Jump to content
ORUalum

2019 - 2020 Schedule

Recommended Posts

ORUalum

at Iowa Dec 15

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ORUalum

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Old Titan

That’s great news, but kind of a strange little announcement for a national guy like Rothstein to be making; ORU is not usually the subject of this type of scheduling nugget.

Makes me wonder if he got the info from the ORU side; not sure that OSU would make any bigger deal out of this match-up than they would another low-major coming to Stillwater.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ORUalum

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ORU82

So at least for now our OOC schedule should include Missouri State, Tulsa, Iowa and Oklahoma State.  Not bad.  Also, Chicago State.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TrueBlue82

This also means that Missouri State will be ORU’s opponent for Homecoming weekend, the best such matchup in some time. 

As a reminder, we do have a road trip to Chicago State in 19/20 as a completion of the WAC/Summit challenge to add to our OOC list. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Old Titan

That really does look like the start of an attractive non-conference schedule.

Would imagine the MSU game would be a “pick-em”.

No telling what the Chicago State line would be; they never play non-conference home games!  Terrible gym and bad refs make it a harder place to play than one might think.

The OSU, TU and Iowa games will no doubt be 15-to-20 point underdog situations. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ORUalum

Cal Bears.....Nov 18

 

image.png.b25b8ec11d9a3123aaf02c23b6432038.png

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ORUalum

Maybe not.....Cal updates their schedule....

 

image.png.7155ef322a9bab7fad615c286d743e8b.png

Duke, along with Texas, Georgetown, and Cal will be the participating teams for the 2019 2K Classic.

so is ORU participating in the regional round games.....game at Texas or Duke instead of Cal????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
titansforever

It looks like MO State is out (November 8th) and Houston Baptist is in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Keenan Henderson

Nice, Oru beat them twice in the Southland conference.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
theeagleman5

Houston Baptist is a good matchup....but Is the Missouri State game going to be played on another date?  ORU always has them on the schedule....😕

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ORUalum
On 6/25/2019 at 1:20 PM, titansforever said:

It looks like MO State is out (November 8th) and Houston Baptist is in.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
titansforever

Good find!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Old Titan

...which means ORU might actually be a slight favorite vs. HBU in place of MSU, in what is still a homecoming game on Nov. 8th. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TrueBlue82
On 6/21/2019 at 3:03 PM, ORUalum said:

Duke along with Texas, Georgetown, and Cal will be the participating teams for the 2019 2K Classic.

so is ORU participating in the regional round games.....game at Texas or Duke instead of Cal????

The 2019 2K Classic field has been completed, and ORU is not included in it.  At this point, ORU has not been named as a participant in any of the sanctioned tournaments, and most positions have been filled by this point in the summer.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ORUalum

here's a good link...still lots of slots open 

for example: Kentucky, Minnesota, St Mary's, and Rutgers have not announced the field of teams for the tournaments they are hosting.

https://www.bloggingthebracket.com/2018/10/24/18020280/2019-20-college-basketball-early-season-tournaments-events-mte-neutral-site-showcases-thanksgiving

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GoldenEagleFan

I like the fact it looks like we are not playing in a tournament. I feel like those events are good for high major teams but don’t do all that much for mids and lows.  Not sure the money amount it would bring in for the program, but sure doesn’t help the win total!  I’m all for playing more home-and-home series to get as many games in Mabee Center as possible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Old Titan
2 hours ago, ORUalum said:

here's a good link...still lots of slots open 

for example: Kentucky, Minnesota, St Mary's, and Rutgers have not announced the field of teams for the tournaments they are hosting.

https://www.bloggingthebracket.com/2018/10/24/18020280/2019-20-college-basketball-early-season-tournaments-events-mte-neutral-site-showcases-thanksgiving

 

TU is among a handful of Power 5 +1 (the AAC) schools not yet committed to a tournament, either. 

It's too bad the two city schools can't host a tournament anymore that would guarantee a crowd in Tulsa.

Back in the day, ORU and TU hosted the Oil Capital Classic at the Mabee Center, which featured teams such as Georgia with Dominique "The Human Highlight Reel" Wilkens, and defending national champion North Carolina with Sam Perkins, Brad Daughtery, and a talented young sophomore named Michael Jordan:

https://tulsahurricane.com/news/2005/1/24/Tulsa_Defeats_North_Carolina_in_1982_Oil_Capital_Classic.aspx

Tulsa is, however, hosting a one-night doubleheader with Oklahoma State at the BOK, playing Colorado State and Minnesota respectively.

It's a shame ORU couldn't muster something similar at the BOK, playing a somewhat-local Big XII or SEC school that recruits this area (Texas, Texas A&M, K-State, Missouri, etc.), with OU or Arkansas playing another mid-to-low major from within driving range (Wichita State, Missouri State, Louisiana Tech, etc.)  Virtually guaranteed wins for the two big schools, with good potential for fan representation from all four schools...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dr. Cornelius
3 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Tulsa is, however, hosting a one-night doubleheader with Oklahoma State at the BOK, playing Colorado State and Minnesota respectively.

Honestly, besides diehard college hoop fans (and even then that may be a stretch) who is going to be excited to see Minnesota or Colorado St.?

3 hours ago, Old Titan said:

It's a shame ORU couldn't muster something similar at the BOK, playing a somewhat-local Big XII or SEC school that recruits this area (Texas, Texas A&M, K-State, Missouri, etc.), with OU or Arkansas playing another mid-to-low major from within driving range (Wichita State, Missouri State, Louisiana Tech, etc.)  Virtually guaranteed wins for the two big schools, with good potential for fan representation from all four schools...

This is a MUCH better idea. I have to think the Tulsa Sports Commission attempted this first...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Old Titan

I wonder what the hold-up is on the conference office announcing the league schedule?  It is usually out by now.

Probably those prima donnas from UND holding things up with their hockey home dates!  LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jmg1984
10 hours ago, Old Titan said:

TU is among a handful of Power 5 +1 (the AAC) schools not yet committed to a tournament, either. 

It's too bad the two city schools can't host a tournament anymore that would guarantee a crowd in Tulsa.

Back in the day, ORU and TU hosted the Oil Capital Classic at the Mabee Center, which featured teams such as Georgia with Dominique "The Human Highlight Reel" Wilkens, and defending national champion North Carolina with Sam Perkins, Brad Daughtery, and a talented young sophomore named Michael Jordan:

https://tulsahurricane.com/news/2005/1/24/Tulsa_Defeats_North_Carolina_in_1982_Oil_Capital_Classic.aspx

Tulsa is, however, hosting a one-night doubleheader with Oklahoma State at the BOK, playing Colorado State and Minnesota respectively.

It's a shame ORU couldn't muster something similar at the BOK, playing a somewhat-local Big XII or SEC school that recruits this area (Texas, Texas A&M, K-State, Missouri, etc.), with OU or Arkansas playing another mid-to-low major from within driving range (Wichita State, Missouri State, Louisiana Tech, etc.)  Virtually guaranteed wins for the two big schools, with good potential for fan representation from all four schools...

 

I was at that game before going home for winter break only time i saw m j smooth he was.perkins was from our area albany n y tks for the memory

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Old Titan

I'm being told it may be as late as August 1st before the league office releases the conference schedule; that's as late in the year as I ever remember them announcing it.

If last year is any indication, ORU's non-conference schedule may be announced before the conference games are; that's never happened before in the Mid-Con/Southland/Summit era.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Old Titan

THE RACE TO ANNOUNCE IS ON...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ORU82

So what, they wait until after the close of the news cycle on Friday night to roll out the schedule so that the media does not pick it up and they do not get instant blow-back?  Jk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...