Be Careful what you say...

rlh

He could show them the Memphis vs. TU in Tulsa footage.

http://media.putfile.com/Carney-Dunk-Off-Glass

He could but since TU played Memphis so much better in Memphis, I mentioned that game instead. The one where Tulsa was ahead 62-60 with 5:54 left.

I guess though, there could be something learned from the Tigers 23 point win in Tulsa.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• alanfairbanks

• ManiacAlum

• orumom

• JoeyO

Top Posters In This Topic

Sutton's biggest problem, in my book, has always been in-game adjustments, not the motivation factor.

Sidenote: Saw the "Best Damn Sports Show Period" tonight. They interviewed Coach Cal from Memphis, and what everyone on this post has been saying is right; all the pub we've been getting is bad for our actual chances of pulling off a win. He complimented our team, but mentioned how some publications and media members have been picking them to lose, and commented on how focused he is on the game, even saying he was worried about it. So much for trying to sneak up on Memphis...

Last year I'm guessing we would have been a 12 or 13 seed in the tournament. This year's team is more experienced and playing better!

If we would've won 3 of the games we lost to NCAA teams (which we easily could've), we'd be a 13 or 14 seed, IMO.

Anyways, as "good" a team as we are, this was bound to happen! ORU has go to have men show up on Friday and play their most superior basketball ever to beat Memphis! But it's not totally out of the question, unlike Duke playing Southern. Southern has very, very, very, VERY little chance to beat Duke.

Bottom line is, the analysts take deep looks at these matchups - this is where they're scratching their heads saying: "How's this team a 16-seed?" Selection Committee made a seeding choice on us based on the numbers - RPI, SOS, and wins against quality opponents - which we had virtually none.

MabeeJ, it was great to see that you get some t.v. time. We knew you'd find your way to the cameras somehow :D .

I told you they would find me somehow!

BTW, Coach Sutton got me pretty pumped up too! I love the fire I keep seeing from him.

The growth of Scott Sutton over the last seven years has been gratifying. He has kept a great staff together over that period.... no mean feat. Their camaraderie and friendship is evident.... and Scott is sure enough of himself to delegate to them. Scott's focus and intensity - especially in the Mid-Con Tournament - was evident this year. He also had some unfinished business.

How about that T he got late in the season in the Chicago State game; most of the crowd gave him a standing O. We saw a maturing Coach Sutton this year (witness the grey hair) and it showed in the last three games... zone defense, half-court traps, in-bounds plays and new offensive sets.

Scott (and his staff) fits the university; he represents us well and we are blessed to have him.

I was talking to ORUStatBoy yesterday and said that Scott could stay and become an icon at ORU. I know someday there will be an offer that will be hard to turn down but if he stayed with us, he would have ultimate job security, consistent raises, and a loyal fan base. Let the fund raisers begin! S.O.S. (Save Our Scott)

I have watched coach Sutton bring in a talent level that we haven't seen at ORU in a long long time. I have also watched them systemically underachieve. ORU should be the dominant team in one of the worst conferences in the nation. They should win every mid-con game by 20+ points, and i mean EVERY GAME. But they don't; they struggle against bad teams and they lose to average teams. It baffles me how a team who is better than most teams they play (at every single position) can go out and consistently play to the level of their competition, no matter how low (or high) that is. And it is not specific to the current team, it has happened for awhile as a couple rosters of players have come and gone. My only possible conclusion is that coach Sutton has really developed into a great recruiter, and assembler of talent, but has not yet developed into a great coach of execution. ORU should be able to go out and simply out execute most of the teams they play, regardless of whether they are "up for the game" or not, and this simply does not happen with regularity. (by the way, i do think they will beat Memphis on friday. Memphis may not be overlooking ORU entirely, but they will not be as focused as the golden eagles, who actually have a comparable talent level)

Sutton's biggest problem, in my book, has always been in-game adjustments, not the motivation factor.

Sidenote: Saw the "Best Damn Sports Show Period" tonight. They interviewed Coach Cal from Memphis, and what everyone on this post has been saying is right; all the pub we've been getting is bad for our actual chances of pulling off a win. He complimented our team, but mentioned how some publications and media members have been picking them to lose, and commented on how focused he is on the game, even saying he was worried about it. So much for trying to sneak up on Memphis...

I could have told you Sunday there's no way that was going to happen.

alanfairbanks, I would assume by your only having one post on the board that fairbanks is a fairweather fan, which is fine. We want all of the fans we can get. Our Coaches, Teams, athletic dep. staff and people behind the scenes have spent the last 7 years working toward this goal and building our fan base to a new level. We are thrilled to have all of the new and resurrected fans

But, that being said, Coach Sutton has shaken the monkey off of his back during the last month and has the team ready for the tourney. There is a calmness and confidence about our team and staff that truely help me to "Expect a Miracle."

In response to ORUMOM; one of the requirements to be a "fair weather fan", would typically be that you are actually a fan, which i am not. I follow the team, and have done so since coaches Hinson and Self, but would not consider myself a "fan" in the sense that I really am excited when they win or am upset/disappointed when they lose. Another requirement for being a "fair weather fan" is that the weather is in fact fair (meaning there must be some reasonable level of success), and i'm not sure if an underachieving 11 loss season culminating with a #16 seed in the NCAA tournament is that. Maybe after they beat Memphis, and I start wearing my ORU Titans apparel, I would be a "fair weather fan", but not just yet.

Back on point, I am very excited to watch the game friday, not because i am an ORU fan, but because I went to ORU, have alot of friends who really are huge huge fans, and it would just be great to see a 16 seed beat a 1 seed.

Therefore, you are a perfect example of why so many have worked so hard the last 7 years and we are glad to have you in our midst.

As an ORU grad myself, I find it sad that when someone graduates from ORU they aren't a fan of our teams. Having grown up with my father on staff at a Big 12 University, they would have wanted to hang you from the highest tree if you weren't a loyal fan in every sense of the word. My dad took a lot of bunk when I chose ORU over my full ride to the Univ of Nebr.

My dad took a lot of bunk when I chose ORU over my full ride to the Univ of Nebr.

Conversely, my dad didn't take any bunk when I (along with my three sisters) decided to attend ORU. (He was an ORU biology prof. so we all went for free!).

However, I am still a huge fan and I'm pulling my hair out because I can't go to FREAKIN' DALLAS ON FRIDAY!!! :cry:

That is a good point, if i had graduated from ORU but refused to be a fan, I should probably be hung. I attended ORU for 2 years, but graduated from the University of Tulsa. I feel no animosity towards ORU, and would rather have them win than lose. However, not being a devoted fan, allows me to follow the team objectively. It allows me to see that they allow lower quality teams hang around in games that should be blowouts, and that a team that should have only lost 4 or 5 games and been a 12 seed, actually lost 11 and is therefore a 16 seed. As far as the getting the "monkey off his back", I think coach sutton will need a bigger win than coming from behind and beating an 11-18 chicago state team in the mid-con championship game. The program is definately headed in the right direction (while my beloved Hurricane's struggle to turn back around our program), but do have some work still ahead of them to establish themselves as a consistent and nationally respectable program.

That is a good point, if i had graduated from ORU but refused to be a fan, I should probably be hung. I attended ORU for 2 years, but graduated from the University of Tulsa. I feel no animosity towards ORU, and would rather have them win than lose. However, not being a devoted fan, allows me to follow the team objectively. It allows me to see that they allow lower quality teams hang around in games that should be blowouts, and that a team that should have only lost 4 or 5 games and been a 12 seed, actually lost 11 and is therefore a 16 seed. As far as the getting the "monkey off his back", I think coach sutton will need a bigger win than coming from behind and beating an 11-18 chicago state team in the mid-con championship game. The program is definately headed in the right direction (while my beloved Hurricane's struggle to turn back around our program), but do have some work still ahead of them to establish themselves as a consistent and nationally respectable program.

Thank you, for your half support and look forward to our 4peat over the beloved Hurricane program. It always amazes me that TU people hit on Sutton....... but took Bill Self who did not win or get to the NCAA for ORU. So it is hard to figure out how a TU fan can say Sutton needs a bigger win to make him a successful coach or get the monkey off the back. I myself consider Coach Sutton as one of the up and coming Coaches. Big wins will come soon! Maybe this year!

I mostly agree with you. I don't think he necessarily got the monkey off his back completely. They should have already won the Mid-Con a few times with the level of talent that has played here the last few years. I think this year's win is great for Sutton, the players and the university...but he isnt off the hook i think. It baffles me how they can look so great at times and then so horrible at others. We can somehow play with Marquette and Oklahoma but struggle with Chi. St, Oakland and others. Beating teams by 30 at home and then losing to the same team on the road shows a lack of preparation by the coaches. We've had proably 3 times as many really bad losses than quality wins over the last five years. With that said, I'm a graduate, not a fair-weather fan and believe we can pull it out on Friday...

Who is your dad? what dept.?

Don't want to name names, but I'll give you a couple of clues. He was on the GEC board for several years and he chatted with you at the Mid-Con tournament (I think it during the Saturday games, but can't remember for sure.)

ManiacAlum, don't let fairweather get in your head and plant doubt. Reread ManiacPrez & MabeeJ's posts and focus on something more upbeat. They are the ones on campus and loyal, not skipping across town to TU and only associating with ORU when it makes him look good.

We have to remember that TU thought someone who's only head coaching experience was on the highschool level could replace Buz (who I think was hired because he was Michael Jordon's roommate & wore his shoes). Great job on promoting JP. (nice guy, but TU will spend years recovering from that and Judy M. (the AD) picked a good time to grab a life raft. There bes hire was the coach they hired from the southside of town, Bill Self.

Regardless of what has happened in the past or getting monkeys off backs, the fact is that our program is in a great spot right now. We are in the NCAA tournament and getting a lot of good publicity. Maybe we have lost some games we should have won but that is what maturing is all about. I have no problem with TU fans talking trash about us. We are headed in a great direction and there is no need for us to get upset about one person's "objective" opinion.

I was thinking. I like that we are playing Memphis instead of Texas for more than the fact that it would be really difficult to play in front of their crowd. If we would have gotten a #15 seed, we would have been just another #15 seed who is in the right place. The fact that we got a #16 seed has earned us so much more publicity and exposure. I know some may be upset that we were seeded poorly, but I would take this seed over the alternative for sure.