ORU vs. Tulsa

Old Titan

Watched Tulsa's 10-point win at OSU on TV last night.  About as bad a game as I've seen in a long while at the college level.  Good athletes on both sides, but ragged, uninspired play most of the way, with poor shooting and decision-making almost every possession.  And the pitiful offense can't be attributed to good defense, after both teams sulked all night in zones, daring the other to make a "3" (which neither could do).  TU pulled away late on sheer effort, aided in part by the typically clueless coaching of OSU's Travis Ford down the stretch.

Tulsa could beat ORU by 20 on Saturday if they play like they did against Wichita State, but if the Golden Hurricane plays like they did last night in Stillwater, ORU could win their third straight in the series.  I at least expect the game to be competitive, IF ORU can make some shots and keep Shaq Harrison from driving to the rim from out top.

I've given up trying to handicap the Mayor's Cup game. I've thought we'd get blown out the past two years, both ORU wins.

My head tells me that TU will play INSPIRED and roll us up. This game DOES mean A LOT to the TU fan base and player's, despite what they say.

That said...I really like our squad and won't be terribly surprised if we make it a 3-peat on Saturday.

What is it Eddie Sutton used to always say?

"Shooting well can sure cover up a lot of shortcomings," or something like that.

Which is another of saying that "scoring the basketball" could cover up for the height differential at every position against TU.

If ORU can shoot the ball at 45% or better Saturday, I like their chances.

Of course, I guess that can be said for just about any team:  shoot better than the other guys, and you should win.

all things certainly point to a TU victory--lots of seniors, the comments after the game last year, playing at home, etc.

i agree that the match up to watch will be Harrison vs. Anderson.  can Anderson keep him from getting to the hoop at will?

Woodard vs Emegano should also be fun to watch.

ORU will need a bounce back game from Owens after his NM performance and for Conley to build on his game there.

Yes. Brandon seems to be coming along! Need him to stay out of foul trouble. I also think Albert will have a nice game against TU. He made several key plays last year in this game, in limited minutes.

Sure would be nice to have a healthy Javan for this one...

TU played poorly and won last night in Stillwater....they also played poorly at home last weekend and lost to UALR......TheEagleman thinks ORU has a great chance to 3-peat if we play our game....I trust Obi.....and Bradley....just need Conley, Anderson, Owens and Jeffries to make contributions....expect the line to be at least ORU +6...I like ORU with the points....;)

22 minutes ago, ORUJason said:

Is a healthy Javan a possibility?  

Don't know.

But, back to Albert having an off night against New Mexico, he did have to face two 7-1 guys and lots of other length.

1 hour ago, oruvoice said:

Yes. Brandon seems to be coming along! Need him to stay out of foul trouble. I also think Albert will have a nice game against TU. He made several key plays last year in this game, in limited minutes.

Sure would be nice to have a healthy Javan for this one...

the key for Conley is consistency.  he will have a break out game like this every once and awhile, but then back it up with 2 pts and a foul out.

if Coach Sutton could pencil in 10 pts, 7 rebounds, and a block or two each game from Conley, i bet he'd be ecstatic.

what was so encouraging was that he had his best game against a very tall and talented front line....let's hope this serves as a confidence boost and spring board for more games like that.

So TU has the experience in this match up with 9 seniors on the team....they have double revenge in their favor with ORU having won the last 2 years....TU is coming off a double digit win over an instate rival 2 nights ago having won at Stillwater while ORU's last effot was a 16 point loss at New Mexico.....and the Golden Hurricane are off to an good 5-2 start and are playing on their home court.....so it would appear that all the important indicators point to a TU victory on Saturday afternoon in the Mayors Cup, right?.....but in the words of the now senile Lee Corso....Not so fast, my friends!.....The Eagleman likes the spunk of the years' ORU squad....our young guys have talent and a never say die attitude....and Obi is just a beast...he shows up every night and is averaging 24 per game...he is the clear cut leader and captain of this team.....again, we need Conley and Owens to stay out of foul trouble and contribute on both ends of the floor....Bradley and Anderson have stepped up and been solid contributors....We are getting points from Martin and Jeffies most games...beating TU 3 years in a row is almost too much to ask but TheEagleman sees it happening.....this will be a tight game and I expect TU to bring everything they've got.....but the young guns of ORU pull this one out in the end 77-74. GO BLUE!!!....:lol:

TU has the edge in experience, length and playing on their home court. Not surprising that they would be 12 point favorites. Our edge is on the bench. But I also not be surprised if ORU wins the game. These rivalry games are hard to predict. Need to shoot well and prevent easy baskets. 

ORU is now getting 12.5.....I just don't get it....that line seems about 4-5 points too high....I would make TU about a 4 pt favorite on a neutral court....then add another 4 pts for the home court.....but 12.5????...TheEagleman is gonna grab that and run.....I agree with Terry....ORU can win this outright if we stay out of early foul trouble and protect the ball....if this game is close at halftime.....I love our chances.....:P

The line is probably where it is due to TUs last win against OSU and ORUs abysmal first half against New Mexico.  I can understand it.  At times our defense was fairly suspect in that game.  However the way the refs are now calling blocking fouls and charges may be partly to blame.