ORU at Tulsa

Old Titan

After watching all three games(attending two), I can say this is not even an average shooting team.  Our inside game is pretty much non-existent, so we have to rely on our outside shooting.  Tonight it was32.8% FG, 28.6% 3-pt, 68.4% FT!!

On a side note, would anyone else like to see Mills show at least a little fire when coaching? Not saying he needs to act like his predecessor, but come on.  

Can someone tell me why Abmas was on the bench in the final minutes and Fuqua was on the floor? Abmas can score the ball, but Fuqua appeared scared to shoot 

*sigh*

• “It is what it is.”
  • “They are who we thought they were.”
  • ”You are what your record says you are.”
  • ”If ifs and buts were candy & nuts, we’d all have a merry Christmas.”
  • ”Good shooting hides a lot of flaws; bad shooting exposes them even more.”
  • “Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.”

I’m so frustrated with this coaching staff on so many levels right now, I better go to bed before I say something bad about Baylor.

Bring on Iowa....

1 hour ago, EagleFan21 said:

Can someone tell me why Abmas was on the bench in the final minutes and Fuqua was on the floor? Abmas can score the ball, but Fuqua appeared scared to shoot 

Tulsa had put a 6'5 guy on him, Koita, and he blocked Abmas's shot and harassed him into 3-15. Abmas can shoot but sometimes his shot selection is not the best, such as taking 25-27 foot jumpers.

An instant replay of the past few years. Oh well....at least ORU and the under was a solid win....need better shooting or this will be a tough season...67 points not enough....3705 attendence...Reynolds over half empty.....😳

SD State got hammered by USC but TheEagleman snuck out a win by 1 point with the Jacks and Over....a small consolation to ease the pain last night...😣

Has TheEagleman mentioned how much he hates it when ORU loses to TU?.....24 fouls to 16 for the home team....hummm....but we can't win shooting 32% from the field....only 12 turnovers  but combined shooting by Guards Abmas and Kearns was 6-25....a recipe for failure....bring on the Hawkeyes.....😬

Here is my take on the game. I was at the game and sat behind the ORU bench. In short the game came down to coaching. As a person, role model, recruiter, ethics i give Coach Mills an A++. He clearly has done a great job of recruiting better athletes and players. The team is playing with passion and heart! However on the flip side i would rate Coach Mills coaching performance at a D--...here is why. Even though we did not shoot well as a team we had a legit chance to win the game. With over 2 minutes left we were down by 8 points or so. Instead of pressing TU and fouling if necessary Coach Mills opted to let TU run 25 seconds off the clock on 3-4 occasions!! Absolutely unbelievable!! In all of my years of watching basketball i have never seen anything like it! Coaching like he did he gave the team a 0% chance of coming back. In addition he sat Max Abmas on the bench the last 4 minutes or so which further sealed our demise! Sure Max was not having a great night shooting but he is our best, most confident 3 point shooter! He actually wants to take the winning shot!  Also i am concerned that in the heat of the moment Coach Mills acts so calm when he should be challenging the Refs, firing up the players, etc! It appears that in today's culture too many Christian men have succumbed to political correctness instead of being the testosterone  filled warriors we were created to be.In my opinion if the coaching strategy doesnt drastically change quickly we have a more highly talented team that will get mediocre results!This doesnt have to be, dig deep, make the necessary changes, remember in the field of battle Christian men need to be warriors...after the battle we can wipe blood off our opponent!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Tru Blue said:

This doesnt have to be, dig deep, make the necessary changes, remember in the field of battle Christian men need to be warriors...after the battle we can wipe blood off our opponent!

trumpfaces.gif

• Haha 2

FG 3PT FT
ORU 22-67 10-35 13-19
TU 27-53 4-13 16-27

ORU had 14 more FG attempts but made 5 fewer FGs... that's the story. No amount of coaching adjustments can fix that.

• Upvote 1

It's extremely difficult to have 5 less FGs than your opponent when taking 15 more shots....and 10-35 from the 3 point line....that's just head scratching.....just get the ball into Obanor and E-Man, please.....😬

It may be time to look at shaking up our starting lineup.  I think there may be a couple other guards that can slide in and be more proactive on the offensive end.

I could write a book about how “better coaching” coulda/woulda/shoulda made the difference Tuesday night. 

But, would anyone read it?  Or agree with it?

Who knows.

And, would it matter to anyone in charge?  

Of course not. 

Just gotta ride it out like everyone else, and hope that at some point, the folks on the inside will agree with what appears so painfully obvious. 

COULDA/WOULDA/SHOULDA STARTING FIVE MOVING FORWARD:

• Fuqua
  • Kearns
  • Burns
  • Nzekwesi
  • Lufile

Bench (in order of appearance) - Obanor, Abmas, Saunders, Lacis, Jones

That’s plenty enough per game (10). The rest of ‘em can play against the D2’s coming up, and Chicago State. 

On 11/13/2019 at 3:00 PM, Old Titan said:

I could write a book about how “better coaching” coulda/woulda/shoulda made the difference Tuesday night. 

But, would anyone read it?  Or agree with it?

Who knows.

And, would it matter to anyone in charge?  

Of course not. 

Just gotta ride it out like everyone else, and hope that at some point, the folks on the inside will agree with what appears so painfully obvious. 

COULDA/WOULDA/SHOULDA STARTING FIVE MOVING FORWARD:

• Fuqua
  • Kearns
  • Burns
  • Nzekwesi
  • Lufile

Bench (in order of appearance) - Obanor, Abmas, Saunders, Lacis, Jones

That’s plenty enough per game (10). The rest of ‘em can play against the D2’s coming up, and Chicago State. 

Great OT  The only good news I saw in this last game was Obanor finally got back on track in some of the areas. Here is my starting five after this fiasco.

1, Nzekwesi         

2. Lufile   

3. Obanor         

4. Burns

5, Fuqua

Bench:  Abmas, Kearns, Jones, Lacis and Saunders         

I would love to see the 3 bigs in at one time. Allow Lufile to play the post, Obanor 3, and Nzekwesi at the 4.                                                                                        

9 hours ago, ORU GRAD said:

Great OT  The only good news I saw in this last game was Obanor finally got back on track in some of the areas. Here is my starting five after this fiasco.

1, Nzekwesi         

2. Lufile   

3. Obanor         

4. Burns

5, Fuqua

Bench:  Abmas, Kearns, Jones, Lacis and Saunders         

I would love to see the 3 bigs in at one time. Alow Lufile to play the post, Obanor 3, and Nzekwesi at the 4.                                                                                        

Obanor is pressing too much and getting into foul trouble in the process. He was incredibly effective coming off the bench last year. It might help his focus to enter the game at the first media timeout of each half, and ultimately afford him more total minutes by avoiding fouls in the early going of each stanza. 

Abmas is instant offense; to have him come off the bench with both guns blazing might be awesome, ala Vinnie “The Microwave” Johnson for the old “Bad Boy” Detroit Pistons. And Kearns has earned the starting nod; he’s been very steady so far this year, and his maturity is needed from the outset each half. 

• 2 months later...