ORU at Tulsa

Old Titan

Paul Mills and Co. have a legitimate chance for their first signature win in three seasons when the Golden Eagles visit crosstown rival Tulsa on Tuesday night in the Reynolds Center. 

The Golden Hurricane have struggled in the early going, grinding out a home opener last week with the same Houston Baptist bunch that ORU wore down on homecoming Friday, then getting throttled on Saturday night at Texas Arlington in a game where they trailed badly the entire way.

The TU message board fans are already circling the wagons, calling this year’s Mayor’s Cup match-up with ORU a “must win” and a de facto referendum on underachieving head coach Frank Haith. 

Tulsa’s biggest problems so far have been overall guard play, defending the three, and scoring points, three areas where ORU might actually have an advantage.

Still, you would expect TU to put forth a spirited effort in light of the stakes and the situation. I don’t think it would take a perfect game for either team to win this year’s Mayor’s Cup, but would it be too obvious to say that whichever team limits its mistakes and plays to its potential will be the one to hoist the trophy?

Huge game for Coach Paul Mills and ORU.....it's time to beat these clowns.....😎

• Like 1

TU always seems to play drastically different away from home. That and Haith's teams never start out the season strong.

I don't understand how TU recruits so poorly. There isn't a player on their roster I would want... and their best player by far over the past few years was an ORU guy. Really strange.

I think TU probably wins at home BUT if K.O. flips the switch and the team rebounds well ORU has a chance.

They have a bunch of transfers this year, which seems to be a strength or weakness of Haith’s, depending on your point of view.   Remains to be seen if they can jell a little more by Tuesday, and as the season moves forward.

I would expand Obanor’s importance Tuesday night to include Lazenby, who Mills insists on giving significant minutes.  

If Ty could somehow produce, it would be great. But so far, I’m stumped as to why he is getting minutes over Saunders and Jones (Lacis has been hurt, so that one makes sense at least).

Case in point:  Lazenby entered the game Friday night, and on the first pass he caught, launched an errant three from 4 feet behind the line that almost hit a cheerleader in the foot after missing everything on the court.  

He shows flashes of basketball IQ befitting his resume, but intersperses them with laughably silly plays that may have worked at Class B Glencoe, but have no place at the D1 level. 

His best efforts so far have involved driving the lane and kicking the ball to guys like Abmas and Kearns for corner threes. If he could do a little more of that and quit launching those flat, short three attempts, then perhaps his minutes might make more sense. 

Otherwise, I would rather see Saunders or Jones. Their respective upsides are infinitely higher. 

What about Jurgens, is he injured? Have not seen him on the court this season. Ty seems to get minutes because he can play the four, with DJ and Francis being injured. He could be a good glue guy type of player by just doing all the small stuff that does not always show up in the statsheet.  

The experience gained in Stillwater last week should help our Eagles tomorrow night, but road games are always tough.  Hopefully the veterans on the team, that have played for the Mayor's Cup, will provide the leadership we need tomorrow night. 

This would be a real nice win for the good guys and propel us on to even greater things this year!

The Opening Line has TU as -7.5.....the O/U is 151.....really tough to call....these Mayors Cup games are often very sloppy affairs and lower scoring....TheEagleman is tending towards teasing ORU and the under....I would get ORU +13.5 and the under 157.....I will think about it.....I really think the Good Guys can win this game but we have to get more than 5 points out of Obanor….if we play like we did in the first 2 games we have a decent shot to take the Cup home to 7777 South Lewis.....🤑

Quietest build-up to the Mayor's Cup I can remember in quite some time.  TU faithful aren't saying much, as they fear they have one of their weakest squads in years, while ORU fans remain cautiously optimistic but recognize that road wins are awfully hard to come by.

My concern is that ORU's defensive shortcomings might be just what the doctor ordered for TU's scoring woes.  But, can ORU overcome that weakness by simply outscoring the Golden Hurricane?

I hazard to even venture a guess; no clue what might unfold tonight.

If my paycheck depended on it, I suppose I would have to go with the home team, but by 8 points or more?  Flip a coin...

(I do like the over at 151, though - I think it will be a festival of free throws down the stretch).

ESPN lists this as an ESPN3 game, which is becoming quite a rarity in the new ESPN+ era.   But, coverage should be accessible to most.  

And, some $ must’ve come in on ORU, as the line is down to 6. That seems much more reasonable, but I would still take ORU and the points, as I believe ORU’s win probability is close to 50/50. 

ORU at TU:  Both 1-1, TU and ORU Will Meet In The Mayor's Cup on Tuesday

by Dekota Gregory, Tulsa World 11/12/19

Oral Roberts is not only the University of Tulsa’s toughest challenge so far, but also could be the best Golden Eagles squad TU coach Frank Haith has prepared for in his sixth season as the Golden Hurricane’s basketball coach.

ORU and TU will clash in the Mayor’s Cup game at 7 p.m. Tuesday at the Reynolds Center.

“I think ORU is really good,” Haith said. “I think they may have their best team since I’ve been here, watching them. We’re going to have to play very well against them, but we’re looking forward to the challenge.”

TU and ORU are 1-1, both with home wins over Houston Baptist. The Hurricane tipped off its season
with an 80-72 victory against the Huskies on Tuesday. ORU hosted Houston Baptist at the Mabee Center three days later and won 95-81.

Although the teams have the same record, TU will look to rebound from a loss to Texas-Arlington on Saturday, while ORU’s most recent game was its win against Houston Baptist. 

“We’re still trying to find ourselves,” Haith said.  “It’s early. That was the second game of the year."

“We’ve just got to regroup. I’m glad we play quickly because we don’t have to sit a while. That game was Saturday, and we have a chance to get back at it (Tuesday) night.”

TU will be the Golden Eagles’ second instate foe this season. ORU started its season with an 80-75 loss to Oklahoma State at Gallagher-Iba Arena.

As the Golden Eagles started their campaign just down the highway — with a win in between — ORU will be even closer to home when it faces the only other team in its city less than a week later.

“I think there’s more familiarity with the guys who are from Oklahoma, whether it be Ty Lazenby (from Glencoe) or R.J. Fuqua (from Tulsa) — guys who’ve done it, in regards to Emmanuel (Nzekwesi),” ORU coach Paul Mills said. “But you’re gonna treat every game like it’s the national championship game anyway.”

Both teams are still finding themselves after 2 games. Both are 1-1 with wins at home against HBU and losses on the road. 

TU plays 8-9 players and is averaging 37.9% from the field and 22.2% from 3-point. Their guards are Jones (6-6), Jackson (6-2), Rachal (6-5), Hill (6-0), Joiner (6-3) and Korita (6-5). Jones is their best outside shooter (so far) with a 57.1% 3-pt percentage (4/7). Their rebounds are spread around with Rachal leading at 7.0 rpg. They don’t play with a lot of size; Igbanu is 6-8 and Horne is 6-7 

They have several new players and it will take them time to mesh together and get used to each other. I hope that they wait a game to do that. 

As mentioned above.....it's now ORU +6 and the O/U is 152......this is such a tough game to call.....I am with OT and will probably put in a small play on ORU with the Over....I expect a close one......TheEagleman detests TU as you all know and even sent an encouraging email to Coach Mills just to let him know how I feel....LOL.....I am a homer so will call it ORU 82 Tulsa 79......bring the Mayors Cup back to 7777 So. Lewis for Chapel on Wednesday!!!....😎:hc_mills:😎

ORU’s loss is a tight one to what could be a decent Big 12 team. TU got thrashed by a decent mid major. 
This early in the season, ill take the team that’s got shooters. 
ORU wins this one going away, 87-70.

Important that the right guys are taking the right shots.... Some of the players should limit the amount of 3-pointers (or shots) they take.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ORUTerry said:

Important that the right guys are taking the right shots.... Some of the players Obanor and Lazenby should limit the amount of 3-pointers (or shots) they take.

Fixed ^^^^^ (lol)

Seriously, there are enough 3-point shooters on this team with Fuqua, Kearns, Abmas and Burns - would rather see those two bigger guys getting their shots in the paint.