Utah State Predictions

orumom

With Utah State's penchant for playing zone, I think Ken Tutt is the key to the Eagles' success Saturday night. If he hits some early threes, it could be a fun night in Tulsa. Prediction - if Ken scores double digits in the first half, we win.

I like this match-up, as it appears that their strengths are in their power forward and shooting guard, same as us. Their posters are somewhat concerned about their point guard, and the chemistry of new team members. Quite similar to us... so theoretically, all things being equal - the home team wins!

Also, we have a history of big-time players recording career games against us, but we play well against a "team". Utah State appears to employ much more a "team" concept.

Overall, I think Ken ends up with 22 and Caleb 17... and no one else hits double digits. Riouse could also play a role behind the arc. Eagles win 71-66.

Don't forget about the experimental rule changes that the NCAA is allowing in the first several games of the new season.

Men's Experimental Rules: During certified games, exhibition games and scrimmages, the three-point line will be extended to 20 feet, 9 inches, the lane will be widened to 14 feet, and a 3 foot restricted-area arc.

The longer 3-point line is lowering 3-pt FG% in early games. This could impact teams playing against zone defenses. The wider lane will also impact how players set up down low for entry passes. Not sure how many games these experimental rules will be in effect.

Additionally, the NCAA is making the following points of empahsis:

Men's Basketball Points of Emphasis: Rough play and palming the basketball will be emphasized in 2005-06.

That is why Bluitt was called for palming the ball twice during the first exhibition game.

Guest Scriber

This is a HUGE game to start the season, and I'm expecting a tough battle.

Utah State might be the best non-conference team to play at the Mabee Center in quite some time. Any thoughts on this?

As for a prediction, I'll say ORU 77, USU 65 with 6-7K in the stands...

And by the way, unless something has changed, I believe the experimental rules are primarily used during the pre-conference tournaments (Pre-Season NIT, Coaches vs. Cancer, Guardians Classic, etc.). We played with them in Hawaii last year and it's likely that we will be playing with them in Alaska this season.

Utah State might be the best non-conference team to play at the Mabee Center in quite some time. Any thoughts on this?

Since we will all admit the Mid-Con in not known for its quality of play on a national scale, I think you could delete the "non-conference" reference above - as Coach Sutton said Tuesday night, the Aggies will be one of the best teams (period) to visit Mabee Center in the past 5-7 years. And, yes, it will be a battle.

Some interesting trivia... in the past 25 years, ORU is only 7-7 in home openers against D-1 opponents. When considering that ORU has won 70% of Mabee Center games in that same timeframe, it shows that either the quality of home opener opponents exceeds the average, or ORU has historically started slow. I think there may be some truth to both.

Just for the record -

The wins: Princeton, USC, OSU, Sam Houston St., Texas A&M, Valpo, Nebraska

The losses: OSU, North Texas, Texas (twice), Creighton, Eastern Illinois, Chattanooga.

Some would say history is irrelevant in this case - this is one game - and I would tend to agree. But I would say that this tells us that fans around Tulsa need to rally around this team tonight, show up and be loud, to help the Eagles to victory. The "Sixth Man" in the blue and gold seats can and will make a big difference tonight.

On a personal note, I especially remember the USC opener in 1982. The Trojans came in with high expectations and as a prohibitive favorite. The Titans took control early (the crowd was electric!) and COASTED to a 72-51 win - let's hope it's one of THOSE nights tonight!

I have noticed our slow start myself - that's why I didn't predict our boys to win tonight. Hope I'm wrong.

I remember my freshman year against Nebraska. They've never had a great basketball team but it was exciting to see ORU beat a Big XII team. We actually looked superior to them that year and we weren't even that great.

Who do you think will contribute the most off the bench? Id really like to see Meloy get hot with 10+ pts.

My pick is gonna be Yemi with 12.