2017-18 (Roster, Schedule, etc)

ORUalum

21 minutes ago, ORU82 said:

Not to hit a touchy subject but is Spencer Sutton gone?  I only ask because he was not included in the list above.  Also did he have a scholarship or was he an invited walk on?  I can't remember.

He was a walk on. I would assume he's not going to stick around, but he keeps popping up in team event pictures that ORUMBB is posting. Maybe he's going to wait until his dad or uncle gets a job lined up for the 2018-2019 season to transfer? 

He is a walk on and is still part of the squad. To his credit, he is still attending events with the team per various social media (Twitter, InstaGram) outlets.

Spencer Sutton was a walk on because his tuition is cheap as the child of an employee...but maybe that changes now....not sure how that works with his dad fired....hard to believe he will be back.....That's not a horrible roster above.....I am sure that VOICE will be predicting a 20 win season in the fall.....:blink:

Even in a rebuilding year with a new coach this roster should win more than 6 D1 games.

21 hours ago, ORUTerry said:

He is a walk on and is still part of the squad. To his credit, he is still attending events with the team per various social media (Twitter, InstaGram) outlets.

A friend of the Sutton family told me that Spencer actually wants to stay, and has been told by BW that he CAN stay, but who knows if that means that he now gets a scholly of some sort, or if the employee ride still applies, or what.

There's simply no telling what the roster may look like when the season opens.

Nice that the kid can stay....but just asking....is Spencer Sutton any good? :|

2 minutes ago, ORUTerry said:

http://missouristatebears.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=309

He's 6'3" and can shoot. Had hip surgery and sat out a year. 

Earned MVC All-Freshman Team honors after hitting 72 3-pointers, the most ever by a Missouri State freshman and tied for third-best ever by a freshman player in the MVC ... Scored a 3-pointer in 27-of-33 games as a true freshman, including 20 games with multiple 3-pointers

Austin Ruder is graduating this spring and will be eligible immediately as a 5th year grad transfer. His best seasdon was as a freshman, but he never regained his shooting proficiency after that first season, and he too was relegated to a deep reserve role this past season (13 mpg, 9th highest).-
Ruder's career stats-
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...8/austin-ruder 

https://bradleyfans.com/vb/showthread.php?t=26939

Austin Ruder announces transfer to Oral Roberts

“My freshman year we ran a lot of sets that led to me getting a lot more open shots,” said Ruder. “My sophomore year we started running more of an isolation-focused style of basketball that led to bad shots and a more selfish style of play. Everything was based on the shots you could create for yourself instead of the shots you could create for your teammates.

“When you’re a mid-major it’s hard to win consistently playing that style of basketball. The injuries didn’t help, obviously, but the style of play change was a bigger factor. I turned into the last resort option if someone else by accident couldn’t get a shot off. I think Oral Roberts will help get me some open looks, and I think it’ll lead to everyone on the team getting open looks.”

The addition of Austin Ruder couldn’t come at a better time for Perry and the Eagles.

Oral Roberts not only gets a student-athlete that has been an All-Valley Scholar-Athlete selection, but a player that has good basketball left in his tank. Ruder is a career 36% 3-point shooters and will instantly become one of the best catch-and-shoot players in the league. His ability to extend defenses will make life easier on returning All-Summit pick Albert Owens.

• Owens (SR)
  • Ruder (SR - TR)
  • J. Harris (JR)
  • Ka'Juan (KJ) Malveau. (JR)
  • White (RS - SO)
  • Eman (RS - SO)
  • Miller (RS - SO)
  • Mcdaniel (SO)
  • Manek (RS- FR)
  • Sutton (RS - FR) - walk on
  • Emir Ahmedic (FR)
  • RJ Fuqua (FR)

a couple 6'3" - 6'5" combo guards to round out the roster?

It's going to be weird, but assuming Spencer can earn some semi-regular playing time, Sean and uncle Scott are going to want to be there to support him, and rightfully so.  I hope they (Scott & Sean) can get past what's happened and feel at home in the gold seats.  That seems hard to imagine, but would they miss Spencer's games?  Both scenarios seem strangely uncomfortable.  I look forward to the day when the awkwardness is behind us.  How about honoring Scott with "Scott Sutton Court" at the Mabee Center?  Would that ever happen?   Maybe not, but it would be a nice gesture and go a long way towards burying the hatchet...for all Scott has done for the program, I would support it.

Bring Back the Flame!

Rob

• Upvote 2