Richard Fuqua in Hospital

orumom

Richard Fuqua has suffer an aneurism and is in St Francis Hospital.  Please be praying for him.

I just talked to Richard in his room at Saint Francis.  He had what he described as "a little stroke" on his way to work this morning; was admitted to hospital with numbness in upper body.  Thinks now he might get to go home in a couple of days. He sounded strong and alert; said he appreciates everyone's thoughts and prayers.  Good news!

• Upvote 2

Great news! Please tell him that we will continue to pray for him.

• Upvote 2

Thank you Old Titan. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help him & his family. They are really good people.

A friend who visited Richard today said going home in a day or two might be a little optimistic. 

Strokes can be difficult to access in the early stages; might take some rehab time to completely determine the extent of the damage.

TheEagleman loved #24 back in the day....a great ambassador for basketball at ORU and a fine man.....prayers go out for him tonight...... :nerd:

• Upvote 1

Another alum went to see him recently and said, "I went with a group of alums to see Richard Saturday. He is in rehab at St. Francis Hospital now. The effects are stroke-like. His left side was affected and he is doing physical therapy six days a week. I am sure he would love to hear from those who knew him and that he would appreciate everyone's prayers. The doctors have given him a good prognosis, but he has a long climb ahead."

TheEagleman always loved Richard Fuqua while at ORU....what a very nice guy.....and certainly praying for a full recovery from the only guy who will ever wear #24 for ORU men's basketball..... :clap:

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Ran into Richard on Saturday night in a south Tulsa restaurant.  He and wife Gaysha were out for dinner with former ORU star Larry Baker and his wife.  And I must say, even though he was moving slowly and using a cane, Richard seemed like his old self.  We spent about 20 minutes talking AAU basketball in the Tulsa area while waiting for our tables, and he was asking about ORU's prospects this year (I tried to sugarcoat that).  He said he spent SIX WEEKS in hospital rehab, but all in all , he appeared well on the way to recovery to me.

(By the way, a big shoutout to ORU Hall of Famer Michael Hairston, who I heard took the time to deliver food and visit with Richard several times during his stay in the hospital.  Way to go, Michael!!)

• Upvote 1

great to hear he is recovering. i read on okhoops.com awhile back that he has a son at BTW starting to turn heads.  it would be neat if he ended up at ORU playing in "the house that Fuqua built."

here was the write-up:

Class of 2017
R.J. Fuqua, 5’7 PG, Booker T Washington
The freshman to be received playing time on the Hornets’ varsity and didn’t look out of place. He showed a good basketball IQ, tight handles and a good jump shot. The son of a ORU legend Richard Fuqua is one 2017 to keep an eye on down the road.

How awesome would it be for Fuqua's son to play at ORU?.....almost too much to ask.....and Larry Baker.....now there was a great team player....TheEagleman was at ORU for Baker's senior season.....excellent defender at the 3 position....glad to hear that he and Richard are still hanging out together..... :up:

great to hear he is recovering. i read on okhoops.com awhile back that he has a son at BTW starting to turn heads.  it would be neat if he ended up at ORU playing in "the house that Fuqua built."

here was the write-up:

Class of 2017

R.J. Fuqua, 5’7 PG, Booker T Washington

The freshman to be received playing time on the Hornets’ varsity and didn’t look out of place. He showed a good basketball IQ, tight handles and a good jump shot. The son of a ORU legend Richard Fuqua is one 2017 to keep an eye on down the road.

I see RJ all the time in AAU tournaments in Tulsa and Oklahoma City. 

Dude's perfect for ORU:  he's what my fiance would call "little bitty".

Glad to hear Richard is out of the hospital & doing better!  I was thinking about him the other day & wondered how he was doing.

Wait.....OT has a fiance???....let's hear more about that..... :nerd:

Wait.....OT has a fiance???....let's hear more about that..... :nerd:

Ha ha. My thought exactly, Eagleman. How is it that the most awesome poster on the message board has a fiance and this is the first that we're hearing about it? (although, Eagleman, you are a close second)