Props to the Crowd

OKC Eagle

MabeeJ is the godfather!!! He started this thing and I know that he has been there for the 3 presidents since him, and not just for advice, but to be a friend too! The idea was unique and creative, and it was student led, and that's why it works. Students have fun at the games, and that?s what keeps them coming back! And once we get a sweet 16 :D (this year, please God!!!), then it will be even that much easier to recruit kids into the club because of having a "legit team" (even though I think this years team was fantastic!!! and deserved a more consistent student section and crowd....) The club is growing at more than 100% the last 2 years, and the ideas and concepts are the same as when the thing started (granted minor things change bc of Admin, size of the club, etc...). MabeeJ deserves ALLLLLL of the credit for ORU even having a student section! (But I also have to give a lot of credit to the Athletic Department for believing in us now, without them we wouldn't be here. They give us money to do things that we need to do, and then send us to do things like the IUPUI trip, they are really making this it possible for this thing to work!!!) But MabeeJ, thanks bro, thanks for your dream, thanks for your effort, thanks for taking the time to make this thing happen 5 years ago, the future is bright, we've only just begun!!!

The Maniacs were amazing. What a great impression on ESPN! Almost every break they led out and/or in with crowd shots, and it looked like we had as many wild, crazy, all-out fans as any of the "major" schools. Granted we don't have many games on national TV, but this is the first ORU game I have ever seen where I thought that.

Major kudos to the Maniacs and everyone else in the crowd.

MabeeJ deserves ALLLLLL of the credit for ORU even having a student section!

ManiacPrez is 100% correct. Anybody who has attended ORU games since the Bill Self era has to agree that MabeeJ revitalized ORU's student section. Plus he sings a mean Jesus Freak.

Even my best friend from Memphis couldn't say enough about our students and fans on the TV. He was VERY impressed (especially) with the student section and said that last night, our student section was as good or better than the U. of Memphis student section. I agree.

Also, props to the other end zone with the old fogies! They STARTED the "Larry Owens" chant one time and then the students chimed in! First time I've ever seen our "Blue Hairs" actually LEAD the cheers!

Everything about last night was AWESOME!

Heard from an ex-ORU player that lives in Memphis last night - played with Haywoode Workman, Akin Akin-Otiko, Michael Obaseki, et al. He was excited about the win and amazed at the crowd excitment. He said we sounded great! Hopes that we get a chance at the Tigers (he may get his wish). No doubt that we did the University and Confernece proud last night with a great showing.

We were talking last night with MabeeJ and remembered when there really weren't any students & that it was only 5 years ago when he tried to sign up the first maniacs - 20 signed up.

MabeeJ - you had an awsome dream of student participation and it is fantastic to see the huge improvement!! :lol: Every year will get better. Now we aren't trying to sell an experience based on going to the NCAA Tournament 22 years ago. :D

I remember those days!! The first official "Maniac"game was vs. TU in '01..which was an awesome game even though we lost. I just remember how loud it was because the games were usually pretty laid back. This year's maniacs did a great job of making the tradition even better!!!

Wow. Thanks for the nice words, everyone. The difference between the Maniacs and years before is that good people have gotten behind it, grabbed the vision, and continued it on. Students, Golden Eagle Club, coaches, administration... I am so happy when I look at the Maniacs now. ORU Mom was right about the first year. We had 25 people who really got behind the vision, signed a contract, and got it off the ground. It could have easily been a one year undertaking. The Maniacs were and are about more than just basketball. The Maniacs exist "to represent the team who represents the school who represents Christ." (That's from the original contract.) The thought is to let people know that we as Christians have a lot to be excited about. We should be the most excited people on the face of the earth. Zac has done an unbelievable job of bringing in more people and conveying the vision of the Maniacs to them. He should be commended for doing the job he has done. It really is a job -- it takes up almost all of your time. It will pay off, though. The Maniacs were the main topic of conversation at interviews for both of my jobs I have had since graduation.

Thanks to everyone for your nice words and support of the Maniacs.

Yeah, I remember that little punk kid "Mabee J", well before he was a 'maniac'. I remember giving him guidance and advice. I remember helping him overcome his fear of pretty girls. I remember teaching him the ways of the cold, hard world.

Much of the man he is today, is because of me. With all these props you're getting 'J', don't forget your roots, boy!

Stop...Hammer Time!

had a blast at mid court near the oru bench yelling air ball with the maniacs, my son shaking the oru pom pom and the oru# 1 finger and letting joe dials little son shake the pom pom and finger and then running on the court gettting mabee maniac white all over me,dancing with the team and holding up 1984 is no more sign had a blast

joe g

Hail to the godfather!!! Hey I agree Zac has been amazing, but thanks for the vision. It's made it a great freshmen year for me and im hoping to get involved in leadership next year with it. I was wondering..... Did anyone see the kid with Mommy and the big heart on his chest on the scoreboard screen??? Cause that was me and I was pumped.... anyway, is it in ya?

Heard from an ex-ORU player that lives in Memphis last night - played with Haywoode Workman, Akin Akin-Otiko, Michael Obaseki, ....

Off the subject but amazingly, I met Michael Obaseki at a hotel in Singapore 2 weeks ago. Saw this big guy and told him you look like you've played hoops. "yeah, at a school in the midwest." Oh, yeah, where? "Oklahoma." Where in OK? Tulsa. Who was your coach? Ted Owens. Come to find out, he and Akin Akin Otiko were best friends and I saw him play in college. Small world.

Zac really does deserve A LOT of credit... He has spent countless hours this year volunteering his time for the Maniacs. He's always thinking of new ideas, in meetings all the time with the administration AD or his officers, messing with the attendance, making reservatoins etc... He's truly done an AMAZING JOB. props bro!

ORU's fans, particularly the students, generated considerable noise and were a factor in the Mid-Con championship game. For regular-season home games, the ORU crowds are more involved than are TU's.

Ditto on Zac doing a fantastic job! It was great to see the credit given to our student crowds in today's Tulsa World. Keep up the good work!!

:lol:

Yeah, I remember that little punk kid "Mabee J", well before he was a 'maniac'. I remember giving him guidance and advice. I remember helping him overcome his fear of pretty girls. I remember teaching him the ways of the cold, hard world.

Much of the man he is today, is because of me. With all these props you're getting 'J', don't forget your roots, boy!

Stop...Hammer Time!

HAMMER TIME!

I hope everyone knows that Hammer (aka Voice) was the first person to produce Maniac shirts -- gave us a pretty sweet deal if I remember. Hammer, you did guide me and even let me sub in for you a couple times on the PA at soccer games. Gotta say I miss the days of sitting in the press box on doubleheader days, going to fetch lunch for you, and learning at your feet.

A couple quick stories:

I went over to the scorer's table during a game once to tell something to Hammer. He was in the middle of an announcement and after he finished, he said to no one in particular, "Have you ever met anyone who loves their voice as much as I do?" Classic.

After I began dating my girlfriend (now wife), Hammer looked over at me at a soccer game and asked, "Odom, how in the hell did you get a girl like that?"

I ask myself the same question every day.