2019 - 2020 Schedule

ORUalum

On 8/6/2019 at 8:21 AM, Old Titan said:

#119 - UT Arlington (should I put Haskell Indian Nations University in this slot instead?)

#107 - North Dakota State

#105 - University of Tulsa

#100 - Missouri State

Additional opponent rankings and thumbnails via CollegeSportsMadness.com:

#81 - Oklahoma State University

#66 - Brigham Young University

Have I mentioned lately how much I like what Mike Boynton is doing at OSU?  They return all five starters from last year, in addition to a couple of 4-star recruits and the fascinating Boone twins from Tulsa Memorial.

Bold Prediction:  breakout year for the Cowboys; they will be a force to be reckoned with in the Big 12 this season.

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

Grades aside, this is STILL the weakest schedule in ORU’s D1 history.

At the end of the season, I would be very surprised if any teams on this slate make the NCAA tournament, and there's maybe half a dozen that might participate in any of the other post-season invitationals.

There have been many years where ORU played several teams that made The Big Dance.  Hard to fathom anything similar from this pool of candidates.

In the defense of Mills, I don't believe the loss of  UT Arlington was his fault and they most likely could not get anyone else who had an opening in the schedule. A game for the fans is better than no game at all and what will it matter if ORU finishes the conference and makes an Nit bid or maybe even goes to the dance? I know that may be wishful thinking but you never know. I like our returning players and the additions to the team plus the 6' 8"  commitment for next year. Our recruiting has been better the past couple of years. I look for Weaver to have a breakout year along with the Euro's. The schedule is what it is!  Image result for emojiTry smiling and taste the lemonade!

The pre-season O/U on ORU wins was set last month at 14.5...but that was when UTA was on the schedule....now replaced with Haskell....TheEagleman will revise that number to 15.5......I will revisit this after the pre-season matchup at Central Arkansas and prior to the regular season opener at OSU....😙

22 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

The pre-season O/U on ORU wins was set last month at 14.5...but that was when UTA was on the schedule....now replaced with Haskell....TheEagleman will revise that number to 15.5......I will revisit this after the pre-season matchup at Central Arkansas and prior to the regular season opener at OSU....😙

I'll take the "under" on that 15.5 number:  Each week in conference play looks like a split at best, and even with the NAIA games, I still can't see a winning record in non-con play. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Looks like the Golen Eagles have a closed scrimmage set up for Oct. 19th with UMKC in Tulsa. They will get a shot against former player Javen White. It was listed on an article called not so secret college basketball scrimmages. It also had the UCA game listed as another scrimmage game.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ORUalum said:

Hmmm...4:30pm on Sunday, October 27th?

Afternoon start puts a fan back in Tulsa at a decent hour, even after dinner at Landry's or AJ's (Google them).

Not a bad roadie!

5 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Afternoon start puts a fan back in Tulsa at a decent hour, even after dinner at Landry's or AJ's (Google them).

Not a bad roadie!

I am planning on going

16 minutes ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

I am planning on going

5 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Not a bad roadie!

Maybe a 15 passenger van for a road trip ? I would go!

• 2 weeks later...

Doesn't seem all that long ago that ORU used to beat a Power 5 school just about  every year......it's been quite some time...probably close to a decade....I guess TheEagleman is showing his age....😬

2 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

Doesn't seem all that long ago that ORU used to beat a Power 5 school just about  every year......it's been quite some time...probably close to a decade....I guess TheEagleman is showing his age....😬

Since you "asked" - a little summertime research, from earlier in this thread:

--

ORU is in the midst of a 19-game losing streak vs. "Power-5" opponents in regular season games, dating back to 2011.  ("Power-5" defined as Big XII, Pac XII, Big Ten, ACC, and Southeastern Conference schools)

ORU's last win over a Power-5 team was December 22, 2011 vs. Texas Tech in the Mabee Center, 72-56.

That was also the last time ORU hosted a Power-5 team.  The 19-game regular season losing streak features 18 true road games and one neutral site game (vs. Ole Miss in the Paradise Jam in 2016).

Dating back to ORU's upset of 3rd-ranked Kansas in Lawrence on November 15, 2006, ORU has six regular season wins vs. Power-5 schools:

• 11/15/06     at Kansas (78-71)
  • 12/20/07     vs. Oklahoma State (74-59) All-College Classic, Oklahoma City
  • 11/18/19     at Stanford (83-81)
  • 12/9/09       Missouri (60-59) Mabee Center
  • 11/27/10     at Utah (78-70)
  • 12/22/11     Texas Tech (72-56) Mabee Center

Since 06-07, ORU has faced two or fewer Power-5 teams in a regular season only four times, but twice in the two most-recent campaigns (counting this season)

• One Power-5 Opponent:  once (last season)
  • Two Power-5 Opponents:  3 times (this season, plus two others)
  • Three Power-5 Opponents:  6 times
  • Four Power-5 Opponents:  twice
  • Five Power-5 Opponents:  twice

NOTE:  not included in this exercise are teams from powerful non-Power 5 conferences such as the Big East, American Athletic, Missouri Valley, A-10, etc., partly because the W-L record vs. TU would tend to skew things a bit both positively and negatively, and simply because, win or lose, those games just don't carry the same significance. 

After all, how many of you would have recalled ORU beating Xavier by twenty in Cincinnati back in 2011 if I hadn't just mentioned it now?

I would. However I don't remember who was the big factor in that game? Watched  on TV. Great takeover of the game by ORU. Cincinnati had just been on a big win streak. That was a great win. OH, It was Steven Roundtree right along with Dominique Morrison?

Roster

Number Name Position Height Weight Year Hometown
2 D.J. Jackson Guard 5–11 175 Freshman Kansas City, Missouri
3 Robert Aery Guard 6–0 185 Senior Tulsa, Oklahoma
4 Roderick Pearson, Jr. Guard 6–2 195 Senior Kansas City, Missouri
10 Tyrone Nance Forward 6–5 211 Junior Los Angeles, CA
11 Shawn Glover Guard/Forward 6–7 195 Junior Dallas, TX
12 Ken Holdman Guard 6–0 180 Senior Tulsa, Oklahoma
13 Warren Niles Guard 6–5 195 Junior Cincinnati, Ohio
14 Jake Lliteras Guard 6–5 195 Freshman Hillsborough, North Carolina
21 Kris Obaseki Forward 6–9 180 Freshman Houston, TX
22 Steven Roundtree Forward 6–8 190 Sophomore Jacksonville, Florida
23 P.J. Purnell Guard 6–2 175 Freshman Silver Spring, Maryland
25 Trey Cox Guard 6–1 190 Freshman Kansas City, Missouri
32 Damen Bell-Holter Forward/Center 6–9 245 Junior Hydaburg, Alaska
35 Mikey Manghum Guard 6–2 185 Junior Derby, England
45 Dominique Morrison Forward 6–6 210 Senior Kansas City, Missouri
54 Michael Craion Forward 6–5 215 Senior Kansas City, Missouri

My remembrance of the Xavier game is that the Musketeers had either major injuries or suspensions that day, and were in no way at full strength.  As a result, I was not terribly surprised that we won, but didn’t expect the margin of victory. 

14 minutes ago, TrueBlue82 said:

My remembrance of the Xavier game is that the Musketeers had either major injuries or suspensions that day, and were in no way at full strength.  As a result, I was not terribly surprised that we won, but didn’t expect the margin of victory. 

I think this was immediately after that Xavier/Cincinnati fight that resulted in multiple suspensions.

It was after the X/UC game and there were suspensions.  It was a Sunday game at X in Cincy.  Earlier in the year I had made the trek to Morgantown, West Virginia to watch us lose in a very close game to WVU.  Then I made the trip to Cincy to watch us take down Xavier.  BTW, X was nationally ranked at the time.  Loved being able to watch those OOC games in person.  The X game was sandwiched between Gonzaga a few days earlier in Spokane, Washington and Texas Tech in Mabee a few days later.  What a schedule!

• Upvote 1