#1 Memphis vs #16 ORU in Dallas

Weatherdemon

Didn't think you all deserved #16. Very surprised by that.

I figured #15 was a better bet.

Voice, got some decisions to make!

We got a tough team to play in Memphis, but they are not unbeatable and I would much rather play them than the other #1 seeds. And being in Dallas means we can get some fans out there. I'm somewhat happy in what we got, now lets go get 'em Eagles.

i would rather play a streaky offensive team in memphis than a tough definsve team in texas!!

go eagles, i atually am looking forward to this game and the arkansas/bucknell game

Digger Phelps said on bracketology that Oral Roberts is a team that can beat Memphis. He said with Caleb Green and Kenny Tutt that ORU could upset Memphis.

I'm just amazed how much they know about us. ORU is big time, Baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1) Does anyone know what time ORU plays memphis on friday?

2) I agree with the beardman, memphis is a great draw as far as potential matchups go for ORU

man, as upset as i was that we got a 16# seed, it's a more hopeful matchup than some of the # 15 seeds, and certainly better than any of the other #16's.

What is they actually pulled this out?

That would certainly be amazing!!!!!

i would rather play a streaky offensive team in memphis than a tough definsve team in texas!!

go eagles, i atually am looking forward to this game and the arkansas/bucknell game

Just some stats for consideration...

NCAA? Men's Basketball

Division I

Through Games 03/06/2006

Scoring Offense

6. Memphis 82.3 PPG

Scoring Margin

4. Memphis 15.1 PPG

Field-Goal Percentage Defense

6. Memphis 38.4

Rebound Margin

8. Memphis 7.2

Blocked Shots Per Game

4. Memphis 6.8

Steals Per Game

8. Memphis 10.0

If we were to play Texas in Dallas... well you can imagine an arena filled to the brim with burnt orange. But this situation is much better. Way funner to root for an underdog. We can make history here!!

Just some stats for consideration...

NCAA? Men's Basketball

Division I

Through Games 03/06/2006

Scoring Offense

6. Memphis 82.3 PPG

Scoring Margin

4. Memphis 15.1 PPG

Field-Goal Percentage Defense

6. Memphis 38.4

Rebound Margin

8. Memphis 7.2

Blocked Shots Per Game

4. Memphis 6.8

Steals Per Game

8. Memphis 10.0

You don't mind us doing a little dreaming do you, umbluegray?

Obviously, Memphis is a very talented and athletic squad. They will show us a level of speed and quickness that we have not seen all season. There is a reason that they are a #1 seed. We will need to limit turnovers by handling their pressure defense and try to control the tempo of the game.

ORU is not a patsy.... and Memphis could find this out on Friday.

You don't mind us doing a little dreaming do you, umbluegray?

Not at all. Tiger fans are dreaming about a national title.

I hope it didn't come over wrong. My post was meant as an FYI...

Best of luck to y'all Friday.

Guest Rob Marshall
Digger Phelps said on bracketology that Oral Roberts is a team that can beat Memphis. He said with Caleb Green and Kenny Tutt that ORU could upset Memphis.

actually, it was Jay Bilas that said that, not Digger. Jay's way more in-touch with ORU than Digger ever thought about being!

Is it true that Bilas made a recruiting visit to ORU before choosing Duke? It was mentioned during the Mid-Con championship game but I'd never heard it before.

Guest Rob Marshall
Is it true that Bilas made a recruiting visit to ORU before choosing Duke? It was mentioned during the Mid-Con championship game but I'd never heard it before.

Bilas had a California connection to the Acres family (Dick and his sons) so like Steve Hale, he woulda, coulda, shoulda been a Titan. The 1979-80 team had a number of former Mr. Basketball's from their respective states. Believe it or not, Bill Self WANTED to come to ORU to play and wasn't good enough so he had to settle for a scholarship offer from Oklahoma State! :wink:

Something else to think about... Driving from Memphis to Dallas is a decent trip, and I'm sure all of the Memphis faithful would do it in a heartbeat, EXCEPT that they are a #1 seed, and there is no reason they should EVER lose to a 16, or for that matter, an 8 or 9... Soooo, what does this mean, it means that they are expecting Sweet 16 and more!!! So if they are going to drop some coin for this team, they are going to want to do this for the later rounds, not the first round where they play a nobody in Oral Roberts! We have got to get fans to travel, because with the ORU faithful plus everyone else in the arena pulling for the unthinkable 16 beating a 1, we should have a decent crowd!!! It's a good theory I think... Could be wrong though! Hey, at least we're here, let's go have some fun!!! :D