davis to come back!

I dunno if IU is still a top five job but that clownish warmup gear has to go!

I agree. I also don't think IU is the job that it once was, but it is still light years ahead of Texas and the Fighting Illini.

Guest EagleBackr
EE, are you seriously saying Texas and Illinois > Indiana? :roll:

Go back to lurking.

Have you ever SEEN Texas' facilities? Do you have any idea how much MONEY they have? Since the formation of the Big XII ten years ago, Texas has been on a SERIOUS roll. I'm not so sure that ANY coaching job in the Texas Athletic Department isn't among the best in the nation. Don't let your A&M-colored glasses blind you! (and by the way - Gig 'Em!)