#15 and #24

Old Titan

Was surprised to see the two most-revered jersey numbers in ORU basketball history being worn tonight by Obi Emegano (Anthony Roberts' #15) and Korey Billbury (Richard Fuqua's #24).

Was even more surprised to learn it's being done with the coaching staff's approval.  This is the same staff that took an embarrassing hit in the local media over a decade ago when, in a clerical oversight, the same two numbers were issued to a couple of also-ran players.

Now, I don't doubt there's some sort of rationale on the coaches' part behind the move this time around, but frankly I don't care what it is - even if it was signed-off on by Richard and/or Anthony's widow Rebecca.

ORU has so few athletic traditions; it just doesn't seem right to an old-timer like me that ANYONE should be wearing those numbers.  It's not like there aren't plenty of other numbers to choose from.

I'm curious to hear what the reasoning/excuse is behind this decision. 

But, regardless of the explanation, I still think it's wrong...

OT, you're 100% right on this one!  When I saw those two numbers being used I thought, "surely these are just practice jerseys .. they won't really use them during the season!"   Is there no honor! 

It seems that there is a line of thinking in some circles that the special numbers are being "honored" ... not retired.  Poppycock!   I was there when they "retired" these numbers, and I assumed that they would not be used ever again ... that was what we were led to believe based on historical precedent in most sports.

When major league baseball "retired" number "42" was that just so they could hang it on the fence ... or was it NOT to be reissued again to a new player (current players excepted.)? 

Maybe it is a "generational thing" ... Some new player comes along who wore #15 in high school, so we say, "sure, you can have that number (nobody will notice or care).

It's a bad precedent and tradition that is being broken.    It sucks!

Absolutely DISGUSTING!!!  Shame on Coach Sutton and Mike Carter.   They might as well give the walk-ons Acres' 42 and Caleb Green's 30!

No sense of tradition or honor...what a joke this decision is.

I hope Jimmie Tramel addresses this in the Tulsa World with reaction from Fuqua and Roberts' widow.

36 numbers less the retired jerseys and Greens #30 and that leaves 32 other numbers available to 15 players. (smh)

Oh boy - how did this happen (again)? I think that the Athletic Department interprets that we retired the jersey and not the number - which is frankly not an unusual interpetation. OSU does not retire numbers. The problem is that we did not promote/market it that way.

Oh boy - how did this happen (again)? I think that the Athletic Department interprets that we retired the jersey and not the number - which is frankly not an unusual interpetation. OSU does not retire numbers. The problem is that we did not promote/market it that way.

From the OSU Athletic Department website:

"The No. 21 jersey (Barry) Sanders wore as a Cowboy is one of just three numbers (21, 34 and 43) retired at Oklahoma State."

Oklahoma State Traditions:  The Hall of Honor

That may just be for football - couldn't tell whether there were any basketball numbers retired. 

But the point is this:  once you retire the number of your greatest player(s) in your flagship sport, and you raise it to the rafters in a special ceremony before all the fans, that number no longer belongs to the current coaching staff, or the athletic department, or even the player who wore it way back when.

It belongs to the ages.

• Upvote 1

:puke:  :puke:  :puke:  :puke:  :puke:

OSU basketbal does not retire jerseys or numbers. The only number retired is the number 10 to honor the players/others killed in the plane crash.

This ain't OSU, baby.....Fuqua and Roberts' numbers are sacred.....please say it ain't so!!!..... :!:

The numbers should stay retired and not be re-used.  Perhaps it was just a simple oversight that will be corrected before the first preseason game.

Otherwise, it takes away from the importance of revering the legends and indirectly de-values the significant contributions of the current players on the team, because eventually one of them (or more) may become a legend. 

it looks official...they are listed on orugoldeneagles.com with the retired numbers...LINK

maybe the booster club will reach out to the athletic dept or school administration to fix this before the season starts.

The media guide states that Fuqua and Roberts have retired "jerseys" - not retired numbers (page 115 of the 2012-13 media guide on the orugoldeneagles.com site.

I don't mean to sound stupid or ignorant or whatever but what it the difference between a retired jersey and a retired number? I mean retired number needs no explanation but retired jersey?

I don't mean to sound stupid or ignorant or whatever but what it the difference between a retired jersey and a retired number? I mean retired number needs no explanation but retired jersey?

Retired numbers are never used again.  Retired jerseys are never used again.  :-D  :-D  :-D

page 121 of the same media guide...

Jersey numbers

(officially retired in 2001-02)
Carl Hardaway (1966-68)
Anthony Roberts (1973-77)
Matt Gastel (2000-01)

(officially retired in 2001-02)
Richard Fuqua (1969-73)
Chris Cameron (2000-01)

Courtesy: ORU Media Relations
Release: 12/20/2012
(excerpt)
This will be the fourth basketball number to be retired at ORU, and the third from the men's team, as Acres joins Anthony Roberts (15) and Richard Fuqua (24), as well as Krista Ragan-Binum (11) from the women's team.

Edit:

Lastly, Emegano wore 15 at Western Illinois and I wonder if this was a demand on his part to transfer.  (No number listed for Emegano on last year's roster.)

it's no coincidence the two numbers have not been worn for 30+ years, except for the single season a decade ago when the coaching staff publicly admitted they were issued to players by mistake.

The numbers are retired.  Period.

Now, it just remains to be seen how this latest gaffe will be "spun"....

Excerpts from Jimmie Tramel's article this past March on ORU's "retired" numbers:

Prime Numbers

JIMMIE TRAMEL World Sports Writer | Posted: Monday, March 4, 2013 12:00 am

Earlier this season, Mark Acres became only the third player in the history of the Oral Roberts men's basketball program whose jersey has been retired.

Acres' No. 42 jersey hangs alongside the No. 15 jersey of Anthony Roberts and the No. 24 jersey of Richard Fuqua in the Mabee Center.

---

A look at some of the best:

Richard Fuqua: ORU’s first All-American, Fuqua is second in career scoring and career scoring average. Led ORU in scoring four consecutive seasons and averaged single-season school-record 35.9 points as a junior. Made more field goals than anyone in ORU history. Scored 40 or more points 16 times, and 50 or more points seven times.

Anthony Roberts: Two-time All-American and fourth-leading career scorer. Owns NCAA Division I-era school records for points in a game (66) and a half (42). Scored an NCAA postseason-record 65 points in an NIT game against Oregon. Seventh in career rebounds.

Mark Acres: Four-time honorable mention All-American. Ranks among ORU’s top 10 players in 10 statistical categories, including sixth in points, fifth in field goals, third in rebounds, ninth in steals and second in blocks. Led ORU in rebounding and scoring four consecutive seasons.

Greg Sutton: All-American who played three years and set school records for career points, single-season points, single-game points (68), career 3-pointers made and career scoring average (29.5). Scored 40 or more points 13 times. Ranks third in career steals.

Eddie Woods and Caleb Green: Woods is regarded as the top rebounder in ORU history, and Green is the most decorated player of the Scott Sutton era.

Jimmie Tramel 918-581-8389