2019 - 2020 Schedule

ORUalum

Upon further review...

ORU is in the midst of a 19-game losing streak vs. "Power-5" opponents in regular season games, dating back to 2011.  ("Power-5" is defined as schools in the Big XII, Pac XII, Big Ten, ACC, and Southeastern conferences)

ORU's last win over a Power-5 team was December 22, 2011 vs. Texas Tech in the Mabee Center, 72-56.

That was also the last time ORU hosted a Power-5 team.  The 19-game regular season losing streak features 18 true road games and one neutral site game (vs. Ole Miss in the Paradise Jam in 2016).

Dating back to ORU's upset of 3rd-ranked Kansas in Lawrence on November 15, 2006, ORU has six regular season wins vs. Power-5 schools:

• 11/15/06     at Kansas (78-71)
  • 12/20/07     vs. Oklahoma State (74-59) All-College Classic, Oklahoma City
  • 11/18/19     at Stanford (83-81)
  • 12/9/09       Missouri (60-59) Mabee Center
  • 11/27/10     at Utah (78-70)
  • 12/22/11     Texas Tech (72-56) Mabee Center

Since 06-07, ORU has faced two or fewer Power-5 teams in a regular season only four times, but twice in the two most-recent campaigns (counting this next season)

• 1 Power-5 Opponent:  once (last season)
  • 2 Power-5 Opponents:  3 seasons (this coming season, plus two others)
  • 3 Power-5 Opponents:  6 seasons
  • 4 Power-5 Opponents:  twice
  • 5 Power-5 Opponents:  twice

NOTE:  not included in this exercise are teams from powerful non-Power 5 conferences such as the Big East, American Athletic, Missouri Valley, A-10, etc., partly because the W-L record vs. TU would tend to skew things a bit both positively and negatively, and simply because, win or lose, those games just don't carry the same significance. 

After all, how many of you would have recalled ORU beating Xavier by twenty in Cincinnati back in 2011 if I hadn't just mentioned it now?

All this being said--and everyone has made some excellent points--I'm a diehard fan who will still go to all of the home games, even if some are more frustrating to watch than others. I enjoy being with friends, making comments about the game, announcer, etc., and just being in the Mabee Center (where I've experienced so many thrilling moments going back to 1973). I have to believe that good times will return. We've been in valleys before; the mountaintop has to be coming up eventually, right? Right??? Please! 🙂 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

image.png.bb407a362cd9d3fc19cb52a7a10cbba7.pngspacer.png

Tale of two seasons:  5-of-7 on the road in the first "half"; 6-of-9 at home in the second "half".

And, to make that first half even tougher, one of the only two home games is consensus preseason favorite NDSU on January 9th.

Anything around .500 for January would be pretty impressive; anything under .500 for February would be massively disappointing.

I just can't foresee the 12-4 or 11-5 record I've seen bandied about for ORU this year, and for what it typically takes to be even a 3 or 4 seed, much less 1 or 2.

I'm thinking somewhere around .500 again, pretty much along home-and-away lines, with 10-6 as the best-case scenario.

Never easy to win on the road in conference play especially against those Dakota teams. That is what it will take for ORU to have a breakout year. The best case would be 10-6 and hopefully they catch 🔥 at tournament time as ndsu did last year. 

38 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Never easy to win on the road in conference play especially against those Dakota teams. That is what it will take for ORU to have a breakout year. The best case would be 10-6 and hopefully they catch 🔥 at tournament time as ndsu did last year. 

I agree!  Maybe 7 wins in non-conference. 17 total. I would like to see this happen and 2 wins in tournament for 19 win year. I may be drinking the kool- aid!Image result for kool aid man

I will be very surprised if the final regular season record is over .500, even counting the non-D1 games.

Put me down for 14-15 or 13-16.  16 wins or better would be a real surprise.  

As for Sioux Falls?  Luck of the draw.

Bottom line:  no post season again; the “highlight” may be the dubious feat of avoiding a fourth straight 20-loss season while only increasing the D1 win total by a couple of games. #smh

On 7/22/2019 at 8:26 AM, ORU82 said:

ORUInsider, could you please explain?

Which high level administrator arrived at around the time that decline started......?!

2 minutes ago, ORUInsider said:

Which high level administrator arrived at around the time that decline started......?!

😆

I don’t know if I would describe Sean Sutton as “high level” 

• Haha 3

ORUInsider, I guess I must be pretty stupid because I still do not get what you are trying to say.  Perhaps you could explain it like you were telling it to a bunch of six year olds.  

I'm guessing he is referencing Billy Wilson.  I think when Wilson took over, one of his mandates from Green was a balanced budget that woud include some belt tightening to athletics.  I remember a web stream Q&A they did for alumni where Wilson stated they were going to need alums to step up and increase their support of athletics. That seems to be my memory...ORUinsider feel free to correct me if I'm off.

2 hours ago, ORUalum said:

I'm guessing he is referencing Billy Wilson.  I think when Wilson took over, one of his mandates from Green was a balanced budget that woud include some belt tightening to athletics.  I remember a web stream Q&A they did for alumni where Wilson stated they were going to need alums to step up and increase their support of athletics. That seems to be my memory...ORUinsider feel free to correct me if I'm off.

there it is GIF

This must be an all time thread drift

drift drifting GIF

Back to the original subject - It’s still too early for projections.

Players can still get hurt, become ineligible, or any number of possibilities before early November BUT I am cautiously optimistic about the upcoming season. 

• Upvote 1

Did you see that Mid-Major Madness chose our men to finish 2nd in the Summit this year?

It was in the e-mail that the Golden Eagle Club sent out today:

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Foruathletics.imgu
Men’s Basketball has already been picked second in the Summit League by Mid-Major Madness!

Don’t miss the action this year in the Mabee Center!

<- Click the image for a teaser of what to expect this season!