2013-2014 Schedule

Old Titan

the schedule has been released...

Slim Wilkerson returns to the Mabee Center for an exhibition as an assistant for Northwood...pretty cool that Coach Sutton would schedule a former player.

NORTHwood - not LONGwood.

Not near as funny.

But, I guess that's what happens when the initial glimpse on the website by two different people was the memory equivalent of subliminal advertising.

I'm just wondering why Central Arkansas's website agrees with conference office version of us playing in Conway on Jan. 11, with the return game in Tulsa on Feb. 22, in exact contrast to the ORU version just released.    Did the two schools flip the sites recently, and UCA just hasn't changed their website yet?

Central Arkansas Men's Basketball 2013-2014 Schedule

Reminds me of one of my favorite Mark Knopfler lyrics:  "Two men on a corner saying they're Jesus; one of 'em must be wrong."

I guess it's not so bad....yeah, we can't afford to pay Jackson St or Prairie View to come here and we might not be interested in home/home with schools like that.....if we have to play Cameron and Dallas Baptist in Mabee....so be it...let's just hope we DO win.....if we lose to either one....YIKES!....and it has happened to Cameron before......might as well tune up the young guys against some lower competition since we have to play Wisconsin, KSU, WSU, St. Louis, etc.....those are all gonna be major L's...... :nerd:

After review...it's not a true killer schedule....depending on how our young guys produce....we certainly could win close to 20....but if the young guns are shooting blanks....this could also be a 20 loss season.....TheEagleman has not a clue.....which might not come as news to some..... :wasntme:

17-14 regular season record - only thing keeping us over .500 for the year are the four non-Division 1 games (DBU, Cameron, UIW, ACU).

The D-2 games may be an easy win and all but would not help us come post season play. Same thing happened to SFA last yr! They could have easily got an at large bid if not for the D-2 games they played. Now, if we so make the tourny, then these games could affect our seeding.

I doubt that....Southland has never received an at large bid and last year wouldn't have changed.

I doubt that....Southland has never received an at large bid and last year wouldn't have changed.

Never say never. ORU was a whisper away from an at-large bid, year before last.

While not in the Southland at the time, the possibilty is there for a Southland/Summit type team to garner an at-large.

But yes, in regards to last year/SFA, I agree with you.

A couple of non D-1 games in a 31-game schedule aren't going to cost a deserving team an at-large bid.

Simple formula for a low- or mid-major to get an at-large:  "all" it takes is beating a Top 50 team (or two), going around .500 against the Top 100, and not losing to anyone outside the Top 150 (especially in your last 10 regular season games or your conference tournament). 

Do that, and it doesn't matter how bad your conference is overall.

• Upvote 1

now that we have the schedule, has anyone heard if ORU will be broadcasting home games on FCS again this year?

TheEagleman surely will be watching for an announcement on FCS coverage of ORU roundball....now that Premier League soccer has moved over to NBC Sports from Fox Soccer....the only reason that I have the sports tier on my cable is ORU basketball on FCS.....if ORU dumps it....well....then I can save $7 per month.... :nerd:

• 1 month later...

We are playing the Shockers in Wichita on December 7th. Let's hope we get a return game. (A guy can hope can't he?)

We are playing the Shockers in Wichita on December 7th. Let's hope we get a return game. (A guy can hope can't he?)

I hope your hope prevails, Terry.  As you probably know, this is a guarantee game and I think WSU has seen what other visiting teams that enter the hallowed halls of the Mabee Center have endured.  Regardless, the close proximity of our two campuses would make this a great series - just like we enjoy with Missouri State.

Yeah....hard to believe that WSU is scared of coming to Mabee Center....heck, 50% of the fans at least would be rooting for the Shockers because they travel well.....a home and home series with these guys would seem to make financial sense for both schools.... :nerd:

I think the last time we played them, we ruined the (re)opening of their remodeld arena (the Roundhouse). If I remember correctly that was the Caleb Green/Ken Tutt era.

Jordan Kaufman is from the Wichita area (Andover) and I am sure his family appreciates this game.

Jordan Kaufman is from the Wichita area (Andover) and I am sure his family appreciates this game.

A condition of his signing? 

Not unusual, if the case:  I think that's why we went to Xavier (for Warren Niles), and fairly certain why we went to Gonzaga and Great Alaska Shootout (for Damen Bell-Holter).

A condition of his signing? 

Not unusual, if the case:  I think that's why we went to Xavier (for Warren Niles), and fairly certain why we went to Gonzaga and Great Alaska Shootout (for Damen Bell-Holter).

OT

If we are playing these games as a result of signing requirements, does this reduce the amount of the guarantee that we receive?  For example, if WSU's normal guarantee is $50,000, yet they know, or suspect, that we are required to play them, do they cut our fee to a lesser amount? 

OT

If we are playing these games as a result of signing requirements, does this reduce the amount of the guarantee that we receive?  For example, if WSU's normal guarantee is $50,000, yet they know, or suspect, that we are required to play them, do they cut our fee to a lesser amount? 

No idea.

Though, I would imagine there's a sort of "going rate" in the market for guarantee games, which both parties would expect to pay/receive as part of any deal.

Of course, in a traditional "home-and-home" or "2-for-1" deal, there typically isn't any guarantee:  it's just a "you-play-us,-we-play-you" deal, with the visiting team paying its own travel expenses while getting 50 tickets or so as part of the deal.