2013-2014 Schedule

Old Titan

Anybody heard anything?

Other than opening the season at TU (in Episode #2 of "The Worst Home-and-Home Deal Ever Agreed To"), what do we know about the non-conference slate?

And, what will the conference slate look like with the addition of Houston Baptist, Incarnate Word, New Orleans, and Abilene Christian?

Found this:

http://lacrossetribune.com/sports/college/basketball/men/badgers-men-s-basketball-cancun-week-will-begin-at-home/article_9d66b8cd-1068-55ba-aa95-f703b8d45efa.html

We played in the Cancun Challenge event back in 2009 - here are the results:

Wednesday, November 18, 2009 (US)

Stanford 81, Oral Roberts 83

Thursday, November 19, 2009 (US)

Kentucky 102, Sam Houston State at 92

Virginia 79, Rider 46

Cleveland State 78, Florida A&M 64

Saturday, November 21, 2009 (US)

Stanford 99, Florida A&M 69

Kentucky 92, Rider 63

Virginia 76, Oral Roberts 55

Cleveland State 80, Sam Houston State 65

Tuesday, November 24, 2009 (Cancun)

Rider 88, Florida A&M 73

Sam Houston State 71, Oral Roberts 65

Kentucky 73, Cleveland State 49

Stanford 57, Virginia 52

Wednesday, November 25, 2009 (Cancun)

ORU 72, FAMU 51

Sam Houston State 80, Rider 68

Virginia 76, Cleveland St. 65

Kentucky 73, Stanford 65 (OT)

So, if the format is still the same, it appears we will play preliminary games on the road at two of the following schools: Wisconsin, Old Dominion, Saint Louis, or West Virginia (can't see us going to Morgantown for the second November in a row, but ya never know...)

We would then probably play two of the other low-major schools in Cancun: Presbyterian, Bowling Green or the "team yet to be announced".

The Cancun Challenge is a great tournament to attend.  I would highly recommend it if you can afford the time (and money).  The Mrs. & I made the trip in 2009 and it was a lot of fun (except for the fact that we should have beaten SHSU in the first Cancun game).  The UK/Stanford game was a great game.  The game is played in a large ballroom with the chandeliers tied up in the roof and special lighting being put in the ceiling for television.  Even though the Mayan Division looks weak (of course, we thought that in 2009, too), the two US road games should be a good opportunity to take out a power conference team just like we did Stanford (Rod Pearson's best game as an Eagle).

Would be nice to see ORU play Wisconsin....have we met up with the Badgers since beating them in the first ORU game ever at Mabee Center on 12/4/72???...TheEagleman doesn't think so..... :nerd:

Since our two games on U.S. soil will likely be within a couple of days of each other, I'm hoping we play at Wisconsin and Saint Louis, for travel sake.

Following the upset win at Stanford in '09, our guys were visibly tired at Virginia after the cross-country travel (and losing Rod to a season-ending knee injury early in that game didn't help).

As for the divisional make-up this year, the "Mayan" division is intended to be weak:  it's made up of the "low-major" (ie: small schools from 1-bid leagues) teams that have to travel to the home sites of the high-major/mid-major teams (WVU, UW, ODU and SLU) in the "Riviera" division.

Easy early prediction:  if we have to play at Wisconsin in November, we will not break 49 points in the game.

@Akron ('11-'12 BB return game)

also ref above, at WVU was 2 years ago

What I would give to get the boys to the Nashville and/or Birmingham areas...Every year I'm dissapointed, but understand the inconveniences and expenses than come with the longer distance road trips.  An ideal matchup for me would be with Vandy.  My customer account base is in Nashville and I have a good buddy who takes me to a lot of their games.  Although Vandy has the goofy "benches on the baseline" thing going.  It's very odd and I believe a big homecourt advantage for the 'Dores.  Bring on basketball season!

Go Big Blue!

Rob

Perhaps this is not the place to post this, but with the "stiffs" we will be playing in the Southland, and especially the new additions, I feel it is imperative that we face the best OOC schedule we can arrange. I am not so concerned about who that would be as I am with playing enough good teams with great RPI's so that hopefully these will boost our strength of schedule down the road. I have not attempted to figure out where the Southland's overall RPI will be next March, but with some of the teams that are in this conference I can not see it being very high.

Until we win the conference a few times, I am hesitant to start labeling out league mates as 'stiffs' or complaining about the low level of play. Just sayin'.

Good point, Voice....we didn't even make the Southland Conference Semifinals last year.....TheEagleman is all in favor of loading up our OOC schedule with a few patsies.....but I am guessing that Carter and Sutton will be matching ORU up with some more heavyweights in November and December..... :nerd:

Looks like you guys (ORU) are coming to Wichita next season:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>WSU will play Western Kentucky and Oral Roberts in men's basketball next season at home. Both guarantee games with no return.</p>&mdash;Paul Suellentrop (@PaulSuellentrop) <a href="https://twitter.com/PaulSuellentrop/status/334727656216096769">May 15, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

sorry for the screwed up embedding
  • Upvote 1

thanks for heads up DubState...shame it's a guarantee game and no return game in Tulsa.

Thanks for the info! I think the last time we played the Shockers in Wichita, we beat them on the night they unveiled the remodeled "Roundhouse".

ORU at Wichita State?.....sounds like a possible upset win for the Good Guys....bring it on!..... :nerd:

It appears we can add Abilene Christian and Incarnate Word to the list, per league directive:

The list so far:

at Tulsa

Cancun Challenge Game #1 (at Wisconsin, Saint Louis, Old Dominion, or West Virginia)

Cancun Challenge Game #2 (at Wisconsin, Saint Louis, Old Dominion, or West Virginia)

Cancun Challenge Game #3 (vs. Georgia Southern, Bowling Green, Presbyterian, in Cancun)

Cancun Challenge Game #4 (vs. Georgia Southern, Bowling Green, Presbyterian, in Cancun)

at Kansas State

at Wichita State

at Akron

Incarnate Word (non D-1)

Abilene Christian (non D-1)

That's 10 non-con games, albeit only eight that will count on our RPI.  Considering we have 18 conference games, can't see us adding but maybe one or two more, if that.

And, I don't see one single D-1 home game on that list... :@

OT,

any idea how the Cancun Challenge games work...does ORU get paychecks for games 1 and 2 as the road team?

if they don't, i'm not sure this is worth it for ORU since they use most road non-conf games to make money.