2017-18 (Roster, Schedule, etc)

ORUalum

10 days until the Spring signing period begins.  it will be interesting to see how many ORU signs and if there will be more departures from the current roster.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Owens (SR)
  • Martin
  • J. Harris (JR)
  • Ka'Juan (KJ) Malveau. (JR)
  • White (RS - SO)
  • Eman (RS - SO)
  • Miller (RS - SO)
  • Mcdaniel (SO)
  • Manek (RS- FR)
  • RJ Smith (RS- FR)
  • Emir Ahmedic (FR)
  • Jamichael Morgan
  • RJ Fuqua (FR)

really young team.....i'm guessing the new coach will use the 2 scholarships to go get a couple JUCO guards.

At this juncture, I'd say go with the roster above unless you can find a real difference maker, this late. Maybe a grad transfer, that will only play/count against a scholarship next year.

I agree Voice, unless there is a really good "find" out there, don't use the available scholarships just to use them.  If there is a really good JUCO or Grad available, go for them.  Otherwise, hold the scholarships to what we have already.  This year is going to be a rebuild job anyhow.

• Upvote 1

Correct.

And, we are pretty deep/talented in the post. IF a couple of the young guards pan out, this actually could be a decent year. We really need Fuqua, Malveau, Dez, and one other to step up.

What about RJ Smith and Jontray Harris? These are 6'4+ guards. Where are they in the mix?Forward Emir Ahmedic, who has committed to Oral Roberts, is from Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina, and has been at Southwest Christian for a year. Do we know if Ahmedic and KJ are coming?

From what I saw in the pre-season RJ Smith is a tough rebounding guard who could really be a force in the Summit.

At the risk of offending a few, whoever the staff is next year please do not go with a 4 guard line up.  We have some really nice "bigs" so utilize them better than we have in the past.

It's weird how things work out:  if he had stayed, the last thing this guy would have had to worry about next year is playing time:

I am a little surprised that Crawford landed in D-2. His decision to transfer from ORU is a real head scratcher. I have to think that his leaving ORU so abruptly and early in the season soured other schools from taking a chance on him. Whoever was giving him counsel to make that move did Chris no favor.

23 minutes ago, ORUTerry said:

I am a little surprised that Crawford landed in D-2. His decision to transfer from ORU is a real head scratcher. I have to think that his leaving ORU so abruptly and early in the season soured other schools from taking a chance on him. Whoever was giving him counsel to make that move did Chris no favor.

I pointed this out when he left:  because of his ridiculous timing, he would have had to GRADUATE from a juco to play at a D-1 school.  He either didn't have the patience, or the grades, so his only option this coming season was a lower-level school.  Just a really, really foolish move on his part.

Yes I totally do not and did not understand that whole situation.  If anyone on paper fit the "ORU mold" whatever that may mean, you would have thought he would have been the poster child.  Having been a student at Victory Christian and having grown up literally across the street from ORU he surely knew what we were all about.  His abrupt departure last season will always remain a mystery to me.  Sad, he went first to a JUCO and now a D-II school.  Nothing wrong with that in and of itself, but I do not understand why you leave a D-I program where you were on scholarship and take the path he did.  And yes, had he stayed he would have probably had all the PT he wanted next year.  I believe his decision to depart abruptly last season has cost him with other D-I programs.

silver lining to the Crawford departure, ORU uses that scholly to sign Eman at semester break. 

who knows what happens if he plays a full year of prep school

• Upvote 1

Whomever the next coach is, I hope we will at least try a line-up with Emmanuel at the 3 (his natural position), Javan at the 4 (his natural position), and Albert at the 5 (his natural position), with a good dose of Chris coming off the bench for either Javan or Albert.

With our roster, I don't foresee a 4-guard line-up even being an option. Heck, a 3-guard line-up might be difficult, other than short spells.

• Upvote 4

38 minutes ago, oruvoice said:

Whomever the next coach is, I hope we will at least try a line-up with Emmanuel at the 3 (his natural position), Javan at the 4 (his natural position), and Albert at the 5 (his natural position), with a good dose of Chris coming off the bench for either Javan or Albert.

With our roster, I don't foresee a 4-guard line-up even being an option. Heck, a 3-guard line-up might be difficult, other than short spells.

This ^^^^^^

Currently, here is what our roster looks like - with 2 scholarships available:

Backcourt:

McDaniel

Malveau

R.J. Fuqua

J. Harris

R.J. Smith

These players have no/minimal D-1 experience. We will need them to mature quickly. Our shot making ability is unknown.

Frontcourt:

Owens

White

Miller

Ahmedic

Manek

EMan

These players are the strength of the team and the playing time should reflect that this coming year.

3 minutes ago, ORUTerry said:

Currently, here is what our roster looks like - with 2 scholarships available:

Backcourt:

McDaniel

Malveau

R.J. Fuqua

J. Harris

R.J. Smith

These players have no/minimal D-1 experience. We will need them to mature quickly. Our shot making ability is unknown.

Frontcourt:

Owens

White

Miller

Ahmedic

Manek

EMan

These players are the strength of the team and the playing time should reflect that this coming year.

GU1571I.gif

Not to hit a touchy subject but is Spencer Sutton gone?  I only ask because he was not included in the list above.  Also did he have a scholarship or was he an invited walk on?  I can't remember.