Big News?

ORUIllini

Actually, I think the exact opposite is true. I can't imagine much casual traffic flows to FCS, a channel so obscure that many major cable providers don't even offer it. Those that do, for the most part, only offer it on high-cost premium sports tiers and slot it a channel number far away from ESPN, meaning very few casual fans will ever find it.

ESPN3, on the other hand, is now available to almost everyone with a basic cable package and has become a regular viewing destination for millions. It's perfect for a second-screen experience and it can be viewed on the go.

It can also be viewed in conjunction with other games, as part of a dual or quad box. Go to ESPN3 to watch Kansas vs. Duke, and hey, why don't I use my second screen on ORU vs. North Dakota State?

Also, preemptions will never been an issue on ESPN3, and many of those games end up on TV anyway as part of the FullCourt package if you're just desperate to watch games on traditional TV. And like someone else said: if cost is an issue, Roku and Chromecast are bothcheaper options than a premium sports tier.

Actually, I think the exact opposite is true. I can't imagine much casual traffic flows to FCS, a channel so obscure that many major cable providers don't even offer it. Those that do, for the most part, only offer it on high-cost premium sports tiers and slot it a channel number far away from ESPN, meaning very few casual fans will ever find it.

ESPN3, on the other hand, is now available to almost everyone with a basic cable package and has become a regular viewing destination for millions. It's perfect for a second-screen experience and it can be viewed on the go.

It can also be viewed in conjunction with other games, as part of a dual or quad box. Go to ESPN3 to watch Kansas vs. Duke, and hey, why don't I use my second screen on ORU vs. North Dakota State?

Also, preemptions will never been an issue on ESPN3, and many of those games end up on TV anyway as part of the FullCourt package if you're just desperate to watch games on traditional TV. And like someone else said: if cost is an issue, Roku and Chromecast are bothcheaper options than a premium sports tier.

I'm sure the powers-that-be have similar explanations for why they made the move.  And, based on this and previous posts from you, I feel quite comfortable you ARE one of those powers-that-be, so it's probably safe to assume you have not only insider info, but also an agenda in this case.

So, I feel like I need more information on the previous deal, and the new one, before digging my heels in the ground about whether this change is overall a wise decision, or if it is simply the equivalent of a school-girl crush on being associated in some form or fashion with "The Worldwide Leader In Sports".

But I do know this:  when I'm personally surfing for games on Cox, I couldn't care less how many homes the various available sports channels are being beamed to.

I just look to see who/what's playing on those channels.  And, if it's an interesting game or match-up, I watch it, regardless of whether it's an ESPN channel, or a Fox channel , or a local cable channel, or whatever.

And, the only time I EVER go to ESPN3 on my laptop or my iPad is when something I SPECIFICALLY WANT TO SEE is being broadcast there EXCLUSIVELY (in other words, not available on a cable broadcast).  I don't go there looking for a "second screen experience" - that's what Twitter's for!

Are my viewing habits really so different from most "casual viewers" (as you describe them) who might be even remotely interested in watching an ORU basketball game?  Yes, I DO have the higher-tier Sports Package from Cox with FCS included.  But isn't that really pretty common for the same viewers who have figured out the nuances of viewing programming on WatchESPN.com?  Are we not BOTH actually talking instead about HARD CORE viewers, none of whom are "casual" when it comes to watching college basketball?

P.S. ...and, no matter WHAT the broadcast medium is, I still in my heart-of-hearts fear that live broadcasts of ORU games are a mistake.  Sure, it might not hurt popular basketball programs that are going to draw fans to their games regardless of whether they're on live TV.  But, for programs with weak attendance such as ORU basketball or TU football or the like, it may merely bleed off both loyalists and "cherry pickers" who might opt to stay home in as-yet-untold numbers and watch the game on (fill in the blank).

There's a very real chance that your viewing habits are different than many consumers out there, OT. You illustrate that point quite well when you suggest you don't go to WatchESPN unless you're specifically looking for something. In fact statistics say that the average consumer watches content on whatever medium is most convenient to them. While we're using personal examples, it's much easier and more enjoyable for me to watch something I can curate via my AppleTV (Netflix, WatchESPN, Amazon Instant Video) than it is scanning through  hundreds of under-produced, soon to be canceled television shows. I'm not suggesting that folks will be "cutting the cord" in large numbers anytime soon – I'm just saying the world wide leader has invested heavily in this digital medium for a reason. 

I'll say it again . . . we can't worry about the hundred (that may be high) or so fans who decide it's not worth driving down to south Tulsa to watch the basketball game because they'd rather fire up their digital streaming device or iPad, because the potential gain on the other side of the equation is so much larger. Regarding the "blackout" argument, league to league everyone has different rules. The NBA used to black out everything within a 35 mi radius of the local teams market but now that's restricted to NBA tv games. The NFL is a much different animal: 

Since 1973, the NFL has maintained a blackout policy that states that a home game cannot be televised locally if it is not sold out 72 hours prior to its start time. This makes the NFL the only major professional sports league that requires teams to sell out in order to broadcast a game on television locally.

My point is, it's not as easy as saying, if you blackout the game more people will come. Figuring out how to get more people to the game consistently is, as I know you know, a much larger conversation than whether or not we should try to reap the benefits of recruiting both for the university and basketball program, through such a fantastic platform. The potential impact of a tweet now going out from the @ORUMBB and @OralRobertsU accounts that comes across an alum's screen who would never special order Fox College Sports but might turn on their Xbox/Playstation/Roku/etc to watch the game, is really a cool idea. 

I guess we'll see but I'm really excited about the prospect. 

I think this is great! Especially since ESPN3 can be streamed from so many devices. Not just the computer, but tablets, phones, game consoles, AppleTV, and even HD Televisions that come with apps will allow fans and users to watch the games at ease. I understand that you guys from Oklahoma may not like the idea of this however, think about te fans who live out of state. They now can watch at ease without having to buy college packages from their cable provider or pay 7.99$ to watch the game on some website.

Maybe you are stuck at an airport or on a plane and want to catch the game, or some other perdiciment and army able to watch the game on your TV. ESPN3 comes in hand.

All great points.

There is no question the ESPN3 plan is more convenient for those who have the WatchESPN app on their mobile device.

I guess I just still view the world through my myopic perspective of ticket sales when I was working at ORU: those "100 or so fans" not showing up for a game really bothered me, for whatever their reason might be.

Especially it it meant seeing 100 more empty seats in the Gold Section, on TV or otherwise.

I suppose I've always been more preoccupied with attendance than I have been with "exposure", in all its positive and negative forms.

Hopefully, the move hasn't just made it easier for thousands more alums, donors and "casual viewers" being able to conveniently tune in and say (ala theEagleman5) "OMG - THERE'S HARDLY ANYONE THERE!!"

The appearance problem could be partially solved if we would make the common sense decision to move students and other fans into the 'line of camera sight' seats. Have never understood why the athletic department is so resistant to this. It would also help to change the gold seat covers to blue.

The MAC recently signed a new deal with ESPN which requires among other things that all of the member schools in the MAC broadcast each of their home games which in turn will air on one of the ESPN networks.  This includes ESPN3.  Further, all must be broadcast in HD.  I think this is the wave of the future.  The younger generation is really into apps on their phones/computers/pads which provides them with access at all times to ESPN.  My kids loaded the same on my phone.  I have had the "Man Cave" at our house filled with my kids and their friends watching not one but several flat screen televisions at the same time, and all were tuned to different ESPN networks watching multiple games at the same time.  I myself like to tune in ESPN3 and surf the games that are being broadcast.  I may only watch a minute or two of a game, but I love seeing different schools and what they have.  I further know that my oldest who is currently at ORU does the same thing in his dorm room with his friends.  They will combine several televisions in one room and watch several different games at the same time.  They also like to surf what is available on ESPN3 to watch games.  Finally, Liberty University has been putting their product on ESPN3 for quite some time.

As for Fox College Sports, it is an obscure network.  I have Comcast and cannot get FCS without paying a serious premium and even then they bury it at the far end of the channels well away from any other sports networks.  Quite frankly, it is not worth spending the money to pickup the channel.  In order to get ORU's broadcasts, I pay for and get Elive.

My kids laugh at me because they think cable as well as satellite or dish networks are a thing of the past.  With ESPN, Netflix and a whole host of other things I have no clue about, cable is going to fade eventually into obscurity.  ESPN gives us access to much more exposure than FCS.  I do not expect people will purposely tune in our games.  However, they will surf and in doing so may watch a little of our games.  This in turn gives not only the basketball team but the University much more exposure.  That is what the future is all about.

GO GOLDEN EAGLES! 

My kids laugh at me because they think cable as well as satellite or dish networks are a thing of the past.  With ESPN, Netflix and a whole host of other things I have no clue about, cable is going to fade eventually into obscurity.  ESPN gives us access to much more exposure than FCS.  I do not expect people will purposely tune in our games.  However, they will surf and in doing so may watch a little of our games.  This in turn gives not only the basketball team but the University much more exposure.  That is what the future is all about.

LOL - until I can watch an entire internet broadcast in HD without either:  1. The picture shifting back and forth from HD to standard to worse, or 2. Completely freezing altogether while buffering, then my cable account is safe from becoming "a thing of the past".

I'm also not convinced the TRUE reason so many young people prefer streaming video over cable isn't more about privacy than it is convenience or programming.

I'm also not convinced the TRUE reason so many young people prefer streaming video over cable isn't more about privacy than it is convenience or programming.

i'd say more likely it's piracy. i would not know anything about it, but i understand just about every TV show is available on-line the next day; boot-leg movies the weekend they open and often prior.  add in firstrowsports, a borrowed netflix password, a $35 chromecast, and there is no need to pay $100+ a month for cable.

for the record, i've got Uverse, but the cable/satellite people have to know that this how a big chunk of the under 30 crowd is getting their entertainment.  they are going to have to move away from bundled packages and start offering channels a la carte.

OK, I'm tired of playing the role of "Grumpy Old Man" - here's some GOOD NEWS (at the 11:00 and 15:00 marks) for a little break from all the Sturm und Drang:

Obi Emegano is undoubtedly one of the more impressive student-athletes I can recall in my over 40 years of association with ORU - dude is mature beyond his years, and by all indications a natural-born leader.

• Upvote 1

Obi is the reason I am reasonably optimistic about this team. I saw his leadership and drive last year in his brief few games. He was a major part of our win over TU.

Obi is a top 2 or 3 player in the Summit just as he was in the Southland last year. Makes a huge difference for ORU. He would have been the difference in 6 or 7 more wins last year.

If he can stay healthy this year ORU will be pretty darn good.

The MAC recently signed a new deal with ESPN which requires among other things that all of the member schools in the MAC broadcast each of their home games which in turn will air on one of the ESPN networks.  This includes ESPN3.  Further, all must be broadcast in HD.  I think this is the wave of the future.  The younger generation is really into apps on their phones/computers/pads which provides them with access at all times to ESPN.  My kids loaded the same on my phone.  I have had the "Man Cave" at our house filled with my kids and their friends watching not one but several flat screen televisions at the same time, and all were tuned to different ESPN networks watching multiple games at the same time.  I myself like to tune in ESPN3 and surf the games that are being broadcast.  I may only watch a minute or two of a game, but I love seeing different schools and what they have.  I further know that my oldest who is currently at ORU does the same thing in his dorm room with his friends.  They will combine several televisions in one room and watch several different games at the same time.  They also like to surf what is available on ESPN3 to watch games.  Finally, Liberty University has been putting their product on ESPN3 for quite some time.

As for Fox College Sports, it is an obscure network.  I have Comcast and cannot get FCS without paying a serious premium and even then they bury it at the far end of the channels well away from any other sports networks.  Quite frankly, it is not worth spending the money to pickup the channel.  In order to get ORU's broadcasts, I pay for and get Elive.

GO GOLDEN EAGLES! 

It looks llke streaming is definitely part of the future.  My daughter and her husband "pulled the plug" about a year ago.  They use the internet for all their content now (legally).  I date back to the time of initially having to depend on the neighbors to watch their tv because we didn't have a tv, then moving to us having a tv and a 100 ft tall antenna outside in an attempt to get the 1 and finally 3 local channels.  Ocassionally, we could even capture a fuzzy picture from some of the Houston channels on a good day.  :)

As one who has basically lived through the life cycle of broadcast, cable, FIOS, satellite tv, and internet access, I welcome advancements.  I'm a UVerse subscriber now, but I've used the internet to receive content enough to see its viability as an option.  I think it is great for a conference and a university to have multiple broadcast outlets.  As others have mentioned in the thread, someone unfamiliar with the program might happen in.  Exposure is a good thing.  I realize none of the options are ratings magnets unless the respective programs and conferences we support achieves the level of interest we all hope, but it is nice to have a lot of options for alumni and fans.

The Summit League may already have agreements with other outlets which limit the available options, but several conferences are hedging with multiple sources.  For example, the conference I'm familiar with, the Southland Conference, has several broadcast avenues.

Over the Air Transmissions - Southland TV - syndicated and cable broadcast network mainly for football and basketball now.   This year, the syndicate spans 27 stations in 6 states over the air, live cable access (Altitude and Comcast Mid-Atlantic), and cable delay (Fox College Sports, Comcast Sportsnet Houston, and Cox Sports Television) in addition to locally originated and ESPN carried broadcasts.  Looking at the schedule, stations in cities like Oklahoma City, Tulsa, Omaha, Jacksonville, FL, Amarillo, El Paso, as well as cities closer to the current conference footprint are participants in the syndicate.

http://www.southland.org/sports/2014/6/26/television.aspx?

Streaming - The Southland Conference also has the digital streaming world covered with Southland Digital TV and a branded ESPN digital channel dedicated to Southland Conference content, Southland Conference TV - ESPN3. The ESPN specific channel, along with around 15 other  conference specific channels announced at the same time, is currently restricted to AppleTV and Roku, but is supposed to be available to a broader market in the future.

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2014/02/dozen-college-conference-channels-now-available-watchespn/

Also, like others, my university streams all its home games (just about every team sport) which aren't restricted contractually by the above sources.

From an out of towner, I couldn't get FCS with Dish Network (and no ORU bball games being on Cox wasn't a big enough reason to switch unfortunately) so I'm excited about the move to ESPN3.  With the sports package I do have, sometimes the games on ESPN3/ESPN Full Court are available for free so I'm hoping to get them there.  At least with ESPN3 I actually have access to it now.  Plus I do have the chromecast too which means I can put it on the big screen (hopefully). 

I don't know if this is a good move or not for the masses, but I know it should help me tune into a few more games. 

Home games will also be tape-delayed nationally on GEB America and locally in Tulsa on KGEB.

good arguments on both sides of the FCS / ESPN3 question.  one downside is the loss of the live broadcasts on GEB America.  this at least got ORU home games live on DIRECTV homes without the need of a sports package that included FCS.  i assume part of the agreement with ESPN was that the GEB national broadcasts of ORU games had to be tape delayed.

while were talking about GEB America, i wish they would add an ORU sports block to their weekend programming.  it would be neat to see them televise a game of the week a couple times a month....(i.e. women's basketball, volleyball, baseball, soccer).  i'm sure it's cost prohibitive to broadcast minor sports, but if they had the funds, it might help raise the profile of the programs and assist with recruiting.

I agree Alum about GEB doing more to feature ORU sports. It would be a great way to get more exposure for the sports teams and the University.

Obi is the reason I am reasonably optimistic about this team. I saw his leadership and drive last year in his brief few games. He was a major part of our win over TU.

I agree with this but I'll add Billbury to the list. He showed a lot of heart last year after Obi's injury. 

No more ORU on FCS?....TheEagleman has one thing to say.....BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!..... :puke: :puke: :puke: