Are we entering the Dark Ages of ORU Basketball?

lamb740

OUCH!!.....that's not good.....not good at all.....:-|

With all due respect to ORUAlum, who is always a solid contributor, it's an unattributed quote, from some writer(?), quoting a coach, who's quoting a player's recollection of events from months before.

That's a bit far removed from the source - would love to know Korey's actual thoughts on the difference between the two programs.

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

With all due respect to ORUAlum, who is always a solid contributor, it's an unattributed quote, from some writer(?), quoting a coach, who's quoting a player's recollection of events from months before.

That's a bit far removed from the source - would love to know Korey's actual thoughts on the difference between the two programs.

forgot to post a link.........VCU enjoys luxury of learning lesssons and still winning - Richmond Times Dispatch    (for the record, i'm not in the habit of writing fake quotes and posting them -- if that was the implication)

to your other point, i guess Coach Wade could have a secret vendetta against ORU basketball or Coach Sutton.  however, i think it's more likely that he is relaying what his player told him.

i think we can all agree that it was pretty unprofessional and if Wade makes a habit of airing that type stuff it won't win him many friends in the coaching community. i would love to hear what Coach Sutton thinks about it.

1 hour ago, ORUalum said:

forgot to post a link.........VCU enjoys luxury of learning lesssons and still winning - Richmond Times Dispatch    (for the record, i'm not in the habit of writing fake quotes and posting them -- if that was the implication)

to your other point, i guess Coach Wade could have a secret vendetta against ORU basketball or Coach Sutton.  however, i think it's more likely that he is relaying what his player told him.

i think we can all agree that it was pretty unprofessional and if Wade makes a habit of airing that type stuff it won't win him many friends in the coaching community. i would love to hear what Coach Sutton thinks about it.

I was implying that the author (or blogger - I wasn't sure) of the article might have misquoted the coach, and/or the coach exaggerated Korey's comments to make a point with the writer, and/or Korey himself overly-badmouthed his past experiences at ORU to impress his new coach.

Never imagined you would have made up a quote - that would be pretty bold!

• Upvote 1

haha...prob just read it grumpy...rough morning.

now in spirit of the political season; let's get back to "Making ORU Basketball Great Again!":eagles:

• 11 months later...
On 2/19/2016 at 5:10 PM, lamb740 said:

I never said that anything less than a team with Green/Tutt would be considered "dark ages."

This season is either the FIRST year of the "Dark Ages," or one year blip where we struck out on the recruiting/team chemistry front (excluding Obi, of course) and we're back to our winning ways next season.

The whole point of this thread was to promote discussion in regards to the future prospects of ORU basketball.  Will we see another long period between NCAA tournament berths (the last gap was 22 years from 1984 to 2006), or will we get back to the promised land sooner than later?

And the drought goes to 11 years... :smirking:

• Upvote 1

Since this is the never-ending thread of hot takes, I'll throw a couple out there:

1) Maybe Green and Tutt were the "blips in the radar". Since ORU has never really produced that sustained level of success before or since (according to the standards set by the original post of this thread).

2) Watch out for the next Dark Age of ORU Basketball. At some point in the next 20 years, ORU will be good again, and then after that we'll be less good. You heard it here first.

Green and Tutt were great, but not the pinnacle of our success.  Go back to the early 70's or Mark Acres/Steve Bontrager of the late 70's/early 80's.

• Upvote 1

On 2/17/2017 at 4:31 PM, ORU82 said:

Green and Tutt were great, but not the pinnacle of our success.  Go back to the early 70's or Mark Acres/Steve Bontrager of the late 70's/early 80's.

You are absolutely right 82.

I was just mocking the vague parameters used as the basis for this thread, which continues to be bumped to the top every year ORU doesn't make the NCAA Tournament.

And I definitely misspoke, the 70's for ORU basketball were certainly the most prolific, continuing into the Bontrager, and then Acres years of the mid-80's. 

A few years after that kind of run, ORU was forced to drop to the NAIA. And NOW we're supposedly in the dark ages, this year included? Since this ridiculous thread was started, ORU won 20 games twice and had a guy almost lead the nation in scoring.

The argument is just lazy, based on player "eras". We just had a marquee player in the program, showing the entire argument makes no sense.

As pointed out in other threads, ORU's issues go back several years. The fact that we are just now having a true rebuilding year is kind of amazing. It was going to happen eventually, new coaching staff or not.

Sorry for those fans who check in late February or early March just to find out that ORU won't make the postseason. But hey, at least they can bump their own threads every year.

And sorry for the rant ORU82, none of that is directed at you! :slight-smile:

On 2/19/2017 at 3:07 PM, lamb740 said:

ManiacAlum,

Just curious, what years did you attend ORU?

2000-2004

On 2/18/2017 at 11:58 PM, ManiacAlum said:

You are absolutely right 82.

I was just mocking the vague parameters used as the basis for this thread, which continues to be bumped to the top every year ORU doesn't make the NCAA Tournament.

And I definitely misspoke, the 70's for ORU basketball were certainly the most prolific, continuing into the Bontrager, and then Acres years of the mid-80's. 

A few years after that kind of run, ORU was forced to drop to the NAIA. And NOW we're supposedly in the dark ages, this year included? Since this ridiculous thread was started, ORU won 20 games twice and had a guy almost lead the nation in scoring.

The argument is just lazy, based on player "eras". We just had a marquee player in the program, showing the entire argument makes no sense.

As pointed out in other threads, ORU's issues go back several years. The fact that we are just now having a true rebuilding year is kind of amazing. It was going to happen eventually, new coaching staff or not.

Sorry for those fans who check in late February or early March just to find out that ORU won't make the postseason. But hey, at least they can bump their own threads every year.

And sorry for the rant ORU82, none of that is directed at you! :slight-smile:

8-22 and last-place in a low-major league experiencing a mediocre year is a FAR cry from just "a rebuilding year" and simply "won't make the postseason". 

In six of the past seven seasons, ORU has lost at least 15 games on the year, and the past four campaigns have included two losing records and another just one game over .500.

Even in the NAIA years, the cupboard was not as bare:  three players from that era were 2nd-round NBA draft picks (Haywoode Workman, Greg Sutton, and Anthony Jones), the team was arguably as good (if not better) than the current roster, and the attendance was about the same as now (awful).

How "dark" do things have to get, and for how long, before this thread SHOULD resonate?

1 hour ago, ManiacAlum said:

2000-2004

Makes sense, I was a student from 2004-2008.  (1 NIT and 3 consecutive NCAA tourney berths and 4 years of attending the Summit League tournament) Consider me a "privileged" ORU basketball fan.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

How "dark" do things have to get, and for how long, before this thread SHOULD resonate?

Amen

4 hours ago, lamb740 said:

Makes sense, I was a student from 2004-2008.  (1 NIT and 3 consecutive NCAA tourney berths and 4 years of attending the Summit League tournament) Consider me a "privileged" ORU basketball fan.

Nothing wrong with that, I appreciate your perspective. Fans should expect better. I do disagree, but sorry for the harsh comments