Be Careful what you say...

rlh

REmember just a couple of years ago, when we drew Kentucky in the first round. Everyone, even Digger Phelps who hates us, was predicting that Valpo would beat Kentucky in the first round because Kentucky had so many discipline problems during the year. What happened? We got beat by a bunch. Just be careful believing what these supposed pundits are saying about you beating Memphis. You don't want to wake up a team good enough for a number 1 seed. Do that and the same thing could happen to you. All these articles about being the best 16 seed ever and all that are not doing you any favors. It's great pub, but also great bulletin board material for the Tigers.

By the way, I agree, you might be the best 16 seed ever and if there is going to be a 16-1 upset, I'd love for it to be you.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• alanfairbanks

• ManiacAlum

• orumom

• JoeyO

Top Posters In This Topic

RLH, I couldn't agree more. Someone told me yesterday that ESPN had us as the most likely of the 16 seeds to pull off an upset and I was not happy about it. Hype is just hype. We have to remember that we are playing a team that has played a good schedule and only lost 3 games all year. I would MUCH rather fly under the radar than get a lot of hype coming into the game.

I was thinking the same thing. I have a feeling that they already feel disrespected...I just hope Memphis continues to look around and doesnt take it out on us.

Okay, it was a true road game, but ORU got stomped by a cleary better team at Montana. Montana is good, they're in the tourney as a 12 seed, but they're not Memphis.

Whenever I think that ORU might be able to play with Memphis, I can't help think of Montana. I think ORU has a shot, but I'm not betting on it.

RLH, I couldn't agree more. Someone told me yesterday that ESPN had us as the most likely of the 16 seeds to pull off an upset and I was not happy about it. Hype is just hype. We have to remember that we are playing a team that has played a good schedule and only lost 3 games all year. I would MUCH rather fly under the radar than get a lot of hype coming into the game.

Welcome to March Madness guys! I think it'd be fun to fly under the radar...but if there ever were going to be a 16-seed upset a 1, it's these types of circumstances. And people are going to talk about it.

I was thinking about this very topic today before reading your all's post and y'know what I landed on??? :?: Both sides are gonna suit up on Friday and the better team out of the 40 minutes is going to win!

A lot goes into how ORU would win this game...but that's for another post! :D:wink:8)

It's exciting to hear random people at work come up to me and say "Wow I heard ORU was the best 16 seed ever and they might have the best chance to win..."

but at the same time it sucks because the chances of the media hyping the game as a possible first ever 16-1 upset and then Memphis overlooking us is not good at all...

However, all this talk is just talk so we'll just have to see what happens Friday.

We're excited and everything, but we need to keep something in mind - Memphis is the best team we have seen in a LONG LONG time! Years to be sure! Just a reality check, I totally hope we pull off the upset and I believe we can, but the odds are sure stacked against it.

Well, if there is one truly important thing to remember it is how many thousands of people are hearing the name ORU. And with all the hype about best 16 seed, and the pundits talking about us, is that maybe that name will stick in their minds. Wow, was everyone completely right about all the free press we get for just making the tourney. This is such an exciting time.

I've noticed you guys do start a 6'11" or so center with some good size. So I'll add this -- if Oral Roberts has a legit inside game, and that inside game has 'big body' size - you very possibily could give the Tigers fits. We're weakest at the center position with only one good, very athletic, yet undersized center in Joey Dorsey. Our backup, Cooper, does have size at 6'11" and 285 but is soft as a baby's butt -- and plays in one gear only - slow. IMO - the Tigers are solid at the other positions --

I like all the national pub but I'll be surprised if we can keep it within 10 points. As a fan I'm hoping for the upset but I am truly proud of our coaches and players that we're in at all!

I like all the national pub but I'll be surprised if we can keep it within 10 points. As a fan I'm hoping for the upset but I am truly proud of our coaches and players that we're in at all!

There ya go. Good for you.

Sutton's biggest problem as a coach has been getting his team motivated in big games.

During the Mid Con tourney, he may have turned that corner.

Regardless, I don't think you have to worry about ORU not being up for th game. If anything, they might come out a little over-amped.

I'm sure Sutton has a copy of the TU vs Memphis game in Memphis in his DVD player right now.

He already knows everything TU, now he just has to apply that games strategy to his players.

ORU is more atheltic than TU at every position and, the key, has guys can hit the open shot. Tulsa could have won that game vs Memphis had our players been able to knock down the wide open looks they got on the permimeter.

I can't wait for this game and will be watching from home (I'm off Friday since I was on-call last week) what I think will be an outstanding game!!!

Guest Rob Marshall
Sutton's biggest problem as a coach has been getting his team motivated in big games.

Regardless, I don't think you have to worry about ORU not being up for th game. If anything, they might come out a little over-amped.

I'm sure Sutton has a copy of the TU vs Memphis game in Memphis in his DVD player right now.

He already knows everything TU, now he just has to apply that games strategy to his players.

ORU is more atheltic than TU at every position and, the key, has guys can hit the open shot. Tulsa could have won that game vs Memphis had our players been able to knock down the wide open looks they got on the permimeter.

I can't wait for this game and will be watching from home (I'm off Friday since I was on-call last week) what I think will be an outstanding game!!!

WD, how do you think TU's women will do this weekend? Will they be on television?

For what it's worth, I've never found myself extremely motivated by coach Sutton until I heard him speak on Sunday night at the watch party. His comments were the most inspirational words out of his mouth in seven years. I was so jacked that I was ready to throw on the jersey and take on all comers!!

MabeeJ, it was great to see that you get some t.v. time. We knew you'd find your way to the cameras somehow :D .

Sutton's biggest problem, in my book, has always been in-game adjustments, not the motivation factor.

Sidenote: Saw the "Best Damn Sports Show Period" tonight. They interviewed Coach Cal from Memphis, and what everyone on this post has been saying is right; all the pub we've been getting is bad for our actual chances of pulling off a win. He complimented our team, but mentioned how some publications and media members have been picking them to lose, and commented on how focused he is on the game, even saying he was worried about it. So much for trying to sneak up on Memphis...

He could show them the Memphis vs. TU in Tulsa footage.

http://media.putfile.com/Carney-Dunk-Off-Glass