ORU at Tulsa

Old Titan

TheEagleman is really liking some South Dakota State +15 at USC......GO JACKS!!! :sdsu:

I would bet on an ORU win. This TU team is struggling to find an identity right now. We've only got 1 point guard on the roster and he's a true freshman who's making freshman mistakes. We've got a 29% career shooter who for some reason has the green light to take 5 threes a game. The newcomer that the coaching staff hyped the most in the offseason is more athlete than basketball player at this point. Our best player right now is probably Darien Jackson, who's a great defender and great when he's driving to the basket, but he's also one of the worst shooters I've ever seen at this level. My guess would be a lower-scoring game with lots of turnovers and bricked 3s.

1 hour ago, ctt8410 said:

I would bet on an ORU win. This TU team is struggling to find an identity right now. We've only got 1 point guard on the roster and he's a true freshman who's making freshman mistakes. We've got a 29% career shooter who for some reason has the green light to take 5 threes a game. The newcomer that the coaching staff hyped the most in the offseason is more athlete than basketball player at this point. Our best player right now is probably Darien Jackson, who's a great defender and great when he's driving to the basket, but he's also one of the worst shooters I've ever seen at this level. My guess would be a lower-scoring game with lots of turnovers and bricked 3s.

If this is accurate, then I like ORU's chances - Golden Eagles have shown a propensity for converting turnovers and long rebounds into points in a hurry.

But, I'm guessing this lament may be the equivalent of the smiling crocodile, inviting us to ride on his back across the river.

A game this early in the season is hard to estimate. Both teams are trying to figure out lineups and new players. Not enough data points to make a definitive prognosis. ORU seems to be playing defense and grabbing rebounds better than last year - as well as playing more up tempo. TU seems to be physical/athletic with taller guards that can play defense and drive to the basket - but have had trouble making perimeter shots.

All of those factors could change tonight with both teams surprising us.  And TU is playing on their home court. 

This is clever, and the last post from me before I make the similar trek north on Harvard into enemy territory (lol)

What a ragged first half by both teams!  But, to shoot so poorly and to have KO and EMan riding the pine in foul trouble for most of the half, a four point deficit feels pretty good.  Need to come out strong. 

have i ever mentioned i'm not a fan of timeouts after made big buckets late in the game

On 11/11/2019 at 7:28 PM, theeagleman5 said:

...TheEagleman is tending towards teasing ORU and the under....I would get ORU +13.5 and the under 157.....I will think about it.....

Hope you went with your initial instinct

I don't see this team finishing in the top half of the Summit.

• No Weaver or Lacis means Summit guards will just shoot over the top.
  • Not being tough in the interior will hurt against USD, NDSU, (and others) will lead to being out rebounded.

... When you have 14 more FG attempts than your opponent you should have a pretty decent chance to win.

TheEagleman is not pleased.....😞

It was similar to games from last year, ORU up four with about ten minutes to go and then the bottom falls out. The announcer made a good comment at the end saying: OR U has not played that great against both OK state and Tulsa but yet still have given both teams a tough match. He then said that the Golden Eagles will be solid by Feb. This team does need to get DJ back. Until the end, they struggled with the three.

Only got to watch the last 7 minutes or so, and so far that's as much as I've gotten to watch, so it's hard for me to make any good observations. But we looked disjointed on offense, which is not what I expected based on what I have gained from observations others have posted. Attempts to penetrate, led to exasperated "Help me" passes, rather than finding a cutter or man on the perimeter. Movement around 3-point line was lacking. Maybe it was just smothering defense from TU? Sam Kearns seems to have a handle on off-the-ball movement, but didn't see anything from anyone else.

The effort and talent are there. Remains to be seen if the X's and O's are being taught at a high enough level to get back to the top of the Summit. Not too hopeful after the admittedly TINY sample I saw tonight.