2017-18 (Roster, Schedule, etc)

ORUalum

Good luck with that, Daquan......agree that TU is better than ORU but the Golden Hurricane are a .500 team.....will they be better than that with him next season?....time will tell....but he's not Lebron James....:geek:

As of now, next season's lineup looks like this:

Point guard:  Malveau (juco transfer) and maybe McDaniel or J. Harris

Shooting guard: Martin, J. Harris and Morgan (KC high school recruit)

Wing: Eman, RJ Smith (red shirt), maybe Morgan

Power Forward: White, Manek (red shirt), Ahmedic (Arkansas high school recruit from Bosnia)

Center:  Owens, Miller

So the projected starting five would be: Malveau, Martin, Eman, White and Owens. Not having an experienced, seasoned point guard will make things difficult. Doesn't help that Malveau is listed at 5'10" - which probably means he is shorter. And Martin is not a great ball handler and can't really create his own shots. He needs to be coming off screens.

Crawford is at Connors State college in Muskogee playing point guard for the Cowboys. 

Here are his stats:  http://region2athletics.com/sports/mbkb/2016-17/div1/players/chriscrawfordgjif

He is averaging 13.7 PPG and 7.3 (!!) assists per game. I can't find where anyone is recruiting him. His leaving ORU abruptly may be scaring prospective schools away. 

7 minutes ago, ORUTerry said:

Crawford is at Connors State college in Muskogee playing point guard for the Cowboys. 

Here are his stats:  http://region2athletics.com/sports/mbkb/2016-17/div1/players/chriscrawfordgjif

He is averaging 13.7 PPG and 7.3 (!!) assists per game. I can't find where anyone is recruiting him. His leaving ORU abruptly may be scaring prospective schools away. 

i am all for bringing Crawford back, if they can't find better in the JUCO ranks.  of course that would require some humility from both parties.

no offense to the JUCO PG already signed, but i'm highly skeptical.

Crawford has a legitimate D1 PG frame.

• Upvote 1

Excellent point...Crawford went to Victory across the street...he is exactly what we need....wonder if he would want to come back and if ORU would take him???....:eagles:

Nah... 

Culture is the entire team showing up the day after. A single athlete training the day after is called character. 

• Upvote 1

Here is a link to Malveau's juco (HIll College) statistics through 26 games:  http://www.njcaaregion5.com/sports/mbkb/2016-17/players/kjmalveau6w9o

He is averaging 9.5 ppg with a 43.2% FG percentage (30.6% 3-point) and 75.3% from the free throw line. He is averaging 5.1 assists per game with a 3.0 assists-to-turnover ratio.

I can't find much on Ahmedic - who plays for Southwest Christian Academy in Little Rock. The school is 29-1 and 7-1 in league play. Not sure about their level of competition. I did find something showing through 3 games he is averaging 12.7 ppg and 7.3 rebounds.

19 minutes ago, ORUTerry said:

I can't find much on Ahmedic - who plays for Southwest Christian Academy in Little Rock. The school is 29-1 and 7-1 in league play. Not sure about their level of competition. I did find something showing through 3 games he is averaging 12.7 ppg and 7.3 rebounds.

tough to find much or the level of competition......the roster is all international kids

here are some tweets:

• 25 Oct 2016  Emir Ahmedic leads with 24 points.
  • 18 Nov 2016  Emir Ahmedic lead with 20 points.
  • 6 Dec 2016   F/C Emir Ahmedic 10pts, 6 Rebs, 1 assist, 1 blk
  • 10 Dec 2016 Emir Ahmedic 2pts, 5 Rebs, 3 assist, 1 stl
  • 10 Dec 2016 Emir Ahmedic 6pts, 8 Rebs, 2 assist
  • 17 Dec 2016 C/F Ahmedic Emir 12 pts, 4 rebs, 1 asst, 1 stl.
  • Jan 5 2017 PF Emir Ahmedic 8pts, 8rebs, 2 stls
  • Jan 14. Emir Ahmedic w/8 pts, 9 rebs, 2 asts
  • Jan 16 Emir Ahmedic w/8 pts, 7 reb, 2 ast
  • Jan 26 Emir Ahmedic - 10 pts, 3 rebs,
  • Jan 29 Oral Roberts signee EMIR Ahmedic - 15pts, 10 Rebs, 2 assist, 1 stl, 1 blk
  • Feb 3 Emir Ahmedic - 15 pts, 8 rebs, 2 assts, 1 stl
  • Feb 4 EMIR Ahmedic - 9pts, 10 rebs, 2 assist, 1 stl
  • Feb 11 Oral Roberts signee EMIR Ahmedic contributed 10 pts, 8 rebs, 5 asst. 3 stls
  • Feb 15 C/F EMIR Ahmedic - 5 rebs, 2 assist, 2 stls
  • Feb 22 2017 PF EMIR Ahmedic - 4pts, 5 rebs, 4 assist, 1 stl

On 2/23/2017 at 5:01 PM, WingMaaaan said:

Nah... 

Culture is the entire team showing up the day after. A single athlete training the day after is called character. 

In all fairness to the team, we don't know for a fact that all the non-seniors DIDN'T train Thursday. 

But, regardless, that is an awfully astute observation on your part, WM.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like ORU will be participating in the Legends Classic in Brooklyn ...... to include a game at Oklahoma State

Mark CooperVerified account @mark_cooperjr

#OKState has announced it will play in the Legends Classic in Brooklyn in November. The field: OSU, Penn State, Pittsburgh, Texas A&M.

As part of this, #OKState will also play two home games against Oral Roberts, Pepperdine, Montana or UC Santa Barbara.

So I'd say it seems likely #OKState will host Oral Roberts in a nonconference game next fall, too.

#OKState and Oral Roberts haven't met in GIA since 1997, before Scott Sutton became ORU head coach.

Edit:

Sweet....TheEagleman just might make the drive from Philly to State College for that game if it's true....:eagles:

Me too Eagleman, except I will be bringing a crew from here in the Upper Ohio Valley.  Happy Valley is a little over a 2 hour drive for me.  The last time I saw the Golden Eagles in our area was at Morgantown several years ago when they played WVU.  I did not get to see them in Akron.

It is pretty amazing that ORU hasn't played at OSU since 1997.  ORU did beat OSU 74-59 in December of 2007 in the All College Tournament in OKC.  I guess that may be the last time ORU played OSU.

Oh 2007... 

M. LewisF -- 2-6 0-0 7-10 3 3 6 0 1 0 2 2 11
Y. OgunoyeF -- 0-1 0-0 1-2 4 5 9 1 1 0 1 0 1
M. EhambeG-F -- 5-11 3-6 2-2 1 5 6 0 2 0 1 3 15
S. KingC -- 3-5 0-0 5-6 2 4 6 1 1 2 1 1 11
A. LibertyG

BENCH MIN FG 3PT FT OREB DREB REB AST STL BLK TO PF PTS
M. VealyF -- 0-1 0-1 2-2 1 1 2 1 1 0 1 4 2
K. SangoG -- 0-2 0-0 0-0 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 1 0
R. JarvisG -- 7-18 4-11 3-4 0 0 0 1 1 0 3 2 21
TEAM   21-51 8-20 24-32 12 22 34 7 8 2 11 16 74

Has anyone seen anything official saying ORU plays at OSU?

If ORU plays OSU and PSU, that likely means the other three mid-majors will also play one game in the Central time zone in Stillwater or College Station, and one Eastern time zone game in Pennsylvania.  ORU is the furthest east of the four mid-majors in this event (two in California and the third in Montana), and it's hard to  imagine the organizers would send any of those other three teams clear across the country for BOTH of their pre-Malibu games.

In other words, if ORU does play at OSU and Penn State, the Golden Eagles got a sweet deal compared to the other teams in their pod: traveling only one time zone for their furthest game, and just a one-hour bus ride for their other one, before their trip to Malibu for Thanksgiving break.

All around, as these tournaments go, not a bad deal at all!