2019 - 2020 Schedule

ORUalum

I heard something today re: the UTA game:  the Mavs double-booked the 12/7 date for a home game with UC Santa Barbara, either inadvertently, or "vertently", or whatever (lol).

UTA reportedly paid their way out of the snafu with ORU, so not a complete loss, I suppose.  Maybe that money could be applied toward buying a home game?  (Doubtful it was that much.)

Remains to be seen whether another game of some sort will/can be added at this stage during that 11-day gap in the heart of the non-conference schedule.

I  just want more home games to attend this fall! (Cue the tears, get out the Kleenex...)

• Upvote 1

Coach Mills can just call up his old buddy Coach Drew and get a game with Baylor for that open slot.  That way ORU still has a game in the heart of Texas for recruiting purposes.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jmg1984 said:

Cbu again??

Would any D1 school still have an open date this close to November?

2 hours ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

Would any D1 school still have an open date this close to November?

I guess we’ll find out!

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2019 at 12:49 PM, ORU GRAD said:

Yes, and we had about 5-8 k at the Mabee Center also. But, if I remember correctly, we did not win the tournament with 27 winning season record. and go to the dance. How does that happen? The last few years of Sutton were in a straight decline with average or below recruiting and decline in attendance. We are now at at an all time low of 2 k average in attendance. This goes to show with talent and wins, the atmosphere has an opportunity to change. I believe we are getting much better talent now in our recruiting and hope the Mabee Center will once again have better attendance. The women have a School day for the locals and maybe the men need to do the same? Just a thought. Where is Mike when we need him? 

ORU hasn't averaged 2,000 (actual butts in the seats) since the Minyard days.

Actual season tickets sold is currently under 500. Actual butts in the seats is under 1,000 for most games, during the past few seasons.

But, they did get rid of their PA Announcer of nearly 30 years, a couple of years back. I'd wager the dividends of a decision like that will start paying off soon! I mean, when the engine has blown a gasket, the tires are flat, and the transmission is locked up, putting a new pin stripe down the side of your ride is a wise move. 

• Like 2

A blast from the past!....The "Voice" of Reason....Ouch....The truth hurts!!!....😬

• 2 weeks later...

...and the “Twenty Wins or Bust Tour” continues:

Obviously, this is to fill the gap caused by the UTA mix-up. Still, a pitiful match-up against yet another NAIA team.  I thought there were limits to how many you could play in one season?

Reminds me a little bit of former ORU baseball coach Sunny Galloway adding non-D1 games as late as May if it looked like it might help ORU reach the 40-win mark in the regular season.

• Like 1

If the "20 wins or bust" mantra was a true goal, the schedule would include more than 29 games.  If we're being cynical, the "let's break the three-year streak of 20 or more losses" is much more accurate.

Other than padding the win column, I don't like this game at all.  A third non-D1 opponent (I agree with OT, I thought the limit was two) played on a SUNDAY afternoon (doesn't play well with the ORU faithful) in December (competing with the final playoff push for the NFL) on the day before ORU Finals week (so much for student involvement).

4 by my count...waiver from the NCAA?

• Rogers St
  • Southwestern Christian
  • Haskell
  • UCO

biggest question to me....will ORU ever publish a roster for the 2019-20 season????

31 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

4 by my count...waiver from the NCAA?

• Rogers St
  • Southwestern Christian
  • Haskell
  • UCO

biggest question to me....will ORU ever publish a roster for the 2019-20 season????

I guess playing 4 non-D1 opponents allows for the opportunity to work through offensive sets and different situations... But the danger is it won't prepare you for conference season.

10 hours ago, TrueBlue82 said:

If the "20 wins or bust" mantra was a true goal, the schedule would include more than 29 games.  If we're being cynical, the "let's break the three-year streak of 20 or more losses" is much more accurate.

One of the rare occasions where I must disagree with TB82, particularly when it comes to math.

Scheduling more non-conference games against (presumably) D1 opponents, and (presumably) ones who don’t want to visit the Mabee Center, doesn’t help you win 20 games.  You’re likely just scheduling additional losses.

Scheduling as many games as possible against (presumably) inferior teams, and playing ALL of them at home where (presumably) you have an advantage, is what cooks the books and pads the win column.

“Upon further review...”

I think I see now where TB82 and I got our signals crossed:  midway through this thread, I was accusing the current ORU staff of trying to avoid another 20-loss season by scheduling fewer non-con games. 

Then, with the addition of yet another NAIA home game, I added the possibility that the current regime is additionally trying to pad their way to a 20-win season.

Who knows whether any of these conspiracy theories holds water, but there’s one thing upon which I think we can all agree:  this is the weakest schedule EVER in ORU’s D1 history.

Yes the home schedule is very weak (case for worst of all time) but they still play some good teams. Iowa and Creighton should be NCAA tournament teams and BYU, Wichita State, and OSU are most likely Nit teams. Add Tulsa and Missouri State, who will have winning seasons, and the schedule is a C for you scoring at home.

Found more info on scheduling of non-D1 opponents:

The base case is a 27 game schedule with a maximum of two non-D1 opponents.

Then, if a team is participating in a "multi-team event (MTE) tournament", D1 teams are allowed to play up to four games in the MTE - for a total of 31 games.

If a team is not playing in an MTE (which ORU is not this season), they can add two games to the 27 game base case schedule for a total of 29 - and these two additional games are not required to be against D1 opponents.  So, in this case, a schedule can have up to four non-D1 opponents (exactly how ORU has built the schedule this season).  One article mentioned that more and more low and mid-major teams are using this four non-d1 opponent approach to fill out a home schedule.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Yes the home schedule is very weak (case for worst of all time) but they still play some good teams. Iowa and Creighton should be NCAA tournament teams and BYU, Wichita State, and OSU are most likely Nit teams. Add Tulsa and Missouri State, who will have winning seasons, and the schedule is a C for you scoring at home.

Grades aside, this is STILL the weakest schedule in ORU’s D1 history.

At the end of the season, I would be very surprised if any teams on this slate make the NCAA tournament, and there's maybe half a dozen that might participate in any of the other post-season invitationals.

There have been many years where ORU played several teams that made The Big Dance.  Hard to fathom anything similar from this pool of candidates.