Utah State Predictions

orumom

Home opener!

What's the Score & Crowd going to be? Who will come up big?

Here's a website from last year that we all looked at a bunch: http://kenpom.com/sked.php?y=2006&team=Oral%20Roberts&t=p

Kenpom has us as a 2 point dog, but our strength of schedule is awesome as of right now. I don't like the 16-10 projection!!!

Here's to a great start on Saturday!!!

Sagarin also has us as a 2 point dog, which means we would be a 10 point underdog if this game was in Logan (as it will be in December). This will be a battle, but we don't lose many in the Mabee Center, and this won't be one of those rare losses. I'm picking the Eagles 71-66.

Assuming that classes haven't released for Thanksgiving, we should be disappointed with any crowd less than 7,000 against a team of this caliber, especially with our pre-season hype. But, since I'm not in Tulsa, it's hard for me to gauge. :?

How can we be a 2 point dog to Utah State but favored over USC? Odd. I think it all depends on how we play on the defensive end... Green and Tutt will get thiers. Gotta get stops.

We get no love from Pomeroy, who ranks us 107 preseason after ranking us 74 at the end of last season. Also, I have to question his calculations a little bit that give us five conference losses. If we are able to win the conference again this season, it won't be with 5 losses.

ORU, 77-74.

Classes are not out until Wednesday next week so hopefully the students will show up. Over 6000 tix sold for Saturday but I think this includes the student sections. Hopefully we will get some ink Saturday and get some walkups but will have competition from football, TU, and the new Tulsa 66er's for space. Hear that Scott has really worked 'em this week. Intensity is the key. ORU by 5 - 77-72.

Actually, after checking the other Mid-Con teams, according to Pomeroy's projections a 11-5 record in conference DOES win it. I don't think that that will be correct, but he still has us leading the pack.

Pomeroy is just guessing.... he doesn't know anything about any of the teams except what they did last year. This is just a starting point so that he has something to place on his web-site until the RPI rankings settle out. What is a "Pomeroy Rank"? Is that like a "special sauce"?

He may be right or wrong about particular games, but to place a predictive value this early in the season is silly.

I spent some time cruising the Pomeroy site and the guy seems to know his basketball. He uses a lot of statistics to arrive at his analysis. i think some of his logic (using the last 2-3 years as a predictor is a bit of a stretch.... too many intangibles) is faulty - but hey, it's fun to talk about.

Here is an interesting article about Utah State:

http://kenpom.com/blog/index.php/weblog/feeling_lucky2/

I'm usually conservative with my predictions, but at least for this once, conservative predictions be darned!

ORU 92, Utah State 70.

And it'll only be that close because our bench plays the last 5 minutes.

Green goes for 25 and 15, Tutt hits 4 trey's, and Larry Owens has at least 2 fast break jams.

What is a "Pomeroy Rank"? Is that like a "special sauce"?

hilarious! love it. And I agree - very arbitrary.

ORU 78 Utah State 71

it'll be close - keep the dogs out on defense and keep an eye on Jaycee Carroll (20)

I think the only prediction that I can make is that it should be a very close and exciting game. I've been looking forward to this game ever since it was announced. It's great that they are starting the season off playing a great team instead of hosting a guarantee game like Oklahoma Wesleyan.

I already have my ticket. I was suprised that it cost me $15 however. 2 years ago, it would have cost me $10. I assume the ticket is $14 but even though I bought the ticket straight from the ticket office a few days ago, they added a $1 service charge. While I have no problem with ORU increasing prices in response to the increased demand, I just hope that when ORU's fortunes fade if they ever do, that ORU adjusts the ticket prices accordingly.

I am from St. Louis and am a long-time fan of St. Louis University. As some of you may have noticed when you went up there for the ORU game last season, tickets are fairly expensive because SLU jacked up the prices during the Spoonball era and the Larry Hughes year when SLU was the hottest ticket in town. SLU has been terrible for several years now and the attendence figures have dropped remarkably mainly becuase the tickets are too high to justify seeing such a bad team. They've never re-adjusted the price of tickets.

While ORU should try to make as much money as they can, I hope they realize that the gravy train they are on now might not last forever. Anyway, I didn't mean to hijack this thread, I just thought the point needed to be made. See you guys on Saturday.

While I really don't see us losing 5 conference games, I think Pom's ooc predictions could be pretty accurate. The slate of road games we have from Dec 11-31 is brutal. While I don't see us losing all of those games, it is definitely a possibility.

ORU 88-78. We pull away with free-throws at the end.

Wish I could be there but I'm flying to Cali in the morning. It would sure be fun to beat USC while I'm watching at a Sports place in southern California.

I have just a feeling,

I think ORU wins by 11pts. Slow in first half, ORU pulls away in the second.

Green will show up big, of course. They will have no answer.

Crowd will be smaller than should be. I had trouble giving away all our tickets. Lots of other things people are doing. 6000 sounds about right.

Crowd will be smaller than should be. I had trouble giving away all our tickets. Lots of other things people are doing. 6000 sounds about right.

I think you will be right on the crowd, Isbig. Lots of stuff going on in Tulsa this weekend. Will probably affect the number of people showing up.

I hate to do it...but I have to...flat shooting night for both teams...just a hunch, but that's all anybody has at this point.

USU 76

ORU 73

Guest EagleBackr

I just can't get a definite feeling about this game: contrasting styles, two GOOD teams trying to become GREAT teams, first official night out for the refs, etc. Expect some team sloppiness interjected with brilliant individual play. Lots of whistles from nervous officials means higher score due to all the free throws. So, add it up: most brilliant individual player = Caleb Green, lots of free throws = more Caleb Green. Lots of fouls = deeper ORU bench figures prominently. The Big Green Machine goes for 35 points and 14 rebounds, while Yemi emerges as this year's secret weapon as the Eagles squeak out a barn-burner, 84-80....