JUCO PG?

ORUalum

Yeah I wouldn't mind just adding one:

*Singleton (young)

*Jackson (May be hitting a ceiling / time to see how he responds)

*Lee (unknown potential)

• Upvote 1

i hope DJ is back.  the leg injury seemed to be a setback, but i thought he was ORU's best option at point this season.  he's the last of that KC crew and seems to be a fine young man that represents the university very well.

more from Ben Berry...ORU certainly has a geographical advantage.

@RBooGie3 university of Charleston, ORU, & Lynn University are the ones im considering

— IG: _benbeezy (@IHoopToMuch)

March 30, 2014

Yeah, this is the time of year for the "exit interviews", where each player is brought in for one-on-one discussions with the coaches to discuss their future with the program, since athletic scholarships are only good for one year and are renewable.

Each year, there are scholarship players on the roster of every school in the country who are told in these meetings that they don't figure into the coaching staff's plans to play much the next year.  Here are some of the possible scenarios for these guys:

• Young players who aren't projected to play much are told that, while they can still stay on scholarship for another year, they must make certain improvements and/or changes to their games to ever get significant playing time as an upper-classman.  Freshmen-becoming-sophomores who failed to make any impact their rookie year are an example of who gets this sort of ultimatum.

• Players with at least a couple of years of eligibility left are often encouraged (and many choose) to leave school to find a better playing situation elsewhere, tyoically at the NAIA level where they would be eligible immediately.

• Some players, especially older guys who have just never gotten over the hump, are counseled on other forms of financial aid so they can stay in school and finish their degree, but be taken off athletic aid and end their playing careers.  I've always been impressed by the guys who swallow their pride and stay on campus anyway to get their diploma.  These are the guys who actually came to school to get an education, not just to play basketball.  They want to see their dream of getting a degree come to pass, and are to be commended for their maturity in staying.

• Then, there are those hard-cases that are just flat-out told they are no longer on the team, typically if they are academic or discilplinary liabilities, or documented locker room cancers.  They may have already been declared academically ineligible, or have been suspended during the year for breaking the rules, so the writing is on the wall before now.  A good number of these "dead men walking" have already packed bags and headed back home, anyway, so the meeting never even takes place.

I would like to believe that, if a kid has done all that is asked of him on and off the court, but has just not been able to make the transition to college basketball, he is not just "cut" like some minor league pro player, and is instead afforded some of the options described. 

But, maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part...

• Upvote 1

Just informed. Byford was one of three who asked to leave. Source will not name other 2 yet. Will keep you guys posted.

If true, not too surprised.....very little playing time and too many ahead of him... But from another side, if true, I'm a little disheartened because he seems like a great young man who "gets it" in my opinion when it comes to being a student athlete at ORU, and we may never know his potential....maybe he'd be a good fit at Wisconsin for Bo Ryan....kinda seems like that kind of player...

Don't know if this is the best place to post this but here is the 2014 transfer list . I noticed that Phabian Glasco is leaving Central Arkansas.  I believe we recruited him a bit out of high school.  Any chance he comes back to Tulsa to play with his former high school teammate Billbury?

other Southland Transfers

Julian Edmonson, 6'1, JR, Abilene Christian   -----  stats --  dropped 26 on ORU
Alexsander Milosavljevic, 6'9 JR, Abilene Christian
Jacob Lancaster, 6'10, JR, Abilene Christian
James Pegues, 6'6, SO, Abilene Christian

Phabian Glasco, 6'7, FR, Central Arkansas ---  stats
Jalen Jackson, 6'6, FR, Central Arkansas  --- stats

I wonder why Abilene Christian has so many players leaving their program? Edmonson was a contributor - not sure about the others.

Does anyone know the limitation an institution has in changing lineups per year - or over a set time period? I seem to remember that there is some sort of threshold in regards to how many players can leave a program over a certain timeframe. I guess it is a function of the team's APR.

The most recent APR calculation I can find for ORU's men's basketball program is for the 2011-12 season: 959

Here is the APR over the last several years; these are rolling four year average numbers:

2006-07:  943

2007-08:  914

2008-09:  904

2009-10:  915

2010-11:  934

2011-12:  959

The current threshold to participate in NCAA post season is 930; this was changed in 2012 (I think). Obviously the number is trending up. I don't know how the NCAA treats a transfer to another intitution (D-1 or D-2).

Guys, did alitle digging today and found out the names of the other two players who have decided to transfer. The names are very shocking and a little disappointing. DJ Jackson and Jordan Kaufman have decided to "take their talents" elsewhere.

sorry to hear that.  i had a feeling about DJ when he lost his job to Singleton.  i hope it was his decision and not that he was eased out.  if he was eased out, i hope he will take over Jake's role as student assistant so he can finish his degree.  he's 3 yrs in and already used his red-shirt....there can't be many playing options other than stepping down to NAIA or DII.

TheEagleman is sorry to hear that all 3 are leaving...all had an upside but had diminshed playing time.....best wishes to them where ever they wind up...all seemed like nice kids...... :nerd:

• Upvote 1

Really shocked about Kaufman. I mean... really –– especially w/ the move back to the Summit.

I hate to see DJ leave because I like him so much #youdontknowJACKson

:puke:

Sorry to hear about all three. Jackson seems like a nice young man and a decent player. Not sure we had him playing in the right position. Kaufman will be hard to replace. The Summit League plays his style of basketball. We just got a lot shorter.